Confirmed with Link: Athanasiou signed 1/$1.3875m

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
No one denies that AA is an elite transition winger, it's just what happens the longer he's in either zone that he needs to work on.

He's played 100 NHL games.
He's got a lot to work to do yet.

It's just interesting that nobody wants to admit when the anointed ones are criticized.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
He's played 100 NHL games.
He's got a lot to work to do yet.

It's just interesting that nobody wants to admit when the anointed ones are criticized.

You clearly have not been around this forum that long

the only "anointed" player on this team that gets a lot of leeway with most posters on this board is zetterberg and even he was getting tremendous flack from a lot of folks on here before he got his back surgery. Anyone remember the "swedish" chris drury thread?

Reactions: TheMule93

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
You clearly have not been around this forum that long

the only "anointed" player on this team that gets a lot of leeway with most posters on this board is zetterberg and even he was getting tremendous flack from a lot of folks on here before he got his back surgery. Anyone remember the "swedish" chris drury thread?

I remember it, and it wasn't unwarranted. Until Z got his back worked on, worries about his play and career were pretty legit. Even that first season back where he hit a wall halfway through and probably helped shove Holland towards that Nielsen deal. Have to wonder just how badly his back was messed up and how long he played through it. It was never something as visually obvious as Yzerman and him playing on one leg, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was up there in terms of how much if affected his play and how he just willed himself through it.

No one denies that AA is an elite transition winger, it's just what happens the longer he's in either zone that he needs to work on.

I think the real key there is "winger." Larkin spent a lot of time last year on the wing, but the organization never seemed to lose sight of the goal of him being a center. I don't get that same sense with Athanasiou. Being on the wing seems like something the Wings seem more okay with it. Of course, that was before Nielsen was winning 10% of his draws.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think the real key there is "winger." Larkin spent a lot of time last year on the wing, but the organization never seemed to lose sight of the goal of him being a center. I don't get that same sense with Athanasiou. Being on the wing seems like something the Wings seem more okay with it. Of course, that was before Nielsen was winning 10% of his draws.

"He's had good chemistry with Nielsen," Blashill said. "The other thing I gotta look at at some point is he's had good chemistry with Mantha in the past as well. He was playing center more at that point in GR (Grand Rapids) and he might at some point play center for us. Let's see where that goes. But he certainly had chemistry with Nielsen, so it's something we'll look at."

I hope to god they try it. What could you possibly have to lose?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Sounds like the athletic would be worth the money.

Also in regards to AA:

Lets hope both AA and Larkin play great.

AA is not as well trusted by the coaches for whatever reason. We can guess at why... but tht is the reason he gets less ice time and is not yet a top 6 player for us. He did very well with his time last year... so hopefully AA keeps improving with more ice time this year... which he was promised.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
"He's had good chemistry with Nielsen," Blashill said. "The other thing I gotta look at at some point is he's had good chemistry with Mantha in the past as well. He was playing center more at that point in GR (Grand Rapids) and he might at some point play center for us. Let's see where that goes. But he certainly had chemistry with Nielsen, so it's something we'll look at."

I hope to god they try it. What could you possibly have to lose?

If Nielsen continues to be wholly unable to win a draw, I'm not sure they have much of a choice, unless they want to move Helm back to center and watch his body break down after twenty games. Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if AA centers Nielsen and Helm.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Sounds like the athletic would be worth the money.

Also in regards to AA:

Lets hope both AA and Larkin play great.

AA is not as well trusted by the coaches for whatever reason. We can guess at why... but tht is the reason he gets less ice time and is not yet a top 6 player for us. He did very well with his time last year... so hopefully AA keeps improving with more ice time this year... which he was promised.

The Athletic is hit and miss.
Prasanth's stuff used to be free, right?
Some is good.
Some of his stats stuff feels forced.

And a lot of stats analysis stuff sounds smart until you figure it out and realize the writer is taking stats and then attaching his own fairly unrelated subjective views to them.

Right now, Custance is the best local beat writer is the Detroit hockey market. He's still too willing to accept the premise of management too often.
He's killing poor Ansar, who's no longer traveling with the team.
HSJ is trying to up her game, but it's not working.
Ted Kulfan - I don't know. Is he part-time for the last 10 years or something?

For now, I'll keep subbing.

But if Custance gets soft, I'll cancel

Reactions: BinCookin

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Athanasiou had chemistry with Vanek - and vice versa.

Nobody has chemistry with Nielsen because he doesn't do anything.
Interesting to see Nielsen's TOI drop yet again last game. 14:51.
Down to 15:17 for the season - lowest since he became a full-time NHLer

Buyout chatter will start this offseason.
It's going to be a long 4 3/4 years.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Athanasiou had chemistry with Vanek - and vice versa.

Nobody has chemistry with Nielsen because he doesn't do anything.
Interesting to see Nielsen's TOI drop yet again last game. 14:51.
Down to 15:17 for the season - lowest since he became a full-time NHLer

Buyout chatter will start this offseason.
It's going to be a long 4 3/4 years.

No way should we buy him out. Shit NYI will probably take him back for no retention or very little retention if it comes to that. Weiss buyout... was needed, he couldnt even stay on the team. Neilsen is less effective recently, but he is still NHL caliberr, he just isnt worth his salary right now.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Yes, him floating at or near the blue line helped him to get more exits, but is a symptom of him not giving a flying **** about playing any defense.

First you disagree with me saying that AA turns Dzone into Ozone better than any Red Wings forward.
I point you to the data proving my point.

So you move the goalposts to something about not playing defense.

Have you ever played defense? When I have the puck I want a safe option, a wall option and a breakout option.

I can think of no better option than Athanasiou for the breakout option.

Are there times when he should bear down and focus on getting the puck out? Sure. I can think of one instance in particular last year where he should have focused on being on the wall and winning a battle. He didn't and we got scored on.

But realistically, the kid has played 100 NHL games. He's going to get smarter about when to go and when to stay.

He's the guy you want with the puck on his stick and moving the puck out out of the Dzone.

Reactions: TheMule93

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
First you disagree with me saying that AA turns Dzone into Ozone better than any Red Wings forward.
I point you to the data proving my point.

So you move the goalposts to something about not playing defense.

Have you ever played defense? When I have the puck I want a safe option, a wall option and a breakout option.

I can think of no better option than Athanasiou for the breakout option.

Are there times when he should bear down and focus on getting the puck out? Sure. I can think of one instance in particular last year where he should have focused on being on the wall and winning a battle. He didn't and we got scored on.

But realistically, the kid has played 100 NHL games. He's going to get smarter about when to go and when to stay.

He's the guy you want with the puck on his stick and moving the puck out out of the Dzone.

I played defense (played a bit of wing as well, but I'd say 70-30 D) from the time I put skates on till I enlisted. The best option for a breakout isn't one 3rd line winger. Its having a defense that features a good puck mover on at least 2 of the 3 pairings and that is the very minimum. The best breakout teams almost always start with men on the back end that can see the ice well and move the puck where they want accurately and quickly.

Reactions: Winger98

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I played defense (played a bit of wing as well, but I'd say 70-30 D) from the time I put skates on till I enlisted. The best option for a breakout isn't one 3rd line winger. Its having a defense that features a good puck mover on at least 2 of the 3 pairings and that is the very minimum. The best breakout teams almost always start with men on the back end that can see the ice well and move the puck where they want accurately and quickly.

Way to miss the point completely.
Every post, you either ignore the data, ignore the facts, or ignore the point.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Way to miss the point completely.
Every post, you either ignore the data, ignore the facts, or ignore the point.

What data? Some cherry picked numbers like +/- or numbers that when not factored into greater context or in small samples can misrepresent a situation? And you're the one that misses the point completely. AA cannot save this team. The way you make him out is he is the thing that can save this team from a bottom finish. He's a good middle 6 winger. Nothing more, nothing less. He has his great attributes, he has some pretty glaring flaws. No reasonable person here is asking him to be Gretzky. But cherry picking stats, which you constantly do, gets old, and in the end people usually ignore it. We get you love AA. That's fine. But that doesn't change the facts of the matter at the end of the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad