Auston Matthews vs Patrik Laine - Round V (MOD WARNING: BEHAVE!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shwaguy*

The idea that Laine can improve a tonne but Matthews will just magically stay stagnant is very funny.

Being a better hockey player is a better sign of potential and upside. Not having a big one timer :laugh:

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Its laughable really.

Laine fanbois are like:

"Laine is better than Pulju because even though Pulju hasmore raw potential Laine is already proving it."

"Laine is better than Matthews because even though Matthews is already proving it Laine has more raw potential."

Plus seemingly all of Laines weaknesses which he has few of are easily fixable.

So really he will be the best player ever. Better than his apparent comparable Lemieux.

I like Laine but the over hyping has made it near impossible to not argue back.

FFS.

Thank you for putting this into words, I too love Laine, but the overhyping is getting to a crazy level here and I am finding myself getting sucked into them just because the arguments are so illogical.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
On Laine's skating: He had a really bad knee injury that affected his skating. In last offseason he went from very bad to ok, wouldn't be surprised if he went from ok to good or great in the next. He's still better skater now than Barkov was at the same age. I doubt he'll ever be as good skater as Matthews though.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
It's just a freaking fact! I didn't say that Laine will have a bigger upside, he hasn't shown as much of his best as Auston, so therefore automatically he will have more to show in the future compared to Matthews! It's logic, there's nothing else to it.

I didn't say Matthews won't show us his skills in the NHL or anything like that but you have to agree that we will see more evolving from Laine from here to the future compared to Matthews. Matthews is so close to the NHL so he naturally will have less to evolve into? What's he going to turn into, there's not a level above ''NHL player'' in our world we live in. Why are people thinking I'm writing this as a negative thing?

Maybe there are the tiers of NHL players but if we're going to get into those, it's a crapshoot. Nobody will know.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
The idea that Laine can improve a tonne but Matthews will just magically stay stagnant is very funny.

Being a better hockey player is a better sign of potential and upside. Not having a big one timer :laugh:

I don't know, the big one timer worked pretty good for Happy Gilmore...then again he was forced into professional golf. Wait a minute, is that what we should expect from Laine?;)

skillhockey

Feb 26, 2013
On Laine's skating: He had a really bad knee injury that affected his skating. In last offseason he went from very bad to ok, wouldn't be surprised if he went from ok to good or great in the next. He's still better skater now than Barkov was at the same age. I doubt he'll ever be as good skater as Matthews though.

Yeah, he will be good still. No need to be like wind with that size. Also matthews skating isn't his strength. Half team usa is faster and more agile.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Thank you for putting this into words, I too love Laine, but the overhyping is getting to a crazy level here and I am finding myself getting sucked into them just because the arguments are so illogical.

For me it's the other way around :laugh:
People saying stuff like Laine only has his shot, Matthews is better in everything else.

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
I don't know, the big one timer worked pretty good for Happy Gilmore...then again he was forced into professional golf. Wait a minute, is that what we should expect from Laine?;)

And only AM gets downplayed and Laine hyped?

Theres been posts of Laine being one trick pony who can barely skate at pro level, when Matthews is Selke +ppg.

It goes both ways in this thread and its dumb as f*** everytime.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Its laughable really.

Laine fanbois are like:

"Laine is better than Pulju because even though Pulju hasmore raw potential Laine is already proving it."

"Laine is better than Matthews because even though Matthews is already proving it Laine has more raw potential."

Plus seemingly all of Laines weaknesses which he has few of are easily fixable.

So really he will be the best player ever. Better than his apparent comparable Lemieux.

I like Laine but the over hyping has made it near impossible to not argue back.

FFS.

The overhyping of Laine is about the same as the overhyping of Matthews...it's just that the overhyping of Matthews isn't annoying to you personally or, alternatively, you are unable to appreciate how much Matthews is also being overhyped.

Out of curiosity for those who "support" team Laine: what is one weakness he has that he won't be able to overcome?

Why don't you start by naming a deficiency in Matthews' game that you think will hold him back.

Mahonkinen

Sep 18, 2013
Out of curiosity for those who "support" team Laine: what is one weakness he has that he won't be able to overcome?

I dont think he has that kind of weakness. I used to think that it hes hot temper, but he has pretty much fixed it now and might be even a strenght to have that fire inside of him.

Maybe backhand shot. :D

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012

I'm not team Laine but I don't think he won't overcome any of his "weaknesses". Despite what others have said I don't think he's one dimensional. His skating might make his adjustment to the NHL a little tougher but plenty of ok skaters have had great careers in the league.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It's hilarious. Even if you outline one single attribute that you think Laine has over Matthews (which he has plenty), the few people here come swarming at you with "there's noway in *** he can be better than Matthews!".

Whoever said that if Matthews scores 40 goals, then Laine scores 50 goals a season or a ceiling or whatsoever was pretty accurate. Laine is a lot more dynamic in the offensive zone and has shown some crazy craftiness, especially when he's being marked down. He finds a way to create a chances for the team mates by high creativity, vision and tape-to-tape passes, even from the back hand. When he eventually grows into the frame it's going to be pretty damn nasty trying to take the puck away from him. Matthews seems to have more direct approach, uses quick short passes to create space and has a pretty good shot himself, not Stamkos good but still deadly accurate. He's not nearly as lethal as Laine however, if you let Laine alone even for a moment, the puck finds a way to the center point. Especially in FEL playoffs, teams had to design their penalty kill units to stop him and Laine always managed to find new ways to get around the traps. People talk a lot about his shot, get blinded by it and often do not even realise how high hockey IQ this guy possess.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It's just a freaking fact! I didn't say that Laine will have a bigger upside, he hasn't shown as much of his best as Auston, so therefore automatically he will have more to show in the future compared to Matthews! It's logic, there's nothing else to it.

I didn't say Matthews won't show us his skills in the NHL or anything like that but you have to agree that we will see more evolving from Laine from here to the future compared to Matthews. Matthews is so close to the NHL so he naturally will have less to evolve into? What's he going to turn into, there's not a level above ''NHL player'' in our world we live in. Why are people thinking I'm writing this as a negative thing?

Maybe there are the tiers of NHL players but if we're going to get into those, it's a crapshoot. Nobody will know.

That still doesn't make sense. It's not as though Matthews is suddenly going to stagnate in all of the areas he excels in and then Laine is just going to evolve into a greater player because he lacks in some areas that Matthews doesn't. Laine may not fix some things in his game, that is absolutely possible too. Plenty of players who were/are more raw never managed to put it all together. Laine won't have that issue since he has many aspects that would seemingly translate well to the next level but you seem to have a skewed vision as to how development occurs.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
The overhyping of Laine is about the same as the overhyping of Matthews...it's just that the overhyping of Matthews isn't annoying to you personally or, alternatively, you are unable to appreciate how much Matthews is also being overhyped.

Why don't you start by naming a deficiency in Matthews' game that you think will hold him back.

Incorrect. I actually watched very little of Matthews and didnt understand the hype until watching him recently.

I'm not a Toronto fan and Finland is my second team (somewhat tied with Russia) behind Canada.

Not sure what me having to name a weakness for Matthew has to do with my question. It doesnt nullify it.

But if there are a couple of weaknesses Matthews has that will keep him from being better that he will be that is probably his aggressiveness level and he skill level is stilla notch below a guy like Crosby.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com

That doesn't make a ton of sense. Laine will be better later on because he is not showing it now ? Could you explain that some more ?

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
Nobody compares Matthews to Crosby.

That only happens because Laine fanbois think Laine is the next Ovi.

I wasn't implying that anyone has compared Matthews to Crosby, and I believe the Ovi comparisons are how Laine scores very similar to Ovi in "Ovi's office".
What I was impying was how one poster indicated that the difference between Matthews and Laine can be looked at how Crosby and Ovi's game differ. One is the complete all-round Center and the other is an electrifying sniping winger. Hope that helps the confusion :)

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
That still doesn't make sense. It's not as though Matthews is suddenly going to stagnate in all of the areas he excels in and then Laine is just going to evolve into a greater player because he lacks in some areas that Matthews doesn't. Laine may not fix some things in his game, that is absolutely possible too. Plenty of players who were/are more raw never managed to put it all together. Laine won't have that issue since he has many aspects that would seemingly translate well to the next level but you seem to have a skewed vision as to how development occurs.
I'm having trouble trying to say it correctly in English. I'm not talking about Matthews stagnating, rather Laine evolving more just because he will have to if he wants to make it in the NHL. It's about how much they will evolve rather than what they will end up being as players in the end. Laine will have to do more work than Matthews to become a superstar. <-- I think that is the way to convey this correctly.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Incorrect. I actually watched very little of Matthews and didnt understand the hype until watching him recently.

I'm not a Toronto fan and Finland is my second team (somewhat tied with Russia) behind Canada.

Not sure what me having to name a weakness for Matthew has to do with my question. It doesnt nullify it.

But if there are a couple of weaknesses Matthews has that will keep him from being better that he will be that is probably his aggressiveness level and he skill level is stilla notch below a guy like Crosby.

Actually, your post is just establishing that I'm correct.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I'm not team Laine but I don't think he won't overcome any of his "weaknesses". Despite what others have said I don't think he's one dimensional. His skating might make his adjustment to the NHL a little tougher but plenty of ok skaters have had great careers in the league.

If he can overcome all his weaknesses he will be the best player ever.

The point is whenever something is brought up in regards to his weaknesses the response is immediately "no thats not a weakness of his" or "he can easily overcome that".

Lets look at Ovi who gets touted as a comparable and who is well on his way to being one of the best ever goalscorers. A lofty level of comparison indeed. Does he have weaknesses?

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
I wasn't implying that anyone has compared Matthews to Crosby, and I believe the Ovi comparisons are how Laine scores very similar to Ovi in "Ovi's office".
What I was impying was how one poster indicated that the difference between Matthews and Laine can be looked at how Crosby and Ovi's game differ. One is the complete all-round Center and the other is an electrifying sniping winger. Hope that helps the confusion :)
Yes I understand you werent per se. However I have not seen anyone seriously compare Matthews to Crosby.

I have however seen many compare Laine to Ovi.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Yes I understand you werent per se. However I have not seen anyone seriously compare Matthews to Crosby.

I have however seen many compare Laine to Ovi.

Many have corrected themselves to only talk about how their shooting is similar, skating is ways to go with Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad