Confirmed with Link: Athanasiou signed 1/$1.3875m

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Win or lose, I'll still be critical of him. Especially if its the same ol AA that shows up.

IMO a 23 year old making 1.4 is about the least of our concerns, but I do value your honesty.

Redder brought this up before: we are biased. We see the world through our own eyes, it's totally natural to have opposing views of anything under the sun including hockey players. I'm amused AA has drawn such scrutiny but each unto their own.

As for the PK discussion Athanasiou was used in GR and I know with the Wings as well. We can't expect the earth-shattering dominance of Glendening and Miller, but please give the kid another shot. :sarcasm:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I can live with this contract. The pressure is all on him to get his game together, and if he does, he'll earn more money next year.

Pressure? Ahaha! I'm sure a young, millionaire pro athlete like AA having the time of his life is feeling a pretty heavy strain right now.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Pressure? Ahaha! I'm sure a young, millionaire pro athlete like AA having the time of his life is feeling a pretty heavy strain right now.
Yea, i always thought that was the funny thing about sports. We make it out like these kids have such problems, they can't get in the lineup, they get stuck with bad linemates, they get bad puck luck, whatever.

Thing is, no matter what happens, next year he has a million dollars. Most people would love to make that salary over 10 years working 40 hours every week.

He could f*** off from hockey and open a shitty bakery next year and have a pretty good life.

But yea I'm sure his agent screwed him real bad by setting him back a couple weeks. Poor guy.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I'd like to see a definitive answer, I think there are two possible scenarios:

A) AA signed for a $1.3875m salary in 2017-18. He will actually be paid a pro-rated $1.25m after missing 8.6% of the season as of today. His $1.3875m AAV will be increased to $1.52m AAV due to the RFA mid-seasoning signing rule.

B) AA signed for a $1.25m salary is 2017-18. He will actually be paid a pro-rated $1.1425m after missing 8.6% of the season as of today. His $1.25m AAV will be increased to $1.3875m AAV due to the RFA mid-season signing rule.

I'm inclined to think the answer is (A) because if it were (B) then the reported $1.3875m amount would depend on the precise day that the Wings free up cap space and formally registered AA's contract with the NHL. The cap number would change with every additional day of delay.

Again, would love to see a definitive answer. We'll know pretty quickly once it becomes formal and we see the actual numbers on CF.
CF states the cap hit is $1,387,500

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Any idea of when he gets into the lineup? At Tampa on Thursday? Or in FLA on Saturday?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think we need to be aware of how we're going to define a successful season for him at this point. He's not going to set foot on the ice until at least 10 games are already off the schedule, he's missed all of camp/preseason, and I'm not sure he's even skated in an organized practice in Switzerland at this point. If he can go out and put up 30 points this year, that could end up being close to .5 ppg, which I would have to look at as a success points wise.

Other than that, I think a lot of it will be how much he dedicates himself to playing a more complete game. If the points aren't there but he plays a good, hard game the majority of nights, that's a big win for this season in my books.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yea, i always thought that was the funny thing about sports. We make it out like these kids have such problems, they can't get in the lineup, they get stuck with bad linemates, they get bad puck luck, whatever.

Thing is, no matter what happens, next year he has a million dollars. Most people would love to make that salary over 10 years working 40 hours every week.

He could **** off from hockey and open a ****ty bakery next year and have a pretty good life.

But yea I'm sure his agent screwed him real bad by setting him back a couple weeks. Poor guy.

Even so though, I’m sure he doesn’t want to be awful. It is all relative. AA has the pressure of impressing his team or another team to get more guaranteed money. He sucks? Gravy train stops and he’s pretty much SOL as he’s spent so much of his youth training to be a great hockey player. He basically gets a short window to make a whole lot of money.

His agent misplayed his negotiation. Instead of 3.8M guaranteed... AA now has to perform at a level worthy of a 2.5M contract to get the same money. And if he puts up 29 points in 64 games agajn, I don’t think that does it.

He needs to be great this year or he will have left money on the table.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Even so though, I’m sure he doesn’t want to be awful. It is all relative. AA has the pressure of impressing his team or another team to get more guaranteed money. He sucks? Gravy train stops and he’s pretty much SOL as he’s spent so much of his youth training to be a great hockey player. He basically gets a short window to make a whole lot of money.

His agent misplayed his negotiation. Instead of 3.8M guaranteed... AA now has to perform at a level worthy of a 2.5M contract to get the same money. And if he puts up 29 points in 64 games agajn, I don’t think that does it.

He needs to be great this year or he will have left money on the table.

If he gets 15-17 minutes a night, he'll improve on last year's numbers.
And when Holland overpays Larkin and doesn't have enough room to sign Mantha and Athanasiou, he'll have to trade Athanasiou before arbitration

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

He could **** off from hockey and open a ****ty bakery next year and have a pretty good life.

Problems are all relative. AA doesn't live in a world where a million dollars as one year's salary is a ton of money - he works in a place where he makes less than average and just stayed home from work for a month because he was fighting his bosses for a raise. It doesn't take much empathy to understand how this would be a grueling situation that involved a lot of psychological factors - challenging his own self-worth, potentially ostracizing himself from a big part of social network, workplace scrutiny, etc. That's not to say he is some victim but its also not hard to put yourself in his shoes and see why this situation would result in him feeling the pressure.

Reactions: njx9

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Problems are all relative. AA doesn't live in a world where a million dollars as one year's salary is a ton of money - he works in a place where he makes less than average and just stayed home from work for a month because he was fighting his bosses for a raise. It doesn't take much empathy to understand how this would be a grueling situation that involved a lot of psychological factors - challenging his own self-worth, potentially ostracizing himself from a big part of social network, workplace scrutiny, etc. That's not to say he is some victim but its also not hard to put yourself in his shoes and see why this situation would result in him feeling the pressure.

Yea i really do understand all that but it's really hard not to dwell on all the things i could accomplish with a million dollars.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Yea i really do understand all that but it's really hard not to dwell on all the things i could accomplish with a million dollars.

I get that but you're probably coming at this from the perspective of someone who would see $1M+ as a windfall. AA and those around him likely see $1M as part of his career trajectory. He's already anticipating making NHL dollars. I'd liken it to someone who just got their JD, MD, or MBA from a top university. If they were to come out of those schools making $80k a year, that sounds great to a lot of people, but to their classmates and peers an $80k salary would raise some questions as to what went wrong. Why aren't they making $120k? For anyone who isn't supremely self-assured (which most 23 year olds aren't), $80k wouldn't feel so great because of the pre-existing expectations based on their educational credentials.

Beltv

Apr 13, 2017

After taxes, agent fees, escrow and whatever else.....he wont even have half of that. Granted, hes still in good shape for his age and will make more later, he won't just have a million bucks sitting there.

TheObserver

Mar 14, 2015
guys can someone tell me why AA was not getting enough playing time last year.

Why is Dylan Larkin getting more attention?

when ever i watch the redwings play, I usually see AA performing better than larkin.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
A combination of him being pretty poor defensively, and Blashill not liking him

Because hes a better player

I don't think so.
I think Larkin is pretty mediocre defensively. He gets a pass because he's a young guy. But AA has played fewer NHL games and doesn't game the same pass.

Larkin's -28 wasn't a fluke.
He sucked.

He was -45 since Feb. 8 of his rookie season.
That's a minus every other game almost.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I don't think so.
I think Larkin is pretty mediocre defensively. He gets a pass because he's a young guy. But AA has played fewer NHL games and doesn't game the same pass.

Larkin's -28 wasn't a fluke.
He sucked.

He was -45 since Feb. 8 of his rookie season.
That's a minus every other game almost.

Larkin played against top lines. AA played against third lines. Its not the same. Even Mickey knows that +/- isn't a great stat and needs to be taken with a ton of salt.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Larkin played against top lines. AA played against third lines. Its not the same. Even Mickey knows that +/- isn't a great stat and needs to be taken with a ton of salt.

Larkin's quality of competition, measured by CF%, was only slightly tougher than Larkin's.

Did you forget that Larkin spent a lot of the year on Line 3 himself? Facing weaker competition?

The one thing you can claim about Larkin is that he was sheltered to the same extent as Athanasiou in terms of Zone Starts.

But that whole line of thinking is dumb Blashill thinking.

I WANT Athanasiou starting in the D-zone because he turns D-zone into O-Zone better than anyone on the team.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin's quality of competition, measured by CF%, was only slightly tougher than Larkin's.

Did you forget that Larkin spent a lot of the year on Line 3 himself? Facing weaker competition?

The one thing you can claim about Larkin is that he was sheltered to the same extent as Athanasiou in terms of Zone Starts.

But that whole line of thinking is dumb Blashill thinking.

I WANT Athanasiou starting in the D-zone because he turns D-zone into O-Zone better than anyone on the team.

No he doesn't. He turns neutral ice into o-zone pretty well.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
No one denies that AA is an elite transition winger, it's just what happens the longer he's in either zone that he needs to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad