Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
well there was legwand, suter, and radulov. all were drafted much earlier in the first round and had a good bit of hype either before during or after the draft selection. i would also say seth jones is way up there. we forget about him because he is no longer with us but he was talked about years in advance. as far as excitement over a draft choice after the selection, tolvanen is way at the top for me. radulov would definitely be a comparison as he had that point streak going at one point. legwand went back to juniors after we picked him and couldn't make it out of camp after being 2nd overall. suter was never flashy. radulov had his issues. tolvanen may be number 1 for me personally especially considering the position our team is in considering past success and hopefully future.

Yeah, good names, but like you mentioned I was thinking after the draft process. I have a hard time thinking of someone I am more excited about that is based purely on production after the draft process.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yeah, good names, but like you mentioned I was thinking after the draft process. I have a hard time thinking of someone I am more excited about that is based purely on production after the draft process.
It's such a shame he chose to go to the KHL this year. He would already be on our roster at this point and Aberg would be gone.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Aberg has 3 goals in 2 games, hopefully it sparks his confidence and he can come up and get back on track.

As for the Comparisons. I'd say the only prospect (post draft) that compares to the Tolvanen hype among Preds fans was Radulov. I'm certain that Legwand would have had a bit if the internet were more popular at the time, but he also didn't dominate the OHL after his draft the way that Radulov did in the QMJHL or Tolvanen is doing in the KHL. The defensemen got enough hype, but it will never be the same excitement that a lethal sniper will generate.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm just going to keep pointing to this every time I hear "no, really, we should just trade the 1st, we won't get anything useful out of it anyways" from folks this year. :)

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'm just going to keep pointing to this every time I hear "no, really, we should just trade the 1st, we won't get anything useful out of it anyways" from folks this year. :)
We Finns have a saying for situations like this. "Poikkeus vahvistaa säännön." Essentially it means that an exception enforces the rule it originated from.

My point is that 1 case over 10 years of late to mid 1st round picks shouldn't be overvalued over trading said pick as a part to acquire proven talent.

Last edited:

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Technically Tolvanen hasn't done anything useful for the Preds yet, but rightfully there are high hopes. And even with Brock Nelson, Tanner Pearson and Rickard Rakell all being successful recent 30th overall picks, the track record over the past 30 years is pretty ugly.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We Finns have a saying for situations like this. "Poikkeus vahvistaa säännön." Essentially it means that an exception enforces the rule it originated from.

My point is that 1 case over 10 years of late to mid 1st round picks shouldn't be overvalued over trading said pick as a part to acquire proven talent.
To which I say, imagine the prospect pool without Tolvanen. More to the point, without Tolvanen present, would we have been able to pull off the Turris trade?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
To which I say, imagine the prospect pool without Tolvanen. More to the point, without Tolvanen present, would we have been able to pull off the Turris trade?

Sure. Poile is going all in for these next couple of years, and having Tolvanen or not wouldn't have changed that. But the real answer to the question is, if we had traded that 1st, would we have needed a trade for Turris? The answer is obviously no, because that 1st would have been part of a trade for Duchene

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sure. Poile is going all in for these next couple of years, and having Tolvanen or not wouldn't have changed that. But the real answer to the question is, if we had traded that 1st, would we have needed a trade for Turris? The answer is obviously no, because that 1st would have been part of a trade for Duchene
So you'd prefer to have given up all of Tolvanen, Kamanev, Girard, and picks for this and next year for a very similar player to what we already have? That seems extreme to me.

And yes, we would have given up that much and more if we went directly for Duchene, because Sakic is a greedy madman.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
So you'd prefer to have given up all of Tolvanen, Kamanev, Girard, and picks for this and next year for a very similar player to what we already have? That seems extreme to me.

And yes, we would have given up that much and more if we went directly for Duchene, because Sakic is a greedy madman.

Well he finally got what he wanted didn't he? I wouldn't say he was a mad man. If anything he's a patient man.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well he finally got what he wanted didn't he? I wouldn't say he was a mad man. If anything he's a patient man.
He did. My point was that instead of having Ottawa take the bullet for us in such a scenario, we'd have had to completely drain the prospect pool. And it's already too shallow.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

I was speaking purely hypothetically.

And we wouldn't necessarily be "missing" Tolvanen because having never drafted him we wouldn't have any attachment to him. We don't even know if that pick would have been used for ET had we traded it.

So I think what I'm saying is I'm glad we got Turris at a cheaper cost than Duchene, but if Duchene had cost Girard, Kamanev and our 1st and a 2nd, I wouldn't have batted an eye, I would have been thrilled.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
He is just so damn good. Now playing with Normann as his center because O'Neill got injured in the EHT games..

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't have anything else to add that anyone else hasn't already done- absolutely unbelievable.

I think we discussed this at some point previously, but if the draft was held over again right now, how high would he go?

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I don't have anything else to add that anyone else hasn't already done- absolutely unbelievable.

I think we discussed this at some point previously, but if the draft was held over again right now, how high would he go?
Top 3. Can't really go wrong with Hischier or Heiskanen at this point.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad