Value of: Avs Firesale, truly this time...

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Grigorenko-Soderberg-Iginla
Comeau-Mitchell-Colbourne
McLeod

Beauchemin-Barrie
Gelinas-Tyutin

Varlamov

Is where a "fire sale" should start, and end.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
You know, at this point I'm almost down for moving anyone, because the end result can't be much worse than what the Avs are putting on the ice right now.

Build around Rantanen, Jost, Zadorov, Bigras and Pickard. Get something juicy for MacKinnon before everyone else realizes he's spinning his tires and sincerely I hope he can find his game elsewhere because he's too good not to, but its year 4 and looking like its not happening in Colorado. Move Barrie or convert him to a winger, because he's got no clue how to defend on most nights. Move Varlamov for whatever you can get - he was not long ago a fantastic goaltender and still can be, but he's anti-clutch for Colorado and there's no point paying his contract while handing the reins to Pickard. I'm on the fence about Landeskog. Keep Duchene because his contract is reasonable for the only talented player out there who regularly looks like he gives a ****. And good lord, stop filling out this roster with the Comeau's and Colborne's of this world - pay money to guys who actually want to play professional hockey and show it.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Oh hell no. The Flames don't do that at all.

How is a potential top 5 pick not quality? Trading Landeskog for Brodie doesn't meet the whole firesale thing and the Flames wouldn't do that straight up, nevermind "starting with Brodie"

One top piece isn't how firesales work and with that 1st being a potential top 5 pick, that is a top piece.

POTENTIAL top 5 pick. You talk about the pick being a top 5 pick. What if the pick becomes a 10-15 range? Not to mention this is a weak draft, even Nolan Patrick isn't looking like an elite player.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
POTENTIAL top 5 pick. You talk about the pick being a top 5 pick. What if the pick becomes a 10-15 range? Not to mention this is a weak draft, even Nolan Patrick isn't looking like an elite player.
You and your Avalanche brethren are acting like the other pieces are bad, but they are not. A first, two very good (but not blue-chip) prospects and a contract, is hardly a bad offer. I'm not saying the Avs should pull the trigger on it, but it isn't garbage like it was made out to be. That said it is also a bad deal for the Flames, we aren't in a position to give up 3 quality assets for someone we don't really need (Gaudreau is our #1 LW and Tkachuk will be the #2 sooner rather than later) and scoring isn't really a problem for the Flames, we need to sure up our defense (a LH middle pairing defense first guy) and let our prospects develop into secondary and tertiary scoring.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
The overreacting to the team in 9 games is hysterical.

Ya'll need a nap.

Yeah it sucks, but the processes are there. The team is doing the right things.

I look forward to the team going on a 5 game win streak and the fan base bragging about it. It'll be almost as insufferable as Habs fans have been with Montreal playing above their heads.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario

Ya'll need a nap.

I look forward to the team going on a 5 game win streak and the fan base bragging about it. It'll be almost as insufferable as Habs fans have been with Montreal playing above their heads.

It's not 9 games. It's 2 seasons and 9 games.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
It's not 9 games. It's 2 seasons and 9 games.

In the last 2 seasons and 9 games, the Avs have replaced every D other than EJ and Barrie.

They only have 6 forwards still on the team today that were on the team 2 seasons and 9 games ago.

They have replaced the coach, some of the assistant coaches, a bunch of scouts, and numerous other front office folks.

But, you're right, we shouldn't wait to see the results of the changes we've already made before we starting making a bunch more changes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Avs fan here, only players that should be safe if we miss the playoffs again this year are Rants and Zadorov. Everyone else should be available.

If Mackinnon is available anyone on the sens roster not named Karlsson is up for grabs.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Ya'll need a nap.

I think I have to agree with this, takes a while to get used to a new coach and a new system.

As a sens fan the only reason their record is so good is because they have had such a soft schedule. They are banged up and squeking out wins against teams that arent very good or arent playing well.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
MacKinnon's not going to be available, regardless of what a few panicky fans are saying. It's been 9 games under a new coach and they gave MacKinnon 7 years just few months ago. Several months ago Sakic publicly said the only untouchable on the team was MacKinnon. 9 games and a 4-5-0 start isn't going to make a GM freak out and change his stance on everything.

Unless another GM feels like offering something stupid, of course.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
MacKinnon's not going to be available, regardless of what a few panicky fans are saying. It's been 9 games under a new coach and they gave MacKinnon 7 years just few months ago. Several months ago Sakic publicly said the only untouchable on the team was MacKinnon. 9 games and a 4-5-0 start isn't going to make a GM freak out and change his stance on everything.

Unless another GM feels like offering something stupid, of course.

I'm pretty sure we all know he's not available, he just signed a reasonable contract given his potential and we're not immediately shipping him out. It's just a reaction to the 3rd year in a row where we wonder when he'll actually put it all together. A player as talented as he is should have more impact on the game.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I think I have to agree with this, takes a while to get used to a new coach and a new system.

As a sens fan the only reason their record is so good is because they have had such a soft schedule. They are banged up and squeking out wins against teams that arent very good or arent playing well.

On the other hand, the Avs started the season with what might be the hardest 5 game stretch any team has all year, and still went 3-2, and looked pretty good in most of those games. Just because we took a couple bad losses to Nashville and Chicago doesn't mean that we can't fix a few little issues and still be a wildcard team.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Blues look terrible to start the season. Haven't watched the Avs but sounds like they've been terrible as well. Time for a shakeup:

:blues
Nathan Mackinnon
Mikko Rantanen

:avs
Vladimir Tarasenko
Robby Fabbri

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Blues look terrible to start the season. Haven't watched the Avs but sounds like they've been terrible as well. Time for a shakeup:

:blues
Nathan Mackinnon
Mikko Rantanen

:avs
Vladimir Tarasenko
Robby Fabbri

No.

If you're talking something around MacKinnon and Tarasenko though, I'd hear that out for sure.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
How about JT Miller and Marc Staal for Tyson Barrie?

No way in hell I do that deal from a Rangers perspective.

Staal has been playing great this year and finished last year playing well. He might be overpaid, but is still a top-4 defenseman and there's no way in hell I give up a top-4 defender and a top-6 forward for Tyson Barrie.

Drew Doughty? Alright, let's talk about ponying up pieces.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I'd do it.

Duchene's really the only one pulling his weight completely on this team right now. With Roy gone, there's never really been a worse time to trade him, and neither of those Columbus players are worth rolling the dice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad