Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Like the title says two guys who could compete for 1st overall next year, I know Matthews is in the Eichel territory and that Laine is highly talked about. my questions are

1. What are your predictions??? (I.e. #1C, franchise center etc)
2. Is the Gap between between the two big or slightly even???
3. where would they go in the 2016 draft.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Laine hasn't been in the conversation for the 1st pick in about 6 months. Maybe he will not get drafted in the 1st round. Maybe he is a second round pick.

Puljujärvi is in the conversation from Finland.

Last edited:

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Laine has a lot of raw talent, but is a major head case. Will be a big gamble.

edit. so yeah, Laine isn't even in discussion for a 1st OA pick, or even a 1 round pick at this point in time.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I've stayed away from the 2016 prospects threads for a while. Can anyone quickly fill me in on what happened to Laine? Why his stock has dropped and what not?

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I've stayed away from the 2016 prospects threads for a while. Can anyone quickly fill me in on what happened to Laine? Why his stock has dropped and what not?
Skating issues and behaviour issues. I think he behaves better now though and will get drafted, but not in the first round. He has a lot of time to work on his skating. He is talented for sure.

Last edited:

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

Knee injuries which resulted in skating issues combined with ridiculous behavior (threatened to kill his coach etc).

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Laine is still extremely talented. I think he has toned down his attitude, so that leaves skating as the main concern. If he is motivated to improve his skating, he is definitely a first rounder, and could climb back to top-10 or even top-5 discussions. I'm sure he has scared teams away with his behavior, but he has elite talent. A summer spent on skating could do wonders to his game.

But if the OP wants to discuss current possible 1st picks, try Puljujärvi.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Skating issues and behaviour issues. I think he behaves better now though and will get drafted, but not in the first round. He has a lot of time to work on his skating. He is talented.

To say Laine is not going onto the first round at this point is rather extreme. His skill level might even surpass Puljujärvi's. Skating is the main thing holding him back and of course the stunts he pulled in the international team. If you look at that frame (he is huge) and consider the missed out summer due to serious knee injury it may explain a little why he disappointed this season. When it comes to scoring goals, Laine has world class talent. I'd suppose now that he has 1st hand experience of what it takes to reach the next level he will stop taking things for granted.

Anyway, right now if there's anything to be discussed it would be who goes first, Puljujärvi or Matthews (while taking in count that Chychrun should be there in the talks for the first overall).

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Skating issues and behaviour issues. I think he behaves better now though and will get drafted, but not in the first round. He has a lot of time to work on his skating. He is talented for sure.

Knee injuries which resulted in skating issues combined with ridiculous behavior (threatened to kill his coach etc).

Laine is still extremely talented. I think he has toned down his attitude, so that leaves skating as the main concern. If he is motivated to improve his skating, he is definitely a first rounder, and could climb back to top-10 or even top-5 discussions. I'm sure he has scared teams away with his behavior, but he has elite talent. A summer spent on skating could do wonders to his game.

But if the OP wants to discuss current possible 1st picks, try Puljujärvi.

Thanks guys.

Threatened to kill his coach? Seriously? Holy cow..

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
To me he looks like a sure first rounder at this point. Start of season skating was absolutely horrible but his now improved and can be damn dominant against his peers at times. When he picks the puck in defensive zone and starts a rush it looks like his got tunnel vision and his going straight to the enemy goal and try to deke past any number of players in his way. Half the time he looses the puck and is horrible turnover half the time he flies past enemies with ease. Insane hands and can deke at speed or dead puck situations. Strong on the boards, shoots puck every time he gets it in offensive zone. Can do booming tackles. Uses long stick and reach superbly in dangling and defensive plays cutting passes. Needs to learn use his teammates better and everything else that 16 year old player needs to learn. Still a special talent keep an eye on him I got feeling his going high in the draft.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not really informed about any of them I just remember people taking up Laine alot. Saying he could go first overall.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
I tend to agree in some situations/circumstances but after coaching for 15 years I believe idiot kids become idiot adults

some become, some not.. If he's just hot tempered, it will most times cool down as they get older. Major ****headness on the other hand doesnt.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
if this is based off of forwards, then Matthews and Max Jones have to be the top 2 right now...both USNDP kids are having monster years and Jones likely heads to the OHL and watch his dominance there...

but overall top 2 right now...Matthews vs Chychrun IMO..

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
if this is based off of forwards, then Matthews and Max Jones have to be the top 2 right now...both USNDP kids are having monster years and Jones likely heads to the OHL and watch his dominance there...

but overall top 2 right now...Matthews vs Chychrun IMO..

i would say Puljujärvi is in the mix also. He's in top-5 points/60mins, while playing against men. Could have produced same kind of points, if got same amount of TOI as Barkov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad