Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
When this thread was started, Matthews was the clear favorite to be picked 1st. If he still is, it's bonkers. Laine is playing crazy good. What does he have to do to earn the consideration to be picked first? Take the Finns to the final in the Worlds and score a hattrick? Or would Matthews still be the consensus No. 1 pick? :sarcasm:

If he does that, then sure... he'll be in the conversation...will he even be at the WHC?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Of Course he is. Being the best player who plays hockey in Europe usually gets you a WHC ticket.

Oh come on. He's awesome player and deserves to be in the team. But what makes him the best player in Europe? Heck, I'd argue that Kuusela was better this season. Ramsted was better in the playoffs. A lot of players in SHL/Liiga were better than Laine.

He's as clutch as they come and I really want him to play. But the way some of you guys talk about Laine is just cringeworthy. No wonder people on this board are so sick of Finnish homers.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Oh come on. He's awesome player and deserves to be in the team. But what makes him the best player in Europe? Heck, I'd argue that Kuusela was better this season. Ramsted was better in the playoffs. A lot of players in SHL/Liiga were better than Laine.

He's as clutch as they come and I really want him to play. But the way some of you guys talk about Laine is just cringeworthy. No wonder people on this board are so sick of Finnish homers.

Kuusela was better from October to January. He was not after that. And, lol, to Ramsted being better in playoffs. Based on what? Points? 10+5 vs 5+13?

Laine wasn't even close to being the best player in Liiga when season started but he got a lot better during the season and was easily the best player in the Liiga when season ended.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Kuusela was better from October to January. He was not after that. And, lol, to Ramsted being better in playoffs. Based on what? Points? 10+5 vs 5+13?

Laine wasn't even close to being the best player in Liiga when season started but he got a lot better during the season and was easily the best player in the Liiga when season ended.

I think Laine scored more timely goals, but Ramsted was at least as important to HIFK. I'd call it a tie if that makes you feel better. But there are good arguments for both guys.

FinRanger

Jan 15, 2013
:laugh:

This is one of the funniest things I've seen in this thread. :laugh:

As for the discussion, will be interesting to see upcoming rankings. Laine had marvelous playoffs and maybe we will see him challenging for the top-spot in several rankings.

Come on! :) There are lots of different small details you could take into account when drafting. Being smart is not a bad thing when you think about understanding the system etc. Look at Toews, Tavares and Bergeron. All those 3 come across very smart in their interviews.

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
I have say this before, but i say again. I am Fin and of course i would be absolutely great to get that first first pick to Finland, but really i don't mind who goes first. I just really want to Laine or Pulju Toronto cause i am fan and it would give me some boost to watch Toronto even more than now. Still, there was Sundin who i love when he was play Toronto and hate when his play Sweden, he was so big boost Toronto back then. So i take Matthews too, but first i wanna Fin, but second i really want and we really need one of those 3 picks cause those 3 are so far away with they potential than what there is left after Matthews, Laine and Pulju.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Where as Laine has just been quietly making a name for himself and coming out of nowhere with limited exposure due to playing in European rinks throughout his short career.
Come on, there are at least 4 people in this thread that pump his tires to no end, almost on a daily basis :naughty:

But on a more serious note, same goes for Matthews for this year. There aren't many swiss on this board and no one will hype him like crazy (we would if he were swiss). And everybody else outside the scouts only has limited viewings from the WJC and maybe a few CHL games.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012

After the draft we will have both the finnish army plus a NHL team fanbase. That will be interesting :laugh:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Come on, there are at least 4 people in this thread that pump his tires to no end, almost on a daily basis :naughty:

But on a more serious note, same goes for Matthews for this year. There aren't many swiss on this board and no one will hype him like crazy (we would if he were swiss). And everybody else outside the scouts only has limited viewings from the WJC and maybe a few CHL games.

If you knew better I was pointing out to last season, when Laine was recovering from 6 month's injury which pretty much dropped him off the radar alltogether. The injury ruined his last season as Laine missed the prior off-season training program and generally looked like he was re-learning how to skate again. Before this happened Redline actually did have him as an early favourite for the #1 as thomast mentioned (think he was 15 at the time). Laine had a mountain to climb since and looks like he has almost reached the peak.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
If you knew better I was pointing out to last season, when Laine was recovering from 6 month's injury which pretty much dropped him off the radar alltogether. The injury ruined his last season as Laine missed the prior off-season training program and generally looked like he was re-learning how to skate again. Before this happened Redline actually did have him as an early favourite for the #1 as thomast mentioned (think he was 15 at the time). Laine had a mountain to climb since and looks like he has almost reached the peak.

Laine himself thought for a moment that his knee injury would be career ending injury. The knee didn't start to heal properly and it took couple months longer than expected after surgery. It was mentally very challenging time for him.

In the end the knee got back to 100% condition and rest is history.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
No, I pointed out something that happen 12 months ago. And you still won't even acknowledge neither of the Finns would of been viewed as that clutch at the WJC if it wasn't for Kapenen and Rantanen in the semi's and finals. So really, the opportunity to display what you call clutch was out of their control. I think Matthews is the better prospect, I think most sources agree with me on this, Laine may have a slightly higher ceiling. But I'm actually comparing what Matthews did at 17, to what Puljujarvi did at 17, I don't think that is going back too far, unless of course you want to ignore it to fit your narrative.

Matthews almost made the cut for the 2015 draft born Sept 17, he is over 7 months older than Laine. Are you comparing what he did last year to what Laine did at 17 this year? Really? This is the argument? Playing for a USHL team was more impressive than Laine playing in a Men's pro league, while being named the 2016 Jari Kurri Trophy for playoff MVP. Plus also being more impressive than Matthews at the WJC, while scoring and coming up big in the WJC medal round and in particular the gold medal game? If this is your argument, you are not going to win this one.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
An Interesting Article

Debate has started. More to do with Laine's fine play, than anything Matthews has done to lower his stock. Even Matthews own Agent agrees.

Patrik Laine won’t really go No. 1, will he?
LUKE FOX APRIL 26, 2016, 5:00 PM
Sportsnet

The hockey agent warns you. He is about to say something crazy.

“Everyone assumes Auston Matthews is going No. 1. A couple teams have whispered to us that it’s not a given that Matthews goes No. 1,” says Allan Walsh, whose Octagon Hockey agency represents a handful of 2016’s top prospects, none named Matthews. “There’s a possibility everyone gets surprised.”

Patrik Laine: 2016 world junior champion and all-star, 2016 Liiga champion and playoff MVP (as of Tuesday), and 2016’s second-ranked NHL Draft prospect. Number 2 with a bullet.

While Matthews, the consensus No. 1 among scouts, shockingly exited his Swiss league's post-season early, credit Laine's playoff performance in the top Finnish pro circuit for wedging 20 per cent worth of doubt.

Laine paced Tappara Tampere to its 4-2 championship series victory over Helsinki Tuesday. He scored a playoff-high 10 goals, added five assists and snatched the Jari Kurri Trophy (a.k.a. the Finnish Conn Smythe) in the process. If 13 points and a gold medal in seven games for his country at the world juniors was the mid-set climax, the Finnish league crown was a heck of an encore. Dude was 17 a week ago.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...n-matthews-edmonton-oilers-mike-liut-octagon/

IFK

Jul 25, 2003
Visit site
Matthews almost made the cut for the 2015 draft born Sept 17, he is over 7 months older than Laine. Are you comparing what he did last year to what Laine did at 17 this year? Really? This is the argument? Playing for a USHL team was more impressive than Laine playing in a Men's pro league, while being named the 2016 Jari Kurri Trophy for playoff MVP. Plus also being more impressive than Matthews at the WJC, while scoring and coming up big in the WJC medal round and in particular the gold medal game? If this is your argument, you are not going to win this one.

Also year ago, when he wasn't best shape, he still was best goal scoring in U18 with Matthews, 7 months younger, bad skating and injury who hold him to be the best what he could be.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
One of the nice things about the projected top 3 players in the upcoming draft is that they're all AHL eligible should they struggle in their first stints in the NHL

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm actually comparing it to Puljujarvi, but have fun comparing it to Laine. Nice change. But what Matthews did at USNDP was insane, and USNDP isn't just a USHL team, they play many games against NCAA programs. Passing players like Eichel and Kane, is extremely impressive, along with being the best player at last years U-18 which featured both Finns.

And again you continue to ignore that people wouldn't view Laine as clutch at the international level if it wasn't for Kapanen and Rantanen, who were the key players in getting them past Sweden, and one who scored the OT winning goal. You just ignore the fact that a massive reason the Finns won gold was that line. I truly don't believe clutch is actually a trait, players don't raise their game significantly or consistently in high pressure situations. If anything cowering from the moment is what happens to people, and there is no evidence Matthews backs away in pressure situations. The fact 8 out of 10 scouts still have Matthews one is pretty good indicator, along with the fact CSS and ISS both have Matthews at one.

Snagari

Apr 27, 2016
And again you continue to ignore that people wouldn't view Laine as clutch at the international level if it wasn't for Kapanen and Rantanen, who were the key players in getting them past Sweden, and one who scored the OT winning goal. You just ignore the fact that a massive reason the Finns won gold was that line. I truly don't believe clutch is actually a trait, players don't raise their game significantly or consistently in high pressure situations. If anything cowering from the moment is what happens to people, and there is no evidence Matthews backs away in pressure situations. The fact 8 out of 10 scouts still have Matthews one is pretty good indicator, along with the fact CSS and ISS both have Matthews at one.

Hockey is still a team game. There have been and there will be 0 players who are great every single game. You saying that you don't "believe" that players raise their game consistently in high pressure situations is funny. It's not a thing of "believing" when it has happened time and time again with players like Sakic, Messier, Roy, Lemieux, Gretzky, Forsberg etc. Laine is in that group, of course now just in the FEL and U20's scale but I believe he will do the same in the NHL.

Those clutch players perform the same no matter what the situation is, when everything is on the line. I personally believe that some players do even outperform themselves when the stakes are highest.

Teukka

Jul 17, 2007
And again you continue to ignore that people wouldn't view Laine as clutch at the international level if it wasn't for Kapanen and Rantanen, who were the key players in getting them past Sweden, and one who scored the OT winning goal. You just ignore the fact that a massive reason the Finns won gold was that line.
What you are ignoring that Laine and his line were the reason there was a tie game in the first place. Laine opened the scoring and was a very important part of the second goal. The fact that someone else happened to score the next two goals is, well, indicating that a team sport was played.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hockey is still a team game. There have been and there will be 0 players who are great every single game. You saying that you don't "believe" that players raise their game consistently in high pressure situations is funny. It's not a thing of "believing" when it has happened time and time again with players like Sakic, Messier, Roy, Lemieux, Gretzky, Forsberg etc. Laine is in that group, of course now just in the FEL and U20's scale but I believe he will do the same in the NHL.

Those clutch players perform the same no matter what the situation is, when everything is on the line. I personally believe that some players do even outperform themselves when the stakes are highest.
Every player you listed was an amazing regular season player, there games rarely rise for an entire playoffs, they just play at the same level they are always playing at. I do believe there is a small group of players who can't play under pressure and meltdown (Karl Malone in basketball is a good example of this). Clutch performance rarely carries over from season to season, lets alone across leagues. Guys like Hall and Eberle were labelled as clutch coming out of junior. I think the only reason to knock Matthews on this would be if you actually thought he was afraid of the moment, which there is no evidence of. My main point is the difference on how Matthews and Laine's tournaments are viewed is largely because Laine's teammates stepped up, while Matthew's didn't when there lines couldn't score. I would think it would be foolish to draw long term conclusions from a factor altered drastically by aspects out of there control. There are reasons to take Laine over Matthews (I still personally side with Matthews), but I don't think the clutch moniker is one of them. Laine had an amazing playoffs, and I think it was more reflective of his overall quality than of an ability to step up, I think he's more than capable of doing what he did at anypoint of the year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm actually comparing it to Puljujarvi, but have fun comparing it to Laine. Nice change. But what Matthews did at USNDP was insane, and USNDP isn't just a USHL team, they play many games against NCAA programs. Passing players like Eichel and Kane, is extremely impressive, along with being the best player at last years U-18 which featured both Finns.

Well this thread is titled Matthews or Laine. So yes you knew very well Matthews is 7 to 8 + months older than both Finns. As for comparing a 17 year old Matthews to a then 16 year old Puljujarvi in last year's tournament. If you want to keep on dwelling on last year, and ignoring the points posters have brought up this year, a more recent and weighted sample of championship games. Keep on trying to sell those points.

BTW how many goals did Matthews score in elimination games this year? If you want to count last year's gold medal game let's include them too. Since you are trying to portray him as being equals to Laine and Puljujarvi in big games.

And again no one is saying Matthews is a bad prospect. He is a great prospect, but either you are intentionally being evasive here or you simply do not understand, that most of us here are talking recent sample of games for player evaluation. Where you are recycling old samples where Matthews did not even score in the gold medal game last year. And trying to equate that as equal to what 17 year olds Laine and Pujujarvi did this year.

Last edited:

TheKurkey

May 5, 2013
Looks like we can finally compare Laine and Matthews equally when the WHC begins.
Maybe we already see them both playing against each other 3rd of May when Fin and Usa play exhibition game in Finland.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What you are ignoring that Laine and his line were the reason there was a tie game in the first place. Laine opened the scoring and was a very important part of the second goal. The fact that someone else happened to score the next two goals is, well, indicating that a team sport was played.
I specifically mentioned the Sweden game, where it was Rantanen and Kapanen were the major parts that got them past, in contrast with the USA game vs Russia, I know Laine played well in the final, and was fine in the semi's, my main point is that I don't think any long term conclusions should be drawn from one single elimination tournament.

Do you think it was right teams or scouts may of dropped Barkov due to a lackluster WJC at 17 where a majority of his points came in the relegation round, when compared to the big performance of Seth Jones?

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Well, good. looking forward to watching him play and seeing if he can perform better than Matthews.

Why bother, we know from near history this; even Laine carries his team to the end meanwhile Matthews can't he didn't perform better just because

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad