Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I don't have anything else to add that anyone else hasn't already done- absolutely unbelievable.

I think we discussed this at some point previously, but if the draft was held over again right now, how high would he go?
I was thinking about this: since it's been discussed that the draft age will be risen, imagine him still being eligible for the next year's draft with the rest of his draft class (Dahlin class in 2019): imo not a stretch to say he would be in discussion to go 1st overall.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Top 3. Can't really go wrong with Hischier or Heiskanen at this point.

It's funny, I was reading McKenzie's pre-season rankings from last year and this is what he had to say about Tolvanen;

5. Eeli Tolvanen: The Finnish winger is a pure sniper -- with an NHL shot and NHL release -- who has the tools to be the best pure scorer in this draft.
Tolvanen is starting his second season with Sioux City of the USHL and has committed to Boston College for next season. At a shade under six feet, he isn't big but he is strong enough to get to where he needs to in order to score goals.
He was excellent as an underage at the U-18 World Championship last April in Grand Forks and he was a dominant presence at the U-20 World Junior Championship preview showcase in Plymouth in August.
Tolvanen has a dynamic element to his game that could see him apart from many in this draft class. Nine of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN had him in their pre-season Top 10, with seven of them ranking him in the top five.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Just Scored 4 point night with John Normann as his center. Norman isnt bad player or so, but just saying.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
9/10 had him in the top 10, with 7/10 in the top 5...mathematically that seems to be kind of bullshit otherwise he wouldn't have fallen to 30th.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
9/10 had him in the top 10, with 7/10 in the top 5...mathematically that seems to be kind of bull**** otherwise he wouldn't have fallen to 30th.

Why would you think that? Those are only preseason rankings, lots can happen between the preseason and the draft.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Has anyone heard any kind of consensus answer as to possibly why he fell so far? I mean even falling to, like, 20 seems like it would've been a big surprise. Much less all the way to 30. I remember hearing crap about being academically ineligible to get into BC but I mean, come on.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Has anyone heard any kind of consensus answer as to possibly why he fell so far? I mean even falling to, like, 20 seems like it would've been a big surprise. Much less all the way to 30. I remember hearing crap about being academically ineligible to get into BC but I mean, come on.
Recrutes | The One Musketeer Though McCagg is often criticized by being too reactionary, he was still a head scout of McKeen's. He had him ranked at 25th before the draft. Tolvanen was over scouted, recency bias was strong from the poor USHL playoffs and the other things (rumored bad interviews and that university thing). That report really doesn't describe him as a player he is now.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017

The BC part plus being a little "undersized" are the only reasons I've heard.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I wonder how high in the draft Tolvanen would go if this year's draft happened now? Top-5 even?

Oh my bad. Looks like this was discussed already recently.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Recrutes | The One Musketeer Though McCagg is often criticized by being too reactionary, he was still a head scout of McKeen's. He had him ranked at 25th before the draft. Tolvanen was over scouted, recency bias was strong from the poor USHL playoffs and the other things (rumored bad interviews and that university thing). That report really doesn't describe him as a player he is now.

....comments based purely off of highlights and other peoples observations, so those are the parameters.

That doesn't even sound like the same player compared to what people are saying. If both are true then the kid made one hell of a leap.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I know he can join us after the KHL season is over, but also has the option of another year in the KHL.

Is it a lock he's going to join us this year or next and sign an ELC?
I wouldn't jump the gun yet as far as this year goes but it sure would be awesome. Milwaukee at the least for next year I'd assume

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015

At this point, it's up there as one of the great mysteries of the world along with the purpose of Stonehenge, what happens to us when we die and the opposite sex. If I had to guess, I'd say it's not any single thing, but rather a combination of many things.

1) the Boston College situation and the uncertainty of whether he'll go play in the CHL, AHL, Europe or another college.

2) him being a slightly undersized winger with at the time questionable skating. Combine that with lots of teams looking for centers, defense or goalies and you're bound to fall. Only 3 other wingers taken before him, Tippett being the only one in the first half of the 1st round.

3) goes sort of hand in hand with the above but sometimes guys fall cause the teams seem to have someone ranked just a bit higher and go with that.

4) he seems to be a really confident guy, and maybe some of the scouts and GM's took it the wrong way as him being arrogant.

Reactions: jumb0 and Drake744

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I wouldn't jump the gun yet as far as this year goes but it sure would be awesome. Milwaukee at the least for next year I'd assume

I don't really see what going to Milwaukee is going to do. Maybe a 5-10 game trial to get used to the smaller ice like Radulov but after that, he's in Nashville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad