Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
All the tape screamed this was an elite talent. Scouts/ teams got scared by something or his fall jus snowballed with teams taking their guy. Who knows. This happens every now and then.

Incredible talent. Ecstatic with thisnpick since the selection.

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
I read a while ago a short interview article of Tolvanen in Finnish hockey magazine and with two questions related to the college eligibilty and choosing Jokerit, the impression I got from it (reading between the lines) was that the Jokerit decision was made while he could still have made an effort for the college eligibility, a.k.a. before the draft. It might have been that simple choice of going to KHL that scared off the teams to choose the "almost as good prospect" that they had more control on in regards of the development path.

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I think playing USHL and not being a North American player added risk to his scouting report. Anecdotal story: I was looking at Forsberg’s draft class and Forsberg was seen as the top European skater and a potential top 5 pick, but he fell to 10th. Since there’s so much pressure to not select a first round bust, scouts will play it safe and if you’re American/Canadian then they will go with what they know which is CHL talent. Just my two cents. Not going to BC probably also showed lack of commitment or whatever but that seems to not be true.

Reactions: Enoch

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't really see what going to Milwaukee is going to do. Maybe a 5-10 game trial to get used to the smaller ice like Radulov but after that, he's in Nashville.
Yeah, they had better not even mention Milwaukee when it comes time to offer him a bonus-laden-max-ELC. They probably have to approach his case from the assumption that he's on the Preds next year. If they aren't 100% sure of that already, maybe the best they can do is leave him an out clause to go back to Jokerit if he doesn't make the NHL.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
IIHF is making sure he is eligible.
cd4af83d21bcbe53c82e3f07f0c26166.png
nyfWNm

Reactions: Drake744

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
What can the IIHF do to the KHL with sanctions? How is that any different than what the NHL has done? Are only Americans and Canadians NHL players barred from going? I think not.
I think KHL is under IIHF rules, so they must obey them because KHL is the lower organization out of the 2.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I saw someone in a Jokerit jersey at the game last night (Tolvanen) accompanied by a person in a Rinne jersey--I was focused on the Jokerit but I THINK the Rinne jersey was from a different team than Nashville.

JustaFinnishGuy

Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Adz said:
I saw someone in a Jokerit jersey at the game last night (Tolvanen) accompanied by a person in a Rinne jersey--I was focused on the Jokerit but I THINK the Rinne jersey was from a different team than Nashville.

0f770531483c3ccfb014ec02300c356a--hockey.jpg

You would be correct. He played in Dynamo Minsk. The 1st time I saw this jersey was when Steve Dangle wore it to a podcast where he talked about working in the KHL.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Love Steve Dangle--he's such a hoot and really talks up Nashville--unless we're in the process of smoking his team, which is understandable.

I think this was the jersey but honestly I'm only 40% sure. I was completely focused on the Joker on the other one and only saw the other name was RINNE when they passed me.

Reactions: bloodysushi

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Eeli's center is injured (injured on the national team break, out till the end of the year), so expect a dip in points. They had really great chemistry.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Eeli's center is injured (injured on the national team break, out till the end of the year), so expect a dip in points. They had really great chemistry.
At least so far he hasn't done any worse with Norman as he did with O'Neill. And of course he didn't have his regular center in the Karjala Cup either and it didn't slow him down.

This kid has always been pretty good at making his own luck.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
What are the chances that his KHL season will be over in time for the Preds to sign him and bring him over?
Also, would Poile want to possibly burn a year of his ELC to have him for the last month of the season and playoffs?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
What are the chances that his KHL season will be over in time for the Preds to sign him and bring him over?
Also, would Poile want to possibly burn a year of his ELC to have him for the last month of the season and playoffs?
His regular season ends on March 1st. I don't know how the playoffs work over there but when we brought Radulov over he played his first game, I believe, on March 19th (I only remember that because I think it fell on my birthday). I know schedules vary a bit from year to year, and I don't know how long his team was in the playoffs, but I'm assuming the time table would fall around the middle of March. So, yes, theoretically there would be a little time. Would it be worth it? That's up to the GM of the year to figure out.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
His regular season ends on March 1st. I don't know how the playoffs work over there but when we brought Radulov over he played his first game, I believe, on March 19th (I only remember that because I think it fell on my birthday). I know schedules vary a bit from year to year, and I don't know how long his team was in the playoffs, but I'm assuming the time table would fall around the middle of March. So, yes, theoretically there would be a little time. Would it be worth it? That's up to the GM of the year to figure out.

Looks like they have the same format as here. Top 8 teams from each conference make it, 7 game series each round. Right now Jokerit is the #3 seed but only 2 points behind #2 with a game in hand. Should be able to win their 1st round series at least.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
If he comes over this year and we burn the year off his ELC, his ELC will be up at the same time as Josi's contract. If not, and we sign him so that his contract starts at the start of next season, his ELC ends at the same time as Bonino's contract. Something to think about for Poile.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Could he play though since he hasn't signed his ELC yet? Is it not too late in the year?

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Ideally we'd get him before the playoffs so we could see what we have in him before burning a year in his ELC. Good points there by KW above.

If he's signifactly better than anyone on our roster and he's really gonna help the run then sure burn the year and go for it.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Let's say for example that he's available and his first game is....... March 24th at Minnesota and he plays the final 9 regular season games. I'm assumimg playoff games count towards burning a year off of his deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->