Confirmed with Link: Athanasiou signed 1/$1.3875m

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Tatar-Zetterberg-Mantha
Athanasiou-Larkin-Nyquist
Abdelkader-Nielsen-Frk
Wilson-Glendening-Helm
Booth-Witkowski

I seem to remember Tatar-Z-Mantha worked well at times last year. Z and Mantha have been decent together, I'd flip Tatar ad Nyquist. Nyquist hasn't done anything.

PP1
Nyquist-Z-Mantha
Tatar-Green

PP2
Athanasiou-Larkin-Nielsen
Frk-Daley

Get 55 & 8 off the PP and we will see immediate improvements.

Reactions: Redder Winger

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I like those lines Red Wingz.
I thing you need to separate Z and Nyquist, who are probably our best passing forwards.
Larkin and Athanasiou would both benefit from playing with Nyquist

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I'm just glad the Wings started sucking before he rejoined the team so people can't blame him.

That's just a silly comment and shows a rather low opinion on the people here in this forum. I know you hitched on to AA during his holdout and many were against him then, but try not to mistake annoyance over a petulant kid's holdout demands over our respective knowledge of the game and this team.

Many here have been wanting AA to get a bigger role on the team for a while now. Many here have been wanting AA to get more ice time for a while now. Many here want AA on this team and are glad he signed. Many here knew and stated well before the season started that this team would suck. I highly doubt that an informed community such as this one would start blaming the woes of this awful team on AA - but I guess you just want to keep beating that 'Redder Winger And Athansiou against the whole world' drum. Time to let it go man, we like the kid and want him to succeed, you're not on that hill alone anymore. AA is not even on that hill anymore.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
That's just a silly comment and shows a rather low opinion on the people here in this forum. I know you hitched on to AA during his holdout and many were against him then, but try not to mistake annoyance over a petulant kid's holdout demands over our respective knowledge of the game and this team.

Many here have been wanting AA to get a bigger role on the team for a while now. Many here have been wanting AA to get more ice time for a while now. Many here want AA on this team and are glad he signed. Many here knew and stated well before the season started that this team would suck. I highly doubt that an informed community such as this one would start blaming the woes of this awful team on AA - but I guess you just want to keep beating that Redder Winger And Athansiou against the whole world drum. Time to let it go man, we like the kid and want him to succeed, you're not on that hill alone anymore. AA is not even on that hill anymore.

You're the one who is "annoyed" over a "petulant kid."
I saw it as a contract negotiation.

But I guarantee you that if this team would have been 6-2-1 when Athanasiou joined the team, and then started playing like they've played recently, people on this forum would be blaming Athanasiou.

There's no doubt in my mind.

Not everyone, of course. But enough that it would have been an issue that was debated here.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

But I guarantee you that if this team would have been 6-2-1 when Athanasiou joined the team, and then started playing like they've played recently, people on this forum would be blaming Athanasiou.

Not everyone, of course. But enough that it would have been an issue that was debated here.

I'm not annoyed. He's signed and I'm looking forward to having him in the line up - I appreciate you informing me how I'm feeling about the situation though.

You should really read through some of the older threads and get an understanding how the vast majority of people here know and understand that this team is bad. I guarantee there will be more of a microscope on AA now, but had we started our inevitable nose-dive when he signed on, I'm quite certain that the vast majority of fans here would have seen it for what it was: A bad team living up to being bad, without needing AA to be a catalyst for our downfall. I think you're on a desperate hunt to maintain your us against the world position with AA. Let it die man, you two made your heroic stand, no doubt he's resting easier at night knowing he and his agent are no longer alone. Save it for the next contract negotiation and don't lets try to invent a hypothetical just so you can stand at his side once again.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'm not annoyed. He's signed and I'm looking forward to having him in the line up - I appreciate you informing me how I'm feeling about the situation though.

You should really read through some of the older threads and get an understanding how the vast majority of people here know and understand that this team is bad. I guarantee there will be more of a microscope on AA now, but had we started our inevitable nose-dive when he signed on, I'm quite certain that the vast majority of fans here would have seen it for what it was: A bad team living up to being bad, without needing AA to be a catalyst for our downfall. I think you're on a desperate hunt to maintain your us against the world position with AA. Let it die man, you two made your heroic stand, no doubt he's resting easier at night knowing he and his agent are no longer alone. Save it for the next contract negotiation and don't lets try to invent a hypothetical just so you can stand at his side once again.

A player earning $1.35M on a team with an $80M payroll is deserving of a microscope on his play.

Are you telling me you disagree with my statement? That if this team was 7-2-1 when Athanasiou joined, and the team suddenly started playing to it's actual mediocre level, that we wouldn't have people talking about Athanasiou's defense, Athanasiou being a clubhouse distraction, Athanasiou ruining the lines, Athanasiou being a cancer, etc.

The club's recent play pretty much throws that line of thinking out the window.

And I'm glad. Because I won't have to waste time arguing against something so ridiculous.

That's my point.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
A player earning $1.35M on a team with an $80M payroll is deserving of a microscope on his play.

Are you telling me you disagree with my statement? That if this team was 7-2-1 when Athanasiou joined, and the team suddenly started playing to it's actual mediocre level, that we wouldn't have people talking about Athanasiou's defense, Athanasiou being a clubhouse distraction, Athanasiou ruining the lines, Athanasiou being a cancer, etc.

And I'm glad. Because I won't have to waste time arguing against something so ridiculous.

That's my point.

A player making 1.35M shouldn't have a microscope held over his player - but a player who holds out signing a contract and threatens to jettison his talents to another league will be under a microscope whether it's fair or not. That's just how it will be, so I hope AA puts his best foot forward and can be the skilled player that he is and a team player.

Yes, I've already told you that I disagree with your statement. Most of us here already know the team is bad and most would know better than to suggest that Athanasiou's signing suddenly made the team bad. the club's recent play is what we've been expecting to see this season, it has nothing to do with AA.

I'm also glad that you will not have to argue about the hypothetical happenstance that you introduced to the discussion. Point well taken.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

That's my point.

If AA continues to back-check only half the time, not use his teammates very often those criticisms are going to maintain good or bad.

AA's not a superstar, hopefully he is ready to go. I like his moments of greatness, but there is a lot more in there for him to access. I hope he is getting ready to do that. The next contract he wants depends on him doing those things a lot better.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Yep, he is apparently very self confident. Now he has to prove himself

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London

Without wishing to be rude, this does come across as excessive paranoia on behalf on someone else.
You'd be hard pressed to find 10 people on this whole forum who don't think AA makes this team bette, especially when the alternative is 5 mins a night of Booth or Witkowski.

The majority thinking that £1.9m a year was a fair offer because AA is a player who has yet to show that he can overcome his weaknesses to be a genuine undoubted top 6 forward has nothing to do with thinking the guy isn't better than a 4th line scrub.

You may have no doubt in your mind, and be able to guarantee what you want, but when we lose a game we should have won vs Washington because the otherwise excellent Helm misses and empty net and we get pinged on a bad call, or if we lose to Vancouver because the whole team plays like crap, no-one is going to pin it on AA. Hell, if no-one has even tried to pin either on Ericsson, I think your stance here is merely an unwillingness to abandon a bunker mentality when there isn't even a bunker anymore...

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Without wishing to be rude, this does come across as excessive paranoia on behalf on someone else.
You'd be hard pressed to find 10 people on this whole forum who don't think AA makes this team bette, especially when the alternative is 5 mins a night of Booth or Witkowski.

The majority thinking that £1.9m a year was a fair offer because AA is a player who has yet to show that he can overcome his weaknesses to be a genuine undoubted top 6 forward has nothing to do with thinking the guy isn't better than a 4th line scrub.

You may have no doubt in your mind, and be able to guarantee what you want, but when we lose a game we should have won vs Washington because the otherwise excellent Helm misses and empty net and we get pinged on a bad call, or if we lose to Vancouver because the whole team plays like crap, no-one is going to pin it on AA. Hell, if no-one has even tried to pin either on Ericsson, I think your stance here is merely an unwillingness to abandon a bunker mentality when there isn't even a bunker anymore...

Even I think he's better than Booth or Witowski. He might be an arrogant, self-centered man child, but he's better than half the wingers on the team when he decides to be.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Rather tame the horse.

He needs the proper person to help him with what it takes to be a pro.

I don't know who that is.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
You just won't be able to blame the Wings' downfall on him.

I totally blame AA for the state of the red wings. He totally dropped the ball and didn't have a plan for several elite players retiring. Lidstrom, nothing, Datsyuk, nothing. Actually traded the chance to draft Chychrun just to dump Datsyuks last year. Kronwall is done this year, Ericsson is a mess, our D is a dumpster fire. Wait, did you mean Ken Holland or Anthony Athanasiou?

If AA has the ability to bring down an organization god help us all. We all know how bad the wings are, nobody will blame a 3rd line center who thinks he is a 2nd line center and he should be on the PP for the downfall of the Detroit Red Wings.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
You won't be the only one.
You just won't be able to blame the Wings' downfall on him.

No, I won't, and I never have before.

Wings downfall was inevitable. And quite frankly, IMO that downfall was well on its way before AA even suited up in a Wings jersey. That doesn't mean AA can't do no wrong. He still has a lot to learn to be a good/great NHL player.

Reactions: Redder Winger

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
If AA plays 14-16 minutes a night, and doesn't score 20-30 goals, I am going to be very hard on him. First he held out for money and ice time (when he was getting fair amount of each), and besides his speed and some goals he hasn't shown any ability to bring anything else to his game. He wants PK time, well that generally goes to players that play defense, and thus far in his career he doesn't really do anything else besides get some breakaways, a few highlight reel goals, and try to go 1 on 5 all the time. Weaker teammates or not, you have to use your teammates if you want to be successful in the NHL, he hasn't learned that yet. Zetterberg makes passes all the time to inferior players because you aren't going to deke the opposition all the time at this level. AA is now in put up or shut up mode, and he will deserve any negativity he gets, if he doesn't produce. If he came in and signed the contract (which was more than fair) at season start, he would get a lot more slack from me and others, but creating a whirlwind of drama, earned him this situation he put himself in.

We all want to see him bring his exciting speed and dangles and offence to our team, but I have not and never will respect any players decision to sit out over money, especially when the money offered was fair, which in this case was, based on his RFA status and one season of 30 pts and no other intangibles brought. If Helm gets us 30 pts that is great becuase he brings other things to the table, if AA (current form from last season) gets 30 pts that isn't great, because there is nothing else brought to the table.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Pretty cavalier for someone sporting that screen name

Does my screen name offend you or give the impression that I have a low opinion of you and the others here? My apologies, that's certainly not the effect I was gunning for. It's a macho American phrase and due to our large Swedish contingent at the time, I added a "strom" to the end of said phrase. Not to be cavalier and certainly not with the wish that people would focus on my screen name rather than the content of my posts.

If this name is offensive or belittling for some reason, I missed the mark and I wouldn't mind changing my call sign. Please let me know.

Leronziia

kenorH
Jan 10, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I'd like Athanasiou to put the puck in the net and/or help me somewhat enjoy Red Wings hockey again.

Watching everyone on defense (except Green) trying to break the puck out is horrifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad