Value of: Avs Firesale, truly this time...

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
This was not the firesale I was expecting. Lol.

That's because they're not in a firesale situation. This is just some moronic fan's overreaction thread to a team that is still showing growing pains and adjustments to a new coach/system.

Last edited:

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
That's because they're not in a firesale situation. This is just some moronic fan's overreaction thread to a team that is still showing growing pains and adjustments to a new coach/system.

And thread.

Next Avs loss we'll have more reactionary proposals.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
This thread is going to get a lot of use tonight.

Yup, let the fire sale begin and start tanking for Nolan Patrick.

Untouchables are Rantanen, Zadorov, Pickard, Bigras, Greer, and Jost ... #NextEra

Avs looking for younger pieces with high upside for the likes of Mackinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, EJ, Barrie, and Varlamov.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I never understood the point of these types of threads. A poster and/or posters say they want a firesale, so other posters come on and propose bad contracts or 3rd or 4th round draft picks for players like Mackinnon, Duchene, Erik Johnson, Barrie, Varlamov, Rantanen, Zadorov, etc. The Avs fans in turn are appalled and act outraged, and then the posters from other teams are appalled and act outraged that they can't get Mackinnon for a 4th round draft pick.

I am not sure I have ever understood the psychology behind it.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
After a game like tonight and EJ still wound up in the positive in the corsi battle. Dude is a freakin stud.

Still a process. Avs aren't doing anything dumb like many posters in here hope they'll do.

Disappointing result, but it's a process. The improvements are being made. Bednar has been nothing short of a pleasant surprise. Really happy they hired him.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
I never understood the point of these types of threads. A poster and/or posters say they want a firesale, so other posters come on and propose bad contracts or 3rd or 4th round draft picks for players like Mackinnon, Duchene, Erik Johnson, Barrie, Varlamov, Rantanen, Zadorov, etc. The Avs fans in turn are appalled and act outraged, and then the posters from other teams are appalled and act outraged that they can't get Mackinnon for a 4th round draft pick.

Because the majority of posters here that frequent these trade boards are incredibly irrational and survive off of a "game by game" basis. They refuse to look at the big picture.

The big picture for the Avs looks incredible compared to the one Roy was painting. Him quitting short notice was a blessing and the best thing that could have happened for this team.

Things will even out for the Avs and the ship will right itself as long as they keep improving their processes and getting rid of the 3 years worth of bad habits Roy taught them.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Because the majority of posters here that frequent these trade boards are incredibly irrational and survive off of a "game by game" basis. They refuse to look at the big picture.

The big picture for the Avs looks incredible compared to the one Roy was painting. Him quitting short notice was a blessing and the best thing that could have happened for this team.

Things will even out for the Avs and the ship will right itself as long as they keep improving their processes and getting rid of the 3 years worth of bad habits Roy taught them.

We should also think about the 11 teams the Avs have played.

Dallas
Pittsburgh
Washington
Tampa Bay
Florida
Winnipeg
Arizona
Nashville
Chicago
Minnesota
St Louis.

That's 9 playoff teams from last year, and Winnipeg and Arizona, who are both good young teams.

5-6 against those 11 teams, isn't too shabby.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night bud.

If you want to continue the three years of failure from this core into a fourth, sure go right ahead! They're proving my thread's accuracy almost every other night.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado

If you want to continue the three years of failure from this core into a fourth, sure go right ahead! They're proving my thread's accuracy almost every other night.

YEAH ALMOST EVERY SINGLE NIGHT....

Except for the 5 games they've won. They're 5-6, the Central isn't as good as everyone thinks it is, they're figuring it out. The biggest let down has been Varly not being Varly.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
YEAH ALMOST EVERY SINGLE NIGHT....

Except for the 5 games they've won. They're 5-6, the Central isn't as good as everyone thinks it is, they're figuring it out. The biggest let down has been Varly not being Varly.
Oh, so we need a goaler to cover up for this team's consistent mental lapses? Varlamov has had, what? 6 goals in the last 5 games in terms of help support? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind trading him, but very ignorant to think that there are not significant problems buried deep in this club.

Corsets might hide Rosie O'Donnell's fat, but it doesn't change the fact that she's still a rhinoceros.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Oh, so we need a goaler to cover up for this team's consistent mental lapses? Varlamov has had, what? 6 goals in the last 5 games in terms of help support? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind trading him, but very ignorant to think that there are not significant problems buried deep in this club.

Corsets might hide Rosie O'Donnell's fat, but it doesn't change the fact that she's still a rhinoceros.

The team is 5-6 in what might be the hardest 11 game stretch of any team in the league, which is also the first 11 games they've played under a new coach/system.

To use your metaphor, should Rosie stop dieting and exercising just because she hasn't lost 20 lbs after the first week. Or should she keep working at it, and see how it works out in the long run?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

And it says you've been a user since 2003? If you're trying to understand the psychology behind fans playing general manager of their favorite teams and the arguments that stem from that you're in the wrong place bud.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
The Avs have as many wins in their first 11 this year as they have the past two years...combined, but ya know, they're not improving or whatever.

Last edited:

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland

Do you see the certain future? Launching full rebuild adds several years to the collection of failures but it doesn't guarantee that the next core would be any different/or get so much better players

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
OP to any other team for future considerations. We'll even throw in a 2nd.

#firesale

SEPH is actually a very knowledgable Avs fan, and a great source of information for WHL players. He's just frustrated and might be over reacting a tad. I agree with him that we still need to make changes, but I'd start with Comeau, Iginla and McLeod, not anyone in the core.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I think the most frustrating thing about the current Avs is that there are so many of them playing well beneath their level. No one is debating the talent level of guys like MacKinnon, Varlamov, Landeskog, Barrie, Soderberg - but a roster this talented shouldn't be struggling to score goals, struggling to complete passes, struggling to get a ****ing shot off on a 2-on-1, wasting every single 5-on-3 PP opportunity - it gets old in a hurry, and what gets older is the lack of improvement. There are mistakes being made so obviously that all it should take for a professional hockey player is to sit down with the coaching staff, look at the game film and say "oh that was stupid, i won't do that again next game". And yet next game, there it is all over again. At a certain point you question whether you have the right players in place, talented or not.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
AVs are just deploying their Edmonton Oiler strategy ... tank for a few more years and stockpile young talent. Get a new coach and draft a generational talent and presto ...

Look how it is finally coming together for the Oilers this year after a lot of years when the only thing they could win was the lottery :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad