Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Doesn't Montreal need a centre more so than a winger. They had a lot of wingers.

How is Drouin at face-offs?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tampa just got bent over.

How is Ceci and the sens first not worth more.

Because teams closer to the cap are willing to pay more for good contracts that are compatible with where there team is at. Sergachev still has his entire ELC and possibly post ELC bridge deal which will allow TB to get 5-6 years of top 4 or better defense (depending on if he is ready now) at a bargain rate. Ceci has one more year left on his bridge deal and then will be able to go to arbitration or sign a 4.5M+ long term deal.

The Lightning couldn't afford to keep all three of Drouin, Palat, and Johnson. It was clear that Drouin wasn't as good of a fit with their coach as the other two, and it was also clear that he had the highest value of the three on the open market. Make no mistake, this is a great trade for MTL, but Yzerman didn't get bent over. Some teams had Sergachev in their top 5 last year at the draft. They had to move someone and they probably got the best return they could have gotten.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because teams closer to the cap are willing to pay more for good contracts that are compatible with where there team is at. Sergachev still has his entire ELC and possibly post ELC bridge deal which will allow TB to get 5-6 years of top 4 or better defense (depending on if he is ready now) at a bargain rate. Ceci has one more year left on his bridge deal and then will be able to go to arbitration or sign a 4.5M+ long term deal.

The Lightning couldn't afford to keep all three of Drouin, Palat, and Johnson. It was clear that Drouin wasn't as good of a fit with their coach as the other two, and it was also clear that he had the highest value of the three on the open market. Make no mistake, this is a great trade for MTL, but Yzerman didn't get bent over. Some teams had Sergachev in their top 5 last year at the draft. They had to move someone and they probably got the best return they could have gotten.

If that was the whole reason, I'd send Coop packing. Drouin was definitely worth the most.

For the better I'm not in charge of anything :laugh:

This has Turris trade written all over it, I just think instead of a reliable 2-way 60pt center, it's a 70+ point winger and PP dynamo. Would have been huge for the Sens. His 26 pp points in 73 games would have been immensely helpful with our putrid pp. Only difference being Sergachev won't bust like Rundblad.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
True. Not every guy can make that jump from junior is able to play from the get go.

While it's less of a factor but say Sergachev gets off to a rough start, does Tampa keep him on the roster for the sake of acquiring a 2nd rounder?

I think that's backwards no? If TB sends him back to juniors and he doesn't play 40 games THEN they receive the 2nd rounder for their 6th rounder. Doesn't make sense for them to get more out of the deal if Sergachev is more ready. Makes more sense if he's less developped that they receive compensation (in the form of a 2nd round pick).

Would everyone here have been happy with a Drouin for Chabot swap?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think that's backwards no? If TB sends him back to juniors and he doesn't play 40 games THEN they receive the 2nd rounder for their 6th rounder. Doesn't make sense for them to get more out of the deal if Sergachev is more ready. Makes more sense if he's less developped that they receive compensation (in the form of a 2nd round pick).

Would everyone here have been happy with a Drouin for Chabot swap?

In theory, but we haven't, and likely won't get another chance at a D prospect like Cabot for a long time (similar to not getting a chance at a guy like Drouin for a long time).

Value wise we would, but realistically we wouldn't.

I literally love both these players, so it would be too difficult.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it's a hell of a trade for Montreal.

If I didn't think Chabot will be much better than Sergachev, I'd be jealous that we didn't make that kind of swap.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think it's a hell of a trade for Montreal.

If I didn't think Chabot will be much better than Sergachev, I'd be jealous that we didn't make that kind of swap.

They might end up being very similar dmen when all's said and done. Wouldn't be surprised if both were in the Norris discussion 5-6 years from now. Yzerman did good here considering how much wealth he already possessed offensively. Now he gets to fit everyone left under the cap.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Drouin is a better player than Sergachev right now, but I think people are underrating Sergachev. His potential is enormous. One of the few D prospects out there with legitimate #1 upside.

D are so much more valuable to a team's success than wingers, and this is starting to be reflected in the valuations in the NHL trade market. When one of the best wingers in the league in Hall can only return a good young top 4 guy in Larsson, Drouin shouldn't return any more than Sergachev.

Add in the 5.5M in cap space and the likely 2nd round pick going to Tampa, and I chock this up as a win for the Lightning. Although admittedly I'm lower on Drouin than most people.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Tampa couldn't really afford Drouin right?

I don't think they really win it and I don't think Montreal really gains that much.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Drouin is a better player than Sergachev right now, but I think people are underrating Sergachev. His potential is enormous. One of the few D prospects out there with legitimate #1 upside.

D are so much more valuable to a team's success than wingers, and this is starting to be reflected in the valuations in the NHL trade market. When one of the best wingers in the league in Hall can only return a good young top 4 guy in Larsson, Drouin shouldn't return any more than Sergachev.

Add in the 5.5M in cap space and the likely 2nd round pick going to Tampa, and I chock this up as a win for the Lightning. Although admittedly I'm lower on Drouin than most people.
I think this is the first time in a long time we've agreed on something. Montreal will regret this move in the long term.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I think this is the first time in a long time we've agreed on something. Montreal will regret this move in the long term.

I guess they figure they can go get another top dman this summer. Perhaps through shopping Galchenyuk around?

I do agree that losing a top pairing dman is a big deal though, but gaining a 70-pts winger, who is from Montreal no less, is a huge get for Bergevin.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I remember so many people saying how great Yzerman was when they were trying to bash Murray.

Man, this is terrible. Like really terrible. Sens have another rival now. Habs were going to go downhill but not anymore.

So freaking stupid Yzerman
So funny how people think yzerman go bent but a year ago when some of us were talking about trading for drouin it was "drouin will be in Europe soon"

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Tampa couldn't really afford Drouin right?

I don't think they really win it and I don't think Montreal really gains that much.

This is a misconception. Would we trade Karlsson if we were in a cap crunch? Or would we trade someone else to make room for Karlsson?

If TB wanted to keep Drouin, they could have made it work at 5.5M and traded somebody else. They have lots of good forwards that teams would love to have.

They clearly decided that trading Drouin for the most ideal return was worth more to their team than having him at 5.5M and trading somebody else for a different return. I wouldn't say it's a red flag, they could have assessed the situation poorly like the Bruins did with Seguin, but clearly it wasn't a case of not affording, more of a case of feeling that a trade made their organization better.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
This is a misconception. Would we trade Karlsson if we were in a cap crunch? Or would we trade someone else to make room for Karlsson?

If TB wanted to keep Drouin, they could have made it work at 5.5M and traded somebody else. They have lots of good forwards that teams would love to have.

They clearly decided that trading Drouin for the most ideal return was worth more to their team than having him at 5.5M and trading somebody else for a different return. I wouldn't say it's a red flag, they could have assessed the situation poorly like the Bruins did with Seguin, but clearly it wasn't a case of not affording, more of a case of feeling that a trade made their organization better.

Why are you comparing Drouin to Karlsson when they have Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman and I'm probably forgetting other big names.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Wasn't Drouin thought to be a guy that can dish the puck?

Who is he going to dish the puck to on the Habs? Danault?

Cause they sure as **** aren't having Galchenyuk be their #1 center.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Wasn't Drouin thought to be a guy that can dish the puck?

Who is he going to dish the puck to on the Habs? Danault?

Cause they sure as **** aren't having Galchenyuk be their #1 center.

Patches?

Radulov? (in all likelihood)

You don't have to be a center to be setup by Drouin.

He's a play-making offensive winger, who is also very good at scoring. Already a top 5 forward in the league on the PP.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Patches?

He's a play-making offensive winger, who is also very good at scoring. Already a top 5 forward in the league on the PP.

We will see. Like the Sens, the Habs couldn't score for **** last season. Doubt this changes considering the system Julien plays.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
Patches?

Hey Bondra, the french media thinks Drouin is probably going to get a shot at playing center and Drouin actually said he think he could play center since he played the position in junior at times. What's your take on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad