What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
He is a very good regular season player but he just sucks in the playoffs, what the biggest issue with Marner?

He will blame the media but he does not help himself in any way by shutting up his critics. Maybe his father is too involved in his career.

If the Maple Leafs lose this series and Marner does not make an impact, there will be massive questions and Marner can't blame the media.

Mitch Marner reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau in Calagry.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
When he was younger, he wasn't bad in the playoffs.

He put up some points but also competed and it seemed like he would be fine with more experience.

But now it seems like he has some sort of a mental block and he doesn't look very noticeable out there.

To be honest, his skills seem to have diminished somewhat in general. He gets his assists but seems less dynamic and not as skillful with the puck or as good at driving the play offensively.

Last edited:

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
While it doesn’t speak to other postseason performances, he’s clearly not fully healed from his high ankle sprain. Anyone that has had a severe one knows how long it takes to get to 100%. The guy just isn’t skating like he can out there and I don’t doubt that’s the reason.

That aside, it just seems he hasn’t adapted his game to playoff hockey. He’s had some good performances in the past, but hasn’t really put this together.

Last edited:

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
he's just a soft player on a soft team.

The Leafs aren't a soft team.

Mentally and/or psychologically, maybe they are. But physically, they really aren't.

Their best players can be thrown off their games when the physicality ramps up, though.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Even prior to his high ankle sprain he hasn't looked right for most of the season. Noticably slower and less explosive, whether it's just an off year for him or a sign of physical decline coming up it's something to monitor for future seasons. It's a concern going forward either way.

He's soft as butter too, but that's less of a concern. He's not a very physically gifted player.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal

Mentally and/or psychologically, maybe they are. Bot physically, they really aren't.

Their best players can be thrown off their games when the physicality ramps up, though.
Throwing hits isn’t a measure of a soft or tough team at all.

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Even prior to his high ankle sprain he hasn't looked right for most of the season. Noticably slower and less explosive, whether it's just an off year for him or a sign of physical decline coming up it's something to monitor for future seasons. It's a concern going forward either way.

He's soft as butter too, but that's less of a concern. He's not a very physically gifted player.
I think there is a big difference in his play, post injury. Part of it is that he also needs to adapt to playing with Tavares now, which he hasn’t all season.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022

Mentally and/or psychologically, maybe they are. But physically, they really aren't.

i dont put too much weight on hits since they are tracked by the home team and it might be more a reflection of playing without the puck. when you look just away games the leafs drop down from 2nd to 10th so they are likely getting some help from the stat trackers. still thats better than i would have originally thought for the leafs. the stats i would be more interesting in seeing, not even sure if its tracked, are the number of board battles and percent of board battles won.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How may guys of his ilk are post-season dynamos? He's a smaller, finesse winger. That results in him being a target and it shows.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Failure to make adjustments and settles for perimeter play. Recently can back from a high ankle sprain and his skating doesn’t seem like it’s 100% as well. A perimeter player with hindered skating isn’t very effective.

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
i dont put too much weight on hits since they are tracked by the home team and it might be more a reflection of playing without the puck. when you look just away games the leafs drop down from 2nd to 10th so they are likely getting some help from the stat trackers. still thats better than i would have originally thought for the leafs. the stats i would be more interesting in seeing, not even sure if its tracked, are the number of board battles and percent of board battles won.

Yeah, I'd be interesting in seeing those numbers as well.

Anyway, I'm not trying to suggest the Leafs are some badass team. I know what their reputation is and they have a lot of work to do to change it.

I'm just saying that they aren't a team of midgets who constantly get bullied and pushed around physically.

They have guys who are willing to get physical.

The areas they're really lacking in are areas like poise and mental toughness. There are many instances where they get an opportunity they would score easily on in the regular season but squander in the playoffs. If you look at advanced stats over the years for the playoffs, they seem to routinely perform below expectations when it comes to converting on scoring chances. That's not just because of bad luck.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
giphy.gif

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
Yeah, I'd be interesting in seeing those numbers as well.

Anyway, I'm not trying to suggest the Leafs are some badass team. I know what their reputation is and they have a lot of work to do to change it.

I'm just saying that they aren't a team of midgets who constantly get bullied and pushed around physically.

They have guys who are willing to get physical.

The areas they're really lacking in are areas like poise and mental toughness. There are many instances where they get an opportunity they would score easily on in the regular season but squander in the playoffs. If you look at advanced stats over the years for the playoffs, they seem to routinely perform below expectations when it comes to converting on scoring chances. That's not just because of bad luck.
i think what you are seeing now is the end result of dubas valuing skill above all else. they could really use more players like hyman, kadri, and marchment

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
1714237383779.gif

He plays like a scrubby Mitch. Puck flub Mitch. If you say it fast it sounds like..

Feel bad if he’s hurt, but he’s generally pretty bad in the playoffs, like, always. At least he hasn’t flipped any over the glass, yet.

Reactions: Bard Marchand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad