Confirmed with Link: Athanasiou signed 1/$1.3875m

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Really? Forwards that don't produce at .5PPG seem to get 3-4M+ easy on this team.

When they are UFAs. AA has a few more seasons before he can do that. Also intangibles.

And seriously, if this team is going to get out of the hole they are in they need to stop handing out those kind of contracts. Abdelkader didn't deserve one, DD didn't and AA doesn't yet (and needs to take a significant step forward to deserve one).

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
When they are UFAs. AA has a few more seasons before he can do that. Also intangibles.

And seriously, if this team is going to get out of the hole they are in they need to stop handing out those kind of contracts. Abdelkader didn't deserve one, DD didn't and AA doesn't yet (and needs to take a significant step forward to deserve one).
I don't think AA is like Abdelkader. He has a far higher ceiling. Regardless, my point stands. Holland hands out those contracts like candy. It'd be weird for him to take a stand on this player when he was so generous for others.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Have the Wings not filed AA's contract yet? Cap Friendly still shows him as RFA.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
AA finally figured out that his tinder profile saying 'Professional Hockey Player" and "drives BMW" was better than "Unemployed athlete" and "rides huffy".

Did he seriously have drives a BMW on his profile? Makes him sound like such a douche.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
You still have no idea what happened behind the scenes and I guarantee it was more than money.

I hope he has a killer year and KH has to find $4m to pay the bloke.

So your in favour of players who get paid millions of dollars to play a game, hold out for even more money that they don't need and didn't earn?

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I’m excited to have him back even if he is a punk. Hope we let him loose so he can rack up some nasty highlights and goals to prime him for the trade block. You know that’s where this thing is going to end.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Did he seriously have drives a BMW on his profile? Makes him sound like such a *****e.

To answer, no, dude was using hyperbole. Seriously though...

341f1d74b1bb8e78e00a83816b8bd76f62315663c3157875d876f01ca6049f17.jpg

So your in favour of players who get paid millions of dollars to play a game, hold out for even more money that they don't need and didn't earn?

Comrade, I agree. Capitalist scum!!!

Reactions: breuk

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Honestly, this is the only thing that matters about today. Ken Holland did his job, he got an important player resigned after boxing himself into a corner with shitty, shitty cap management. So. Full credit to him for finding a way to get AA signed. 100% on AA's side during this whole thing, and glad he's back.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
So where does AA play on our lines, then? He gets 16min ice time guaranteed and PP time (we'll see how long that lasts lol) that's top 6 minutes

Mantha-Zetterberg-Nyquist

Tatar-Larkin-Abdelkader

Athanasiou-Nielsen-Helm

Wilson-Glendening-Booth/Witkowski

Frans gets 16min a night, AA might get it there. Lots of speed. Plus Nielsen finally gets a winger that isn't completely terrible (in most peoples eyes), I feel bad for Nielsen... gets to play with garbage most of the time. I could also see AA/Abby swapping in this scenario.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
So where does AA play on our lines, then? He gets 16min ice time guaranteed and PP time (we'll see how long that lasts lol) that's top 6 minutes

Tatar-Larkin-Abdelkader

Athanasiou-Nielsen-Helm

Frans gets 16min a night, AA might get it there. Lots of speed. Plus Nielsen finally gets a winger that isn't completely terrible (in most peoples eyes), I feel bad for Nielsen... gets to play with garbage most of the time. I could also see AA/Abby swapping in this scenario.

I'd hope after a few games AA and Abby could switch but this makes perfect sense when he returns. I doubt the Wings just gift him a top line spot. Hopefully he can earn it quickly.

Frk should play the 4th line over Booth or Witkowski IMO.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Nielsen is pretty underwhelming. What exactly does he do for this team?
2 points in 8 games.
38 percent faceoffs.

Last year he went 17-24-41 -19 in 1355 minutes.

I'd rather have a line of Athanasiou-Sheahan-Helm
or Athanasiou-Helm-Whoever.

I just hope Athanasiou has at least one forward with the passing ability to spring him.

Oct 18, 2006
Nielsen is pretty underwhelming. What exactly does he do for this team?
2 points in 8 games.
38 percent faceoffs.

Last year he went 17-24-41 -19 in 1355 minutes.

I'd rather have a line of Athanasiou-Sheahan-Helm
or Athanasiou-Helm-Whoever.

I just hope Athanasiou has at least one forward with the passing ability to spring him.
Totally agree. Invisible man. Seriously he does nothing out there.

Good speed and defensively sound. Required things. But at 5+ million, absolutely needs to be more noticeable.

Poor signing.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yes, I agree Frans Nielsen thus far has been completely underwhelming. He is sound defensively, yet at the same time went (-19) a year ago, playing against lesser competition than Zetterberg (+15) who is older and slower and played more per night.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
When can be AA able to play?

Sounds like after listening to Holland, they will file his contract on Monday, as they have to get his passport situation cleared first, and they (passport people) likely don't work on weekends.

Reactions: Danco95

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

Tatar-Larkin-Abdelkader

Athanasiou-Nielsen-Helm

I think someone with some offensive ability needs to be on that third line. If we're moving AA up, then someone like Nyquist, Tatar, or Mantha needs to be moved into his place. Putting Gator back there with Helm and Nielsen turns it into a line that we throw over the boards and just hope to battle the other team to a draw with. Also, I thought Athanasiou and Nielsen worked well together last year.

I really like Hitchcock's once stated preference for line making back in his Dallas days where he would try to find good pairs for each line, and the move guys in and out of that third spot to give lines different looks and styles. If we could run something like:

Z-Nyquist
Mantha-Larkin
Athanasiou-Nielsen

and then fill in those other three spots with a mix/max of whoever (or re-arrange the pairs as you want, just illustrating the point).

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
If you think the defense looks bad now, wait until AA is out there for 16+ minutes when it's a 5-4 at ES. Glad he signed, his role was perfect though at a situational winger

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think someone with some offensive ability needs to be on that third line. If we're moving AA up, then someone like Nyquist, Tatar, or Mantha needs to be moved into his place. Putting Gator back there with Helm and Nielsen turns it into a line that we throw over the boards and just hope to battle the other team to a draw with. Also, I thought Athanasiou and Nielsen worked well together last year.

I really like Hitchcock's once stated preference for line making back in his Dallas days where he would try to find good pairs for each line, and the move guys in and out of that third spot to give lines different looks and styles. If we could run something like:

Z-Nyquist
Mantha-Larkin
Athanasiou-Nielsen

and then fill in those other three spots with a mix/max of whoever (or re-arrange the pairs as you want, just illustrating the point).

Z-Nyquist
Tats- Larkin
AA- Nielson

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

Tatar-Larkin-Abdelkader

Athanasiou-Nielsen-Helm

We need Abdelkader out of the top 6 ASAP. He literally kills any offensive zone time and pressure we create by turning it over, or dumping it in, or taking dumb penalties. Abby needs to get off the PP too. Hilarious how he is on the 1st PP unit.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
We need Abdelkader out of the top 6 ASAP. He literally kills any offensive zone time and pressure we create by turning it over, or dumping it in, or taking dumb penalties. Abby needs to get off the PP too. Hilarious how he is on the 1st PP unit.

Don't worry, only 5 more years after this season. I suspect it's going to take his total absence to get the Wings to stop forcing him into spots that his cap hit and birthright dictates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad