Prospect Info: At 30th Overall the Predators Select Eeli Tolvanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I know you are excited for ET (and I am too!) But if that conversion rate was consistent for all players Steve Moses would be a top 6 winger in the NHL
To be fair, I don't know how to really judge Moses. He was only given 3 or 4 preseason games (The same games where NHL regulars look like they couldn't cut it in the NHL at times) and then cut. At that point his attitude was his downfall as he saw the AHL as a major failure and had zero intent to stick around. Notice he's back in NA this year playing in the AHL. He finally woke up on his career path, however it may be too late.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
To be fair, I don't know how to really judge Moses. He was only given 3 or 4 preseason games (The same games where NHL regulars look like they couldn't cut it in the NHL at times) and then cut. At that point his attitude was his downfall as he saw the AHL as a major failure and had zero intent to stick around. Notice he's back in NA this year playing in the AHL. He finally woke up on his career path, however it may be too late.

Whether Moses was given a fair shake or not, the previous poster claimed that KHL production could be extrapolated to NHL production, and that's just not always true. It doesn't make me less enthused for ET, but to just assume he will be a ppg player in the NHL based on one month in the KHL is a tad overzealous

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Whether Moses was given a fair shake or not, the previous poster claimed that KHL production could be extrapolated to NHL production, and that's just not always true. It doesn't make me less enthused for ET, but to just assume he will be a ppg player in the NHL based on one month in the KHL is a tad overzealous
I get that...I think what has alot of people excited is not that he's > than a PPG right now, but he is tracking to shatter records set by high quality NHL players.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It's an average translation of KHL to NHL points. I've read several studies in the last few years about it.

The biggest drawback is that it's based on players who played roughly an equal number of games in each league in back-to-back seasons during the same period of their career. I think usually it comes out to about .6 rather than .74 though. It depends on who is doing the study and which players they can use which changes every season.

Obviously the biggest thing to note is how even in the NHL, from one season to the next a player can have wild swings in scoring. But I do find that more often than not, the conversation rate is pretty accurate.

This is usually applied across all leagues, KHL, AHL, ECHL, NCAA, junior leagues and European leagues in an effort to rank the leagues rather than just predicting player scoring totals when jumping to the NHL.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
There are several similarities between Eeli's and Sebastian Aho's playstyles. With the exception of Eeli's better shot. And obviously Sebastian is a better playmaker.. But the way they both read the game is why they are succeeding. I think Eeli would've scored around 20 to 30 goals in the NHL given the possibility. (Talking about this season)

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
There are several similarities between Eeli's and Sebastian Aho's playstyles. With the exception of Eeli's better shot. And obviously Sebastian is a better playmaker.. But the way they both read the game is why they are succeeding. I think Eeli would've scored around 20 to 30 goals in the NHL given the possibility. (Talking about this season)
I'm seeing the same kind of feistiness in Tolvanen as I see in Aho. It wasn't there last year, though. Aho is a pretty small player, but it's ridiculous how well he can control the puck with a much heavier player hanging on his back.

I think 20 goals might have been possible for him this year (in the NHL), depending on how he would have adjusted to a narrower rink and less time and space to make plays especially on the powerplay.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'm seeing the same kind of feistiness in Tolvanen as I see in Aho. It wasn't there last year, though. Aho is a pretty small player, but it's ridiculous how well he can control the puck with a much heavier player hanging on his back.

I think 20 goals might have been possible for him this year (in the NHL), depending on how he would have adjusted to a narrower rink and less time and space to make plays especially on the powerplay.

Wasn't Eeli playing on the NA sized rink, not international until this year? No adjustment should have been needed.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Aho is a much better skater and a better playmaker. Their IQ is about even and their physicality. Aho is better in the d-zone as well. Obviously Eeli's shot is superior to Aho's.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I've always wondered this, and maybe it's just me, but do some Finnish last names sound Japanese or something to anyone else? Aho. Nittymaki. Salomaki. Just an observation, and a pointless one at that.

Winland

Mar 5, 2016
Eeli's point streak ended today against a bad opponent. Lines were mixed and Eeli's linemate Jesse Joensuu was super bad. Not much to report as Jokerit took their 13th win in a row. Happy times. :)

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I've always wondered this, and maybe it's just me, but do some Finnish last names sound Japanese or something to anyone else? Aho. Nittymaki. Salomaki. Just an observation, and a pointless one at that.
They only sound Japanese if you ignore how the (Ä, ä and Ö, ö) letters are pronounced. They sound nothing alike to Japanese names otherwise, even though some Finnish words and sentences sound alike to Japanese ones. Japanese is also talked much faster than Finnish, I feel.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
They only sound Japanese if you ignore how the (Ä, ä and Ö, ö) letters are pronounced. They sound nothing alike to Japanese names otherwise, even though some Finnish words and sentences sound alike to Japanese ones. Japanese is also talked much faster than Finnish, I feel.
I think as a rule most Asian languages are spoken at a faster pace than European. I think Asians talk the fastest, followed by Hispanics, followed by English and then the Nordic and Romance languages.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
I think as a rule most Asian languages are spoken at a faster pace than European. I think Asians talk the fastest, followed by Hispanics, followed by English and then the Nordic and Romance languages.
I thought you lived in Tennessee English is spoken at a slow pace here bud. That's the problem I have learning Spanish I have to speed up my comprehension.
Funny Story as a teenager my family visited the New York/ New England area and I had to translate English to English for my slow talking "hey y'all" "how's your mama and em" Parents.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I thought you lived in Tennessee English is spoken at a slow pace here bud. That's the problem I have learning Spanish I have to speed up my comprehension.
Funny Story as a teenager my family visited the New York/ New England area and I had to translate English to English for my slow talking "hey y'all" "how's your mama and em" Parents.

Watching the Brewers on Telemundo is the exact reason I didn't take Spanish in school. I would listen and I was like, there's no way I can speak that fast or comprehend what they're saying. So I took German instead which is a much slower language to speak. I barely remember any German though and the only reason I took a foreign language to begin with is my #1 college choice required two years of a foreign language for admissions. So, yeah, other than some words and a few phrases, I don't remember anything. :laugh:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Watching the Brewers on Telemundo is the exact reason I didn't take Spanish in school. I would listen and I was like, there's no way I can speak that fast or comprehend what they're saying. So I took German instead which is a much slower language to speak. I barely remember any German though and the only reason I took a foreign language to begin with is my #1 college choice required two years of a foreign language for admissions. So, yeah, other than some words and a few phrases, I don't remember anything. :laugh:
There's nothing more American than "learning" a foreign language for school then forgetting it all.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
There's nothing more American than "learning" a foreign language for school then forgetting it all.
Yes, except for the ridiculous phrases we'll never need but they're funny, like "et les enfants font des bonhommes de neige" and "bicyclette" ("and the children are making the good men of snow" and "bicycle saddle bag")

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

I took four semesters of Arabic in college and got three As and a B without ever actually learning the language.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Is it the phrase referring to human excrement? It is quite similar to the French word for human excrement.
That would make sense, since they're both romance languages, IOW derived from Latin (Rome) as opposed to Germanic. English is Germanic in nature but borrows a lot from other languages.

merda (l) = merde (fr) = mierde (sp)
scitte (ger)=our term

You see the relativity.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
That would make sense, since they're both romance languages, IOW derived from Latin (Rome) as opposed to Germanic. English is Germanic in nature but borrows a lot from other languages.

merda (l) = merde (fr) = mierde (sp)
scitte (ger)=our term

You see the relativity.

You know I was trying to avoid typing them out. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->