Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax84

May 23, 2016
I'm not sure that KHL is tougher than AHL. I know the common line is that the KHL is the second best league in the world, but I still feel like the AHL probably is. There is more NHL ready talent in the AHL than the KHL, they play a longer and more physical schedule and they play a closer style to NHL and obviously identical rink size. I don't say that the AHL is far superior to the KHL, but I do believe it has a slight edge, especially if the goal is a path to the NHL.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of KHL, maybe two games a month max, but I have never seen anything that makes me think the KHL is some rival of the NHL as it was originally touted to become.

The KHL is absolutely more competitive than the AHL. The only "advantage" of the AHL comes from having identical rink dimensions to the NHL. A ranking of the world's leagues probably looks something like this:

NHL
---
---
KHL
Sweden-1
Finland-1
AHL/Swiss-1
Germany-1/Czech-1
Austria-1/Slovakia-1/Sweden-2/Russia-2
Britain-1/ECHL/France-1/Norway-1/Finland-2

The AHL is probably a scratch better than the Swiss top league, and there might need to be a gap between the KHL and Sweden.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
The KHL is absolutely more competitive than the AHL. The only "advantage" of the AHL comes from having identical rink dimensions to the NHL. A ranking of the world's leagues probably looks something like this:

NHL
---
---
KHL
Sweden-1
Finland-1
AHL/Swiss-1
Germany-1/Czech-1

The AHL is probably a scratch better than the Swiss top league, and there might need to be a gap between the KHL and Sweden.

Sorry but every AHL team has at least 4-5 players who could play regular minutes on an NHL roster.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Sorry but every AHL team has at least 4-5 players who could play regular minutes on an NHL roster.
That doesn't warrant a good team or a good skill level. 4th liners in NHL usually flop in FEL and SEL because they're simply not 1st line or 2nd line talents. Being NHL ready does not warrant a skill level so superior that the AHL could be even considered the 2nd toughest league. Just because KHL players don't come over boasting same PPG or SV% numbers doesn't really say anything about KHL, just that it's below the NHL.

There are some awful teams in the KHL though. Cmon, SKA is on a 17 win streak STARTING THE SEASON! Most of the talent in KHL is focused in few teams. Some KHL teams are worse than FEL teams, therefore worse than AHL teams.

Getting back to the actual topic, I think Tolvanen could be compared to current NHL'ers who are established in top line roles. Names like Kuznetsov and Tarasenko are close to Tolvanen's production now and Artemi Panarin comes up as well when I searched who played in the KHL as an 18-year old.
What I'm getting at is that if Tolvanen played in the AHL this year, he probably would put up points similar to what Nylander did on the Marlies. PPG+ would be pretty warranted seeing how Tolvanen has played so far in the KHL.

Reactions: Huokaus

ijuka

May 14, 2016

NHL
---
---
KHL
Sweden-1
Finland-1
AHL/Swiss-1
Germany-1/Czech-1

Some players respond differently to different leagues and might do better in supposedly stronger leagues, but Olli Palola could work as an example here for a player whose archetype is pretty close to Tolvanen's. He plays on the same team as well. So for Palola:

14-15: 29+20=49 in 60 gp in Liiga
15-16: 1+4=5 in 27 gp in KHL
16-17: 21+27=48 in 52 gp in SHL
17-18: 1+3=4 in 13 gp in KHL

It's clear that at least this player has a much tougher time in KHL than either Liiga or SHL.

As for AHL, it's kind of odd. Some players who are like 0.6 PPG there might become PPG players in KHL, and some might not even become 0.5 PPGers in Liiga. I think that there are some far more significant stylistic differences between AHL and KHL/The other European leagues that affect how a player is able to transition. In any case, KHL is in general significantly stronger a league than AHL is.

Reactions: Huokaus

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Jokerit head coach Jukka Jalonen quoted saying that Eeli is absolutely going to the World Juniors this year.

Could be a busy year for him, if he suits up for World Juniors in December/January, Olympics and KHL playoffs in February (and possibly through April), and finally World Championships in May.

Anyway, will be interesting to see as the season goes on how he handles the insane schedule and traveling.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
His linemmate O'Neil said in an interview that Eeli's biggest strength isn't even his shot but his hockey IQ which according to O'Neil will be the difference between Eeli and his peers.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I don't see Eeli getting traded for anything less than a legitimate superstar. He could be contributing to the top six of Nashville next season. I'm sure teams will ask. That's their job. Don't see Poile letting go of Tolvanen unless say Florida drops Barkov or something.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Yep- I agree. I may be guilty of falling too hard for the hype, but if I am Poile he is pretty close to untouchable unless it is a blockbuster.

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
This kid seriously has the skill set to be a top 20 forward in the league one day, I think.
If we are trading this guy, it better be for a king's ransom.

I agree with Triggerman here in that it would be hilarious that Poile finally strikes legitimate gold in the draft, then trades him away.

I'm all for Matt Duchene being in gold but not at the expense of a prospect like that. I'd want someone signed long term who is younger than Duchene.
We could use more playmakers as well. Legit ones.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I don't see Eeli getting traded for anything less than a legitimate superstar. He could be contributing to the top six of Nashville next season. I'm sure teams will ask. That's their job. Don't see Poile letting go of Tolvanen unless say Florida drops Barkov or something.

I thought I red he signed for 2 years with Jokerit? Could he play with the Preds next year?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This kid seriously has the skill set to be a top 20 forward in the league one day, I think.
If we are trading this guy, it better be for a king's ransom.

I agree with Triggerman here in that it would be hilarious that Poile finally strikes legitimate gold in the draft, then trades him away.

I'm all for Matt Duchene being in gold but not at the expense of a prospect like that. I'd want someone signed long term who is younger than Duchene.
We could use more playmakers as well. Legit ones.

Yeah, Duchene is a good player, but I'd want a legitimate star like a Tavares if we're moving Tolvanen.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Jokerit head coach Jukka Jalonen quoted saying that Eeli is absolutely going to the World Juniors this year.

Could be a busy year for him, if he suits up for World Juniors in December/January, Olympics and KHL playoffs in February (and possibly through April), and finally World Championships in May.

Anyway, will be interesting to see as the season goes on how he handles the insane schedule and traveling.

Where Jalonen has said that and what's the source?

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm all about more hockey (and sports) coverage, but speculative BS just for clicks is the worst kind of "journalism". I was going to say this about that tweet earlier, but figured i'd just let it pass by. And of course now it's a thread on the main trade board. Sometimes technology is just a source of annoyance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad