Confirmed with Link: Athanasiou signed 1/$1.3875m

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm going to miss the pages and pages detailing why AA isn't worth 2.1 mil. :laugh: And Ezekiel can change his avatar back now.

Seriously this is good news. Athanasiou could increase his value and that's always a plus.

After all the chatter AA will be under the magnifying glass right away, I wonder how he does.
:laugh: I can see how may ardent stance may have seemed like I changed it for that reason. I argued for a long enough time with him loud and proud next to my name for it to affect me.
I'm still all aboard the AAmtrak, I just didn't agree with the kid. Tatar is still my favorite non-Z wing, last year my avatar was "65 point Tatar 16-17" or something until that was obviously not happening, changed it to AA.

I never once referred to AA as a dick or said disparaging things about him, I said he was pouting, needs to put in the effort, and iirc whiney.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Cap hit isn't going to be higher, as Ansar Khan posted on Twitter that Ken Holland told him he needs to move 1.3875 million to get AA officially signed.

Yeah, salary is 1.25M and caphit 1.3875M.

Interesting to see if he will get 2.55M at next contract at first season. That would make it 2 years for 3.8M combined.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
That doesn't make sense. Hes getting a contract for 1.3875M for the year, not per week. Why wouldn't he get paid every cent of that? If anything, our cap hit goes up, not his cash goes down.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Cap hit isn't going to be higher, as Ansar Khan posted on Twitter that Ken Holland told him he needs to move 1.3875 million to get AA officially signed.

That doesn't necessarily mean the cap hit isn't higher. It depends on the context of moving out the 1.3875m. Is he talking about making payroll room, or moving out AAV on contracts?

E.g. If KH needs to move out $1.3875m of Payroll space Today to make room, then that pro-rates out as $1.52m of contract AAV.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
That doesn't make sense. Hes getting a contract for 1.3875M for the year, not per week. Why wouldn't he get paid every cent of that? If anything, our cap hit goes up, not his cash goes down.

it's paid per season, not year. he's already missed 10% of the season, hence he doesn't get paid for that

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Why should he get money when he didn't play?

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I believe that the adjuster is to keep GM's from stashing players so to circumvent the cap. I am confused again. Is the $1.3875M AA's cap hit or his salary?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Pretty sure they said that the $1.3875M is his cap hit.

I'd like to see a definitive answer, I think there are two possible scenarios:

A) AA signed for a $1.3875m salary in 2017-18. He will actually be paid a pro-rated $1.25m after missing 8.6% of the season as of today. His $1.3875m AAV will be increased to $1.52m AAV due to the RFA mid-seasoning signing rule.

B) AA signed for a $1.25m salary is 2017-18. He will actually be paid a pro-rated $1.1425m after missing 8.6% of the season as of today. His $1.25m AAV will be increased to $1.3875m AAV due to the RFA mid-season signing rule.

I'm inclined to think the answer is (A) because if it were (B) then the reported $1.3875m amount would depend on the precise day that the Wings free up cap space and formally registered AA's contract with the NHL. The cap number would change with every additional day of delay.

Again, would love to see a definitive answer. We'll know pretty quickly once it becomes formal and we see the actual numbers on CF.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
AA is a good player. Top 5 in the league in skating and speed...

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Kenny getting it done. This will give Larkin and Mantha something to think about if they try pulling this ****

Yeah.
If Mantha is second on the team in goals and demands $1.5M a year...and Holland rejects him, I'll bet Mantha will be thinking about unrestricted free agency.

Reactions: TheMule93

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
You still have no idea what happened behind the scenes and I guarantee it was more than money.

I hope he has a killer year and KH has to find $4m to pay the bloke.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You still have no idea what happened behind the scenes and I guarantee it was more than money.

I hope he has a killer year and KH has to find $4m to pay the bloke.

He'd have to have a season where he projects to have a better than 0.5 ppg. I hope he doesn't, because if he does, and if Larkin, Z, Mantha, Frk, etc all keep it up that means they will be first round fodder, and that means a 16th overall.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
He'd have to have a season where he projects to have a better than 0.5 ppg. I hope he doesn't, because if he does, and if Larkin, Z, Mantha, Frk, etc all keep it up that means they will be first round fodder, and that means a 16th overall.
Or the entire team could model their game after AA, and Detroit could finish at the bottom of the standings by losing a ton of 5-4 games. :thumbu:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am glad he is finally ready to go. I am not sure what he gained, but I hope he can get going quickly. I kind of doubt it with how far behind he is compared to everyone else now in terms of game shape and sharpness.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I am glad he is finally ready to go. I am not sure what he gained, but I hope he can get going quickly. I kind of doubt it with how far behind he is compared to everyone else now in terms of game shape and sharpness.

I think he'll be lucky not to tear a groin in the first couple of weeks.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Really? Forwards that don't produce at .5PPG seem to get 3-4M+ easy on this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->