Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I think you mean FEL. :) But I agree, very solid numbers for an 18yo kid in a professional league - let alone KHL.

This is not really the place, but please, there is no such thing as FEL. I know even some NHL covering beat writers use it, but it's just wrong. (I think someone started it as a pun, you know, "fel" is Swedish for "fail" so it's funny for Finns.) There's SEL across the small pond, there's SML or Liiga; there's never been a FEL. This is just a pet peeve, admitted, but it gets me a little bit every time.

Can't wait for tomorrow's game. Used to be a Jokerit hater, now I'm considering buying tickets for the 2 Dec outdoors game with SKA, that's going to be an event. :)

Really happy he landed in Nashville in the draft, a well managed cup contender for many more years that has great development, could have been so much worse.

Too Late Edit: "SEL" being Swedish Elite League. Now I realized it's just Elitserien in Swedish, so I didn't have much of a point of "FEL" being incorrect, after all. So let's just use whatever works and gets understood. :cool:

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Steve Moses
Oh, of course! I somehow totally forgot that he was trying for a breakthrough in the Preds, and failed miserably. I should have remembered, as I watched him play in many games in that KHL season. Honestly I was never as impressed with his play really, as I have been with Tolvanen's play this season.

Moses was that season a very opportunistic player whom scored a lot of goals partially because he had ideal linemates in the KHL. Also he didn't really have any world class abilities that would stand out in the same way as Tolvanen's shot, elusiveness and magnificent hockey IQ. So I never really felt that confident in Moses making it in the NHL. With Tolvanen I'm practically sure that he will become an NHL star.

Reactions: Montross

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
This is not really the place, but please, there is no such thing as FEL. I know even some NHL covering beat writers use it, but it's just wrong. (I think someone started it as a pun, you know, "fel" is Swedish for "fail" so it's funny for Finns.) There's SEL across the small pond, there's SML or Liiga; there's never been a FEL. This is just a pet peeve, admitted, but it gets me a little bit every time.

Can't wait for tomorrow's game. Used to be a Jokerit hater, now I'm considering buying tickets for the 2 Dec outdoors game with SKA, that's going to be an event. :)

Really happy he landed in Nashville in the draft, a well managed cup contender for many more years that has great development, could have been so much worse.

Yeah, this is not the place, but let's get this sorted out anyway. I stand corrected that FEL is not an "official" name. Still, considering how much I have seen FEL used in here and the media, I think it's much better than SEL (which I had never heard of). It's always referred to as FEL or Liiga (which would be appropriate, but I refuse to use it because it is an awful name - it's like somebody making a mobile game and naming it "Game" in App Store).

Back on topic: Tolvanen's release doesn't look that quick to me, but the shot sure is hard and accurate - and based on what goalies have said also rather deceptive. In NHL he won't have that much time to wind it up, but I'm not worried. He is a smart kid and will find the space he needs. He has already demonstrated that he can shoot well even if his body isn't in an optimal position.

Reactions: Torque

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Pretty good shot I'd say. The assist was pretty sweet knocked the d-man off the puck and passed it. Showed some strength.

Reactions: Torque

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
1+1 for Eeli tonight so far.

The goal: https://streamable.com/wnlwy

Three things I liked: how he anticipates where the puck is going to come and stays there, how he isn't afraid to drive to the net for his own try, the shot itself.

I guess I have a fresh new micro-hobby now :)

Edit: Make that four. Also the celly: "I'll just smile." :D

Last edited:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The main difference in the Moses comparison is size. Think Arvi/Joey
Don't think that's it as there's not that much of a size difference between the two (though comparing an 18 year old to a 26-27 year old). It's definitely the age factor. Moses was like more than a few journeyman NHL types (usually undersized) that greatly benefit from being able to exploit the larger ice -- guys like Nigel Dawes and Dan Sexton. The big difference was those guys were fully developed players, with years of AHL (and sometimes NHL) experience under their belts. They were complete players, so their ability to excel in a favorable environment is unsurprising, but it also meant there was nowhere left for them to go. Tolvanen is barely scratching the surface, playing against more experienced and physically developed men. He is excelling in a scenario where the deck is stacked against him. There's always a chance he doesn't ultimately pan out, but there is a lot of reason to be very optimistic.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Goodness gracious at what this kid is doing. Can we just bring him over right now???:D (Just kidding, but man, can't wait to see him in a Preds uni)

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
But seriously, is he allowed to come over at the end of the KHL season?

Would he be eligible for NHL, AHL? I'm not asking if he can come and be a bonus weapon added for a playoff run, I still have realistic expectations that he will need to come to AHL/NHL and work his way up for a year or two at least. But I think he should definitely not be in the KHL next season, he needs to get back into North America (thankfully he is already familiar with the rink size here) and start learning to be an NHL professional.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
But seriously, is he allowed to come over at the end of the KHL season?

Would he be eligible for NHL, AHL? I'm not asking if he can come and be a bonus weapon added for a playoff run, I still have realistic expectations that he will need to come to AHL/NHL and work his way up for a year or two at least. But I think he should definitely not be in the KHL next season, he needs to get back into North America (thankfully he is already familiar with the rink size here) and start learning to be an NHL professional.
Uh, why would he need to be in AHL (Except for maybe the rest of this season)? KHL is a tougher league and he's lighting it up. He'll be in the NHL.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
If he's eligible to come over after the KHL season the team would have to decide if it's worth burning a year of his ELC for what could be just a few games. If it looks like we have a real shot at the Cup but need another winger, I'd say we will do it, but if our chances aren't looking great or we have no spot in the top 6 for him, I suspect we won't bring him over

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I'm not sure that KHL is tougher than AHL. I know the common line is that the KHL is the second best league in the world, but I still feel like the AHL probably is. There is more NHL ready talent in the AHL than the KHL, they play a longer and more physical schedule and they play a closer style to NHL and obviously identical rink size. I don't say that the AHL is far superior to the KHL, but I do believe it has a slight edge, especially if the goal is a path to the NHL.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of KHL, maybe two games a month max, but I have never seen anything that makes me think the KHL is some rival of the NHL as it was originally touted to become.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If only he had scored there at the last shift... would've been one of the most crazy goals I've seen in the league. Could barely believe my eyes when he muscled through from the right wing then broke through in the middle. The keeper was already lost and looked like an empty net ahead, but somehow he missed it and Tolvanen rarely misses an opportunity like that. Still, wtf wow. Awesome play nevertheless. I hope someone posts a clip later on.

This is from his thread on the prospect board. We need to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia