Around the NHL XXXIII - looking forward to 2018 offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This is all that TB could get? Within their division? Not a good deal by Stevie Y?

A very good deal by Stevie Y. He gets rid of a player his management has been playing chicken with for a year, acquires a legitimate future top-pairing D and a conditional 2nd, and opens up a protection slot so he can keep Namestnikov and Killorn.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
That's what I keep hearing.

We'll see if the contender can even manage to make the playoffs next year.

Saved them 6 million in cap space and the opportunity to protect Killorn.

Killorn, Sergachev, cap space 2nd round pick... Or Drouin 6th round pick. It was a smart trade by both GM's. Never happens without expansion and the cap.

Laoghaire

Jun 1, 2008
Ottawa
A very good deal by Stevie Y. He gets rid of a player his management has been playing chicken with for a year, acquires a legitimate future top-pairing D and a conditional 2nd, and opens up a protection slot so he can keep Namestnikov and Killorn.
It's pretty much exactly the Turris trade.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I remember so many people saying how great Yzerman was when they were trying to bash Murray.

Man, this is terrible. Like really terrible. Sens have another rival now. Habs were going to go downhill but not anymore.

So freaking stupid Yzerman

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Excellent trade by MB and Yzerman. A blue chip defensive prospect for a legit top-6 forward (with top line potential) who grew up near Montreal (where his parents live). I hope he doesn't crumble under the pressure created by Montreal's hockey universe. Going from Tampa, where nobody knows Drouin on the streets, to Montreal where even casual fans know if he took a pregame dump, would be very different.

In other news, Sakic is still sitting on his thumb asking for the moon for Duchene. The market is now set.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I hope he crumbles under the pressure, gets a trade outside the division after huge disappointment and lights it up in the West.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah. This trade definitely going to impact what Sakic can get for Duchene.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Depending on how ready Sergachev is for the NHL, it's just an okay deal for Yzerman. If he doesn't break the 40 game barrier then a straight one for one swap means a clear win for Montreal.

Should be interesting to see what they get from a Galchenyuk trade.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Depending on how ready Sergachev is for the NHL, it's just an okay deal for Yzerman. If he doesn't break the 40 game barrier then a straight one for one swap means a clear win for Montreal.

Should be interesting to see what they get from a Galchenyuk trade.

This is directly in Tampa's control. I'd be so surprised if they force themselves into a 1-for-1 swap.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
So they just keep him in the AHL for most of the year to "get a feel for the pro game" (or some other excuse), and then call him up in March for the playoff push.

Easy peasy.

This is directly in Tampa's control. I'd be so surprised if they force themselves into a 1-for-1 swap.

Not that easy, Sergachev can't play in the AHL next season. If he doesn't make the team he has to be sent back to the OHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not that easy, Sergachev can't play in the AHL next season. If he doesn't make the team he has to be sent back to the OHL.

Yeah, he will burn an ELC year regardless. Montreal made out like Bandits. No AHL for him. He's the type of guy who should be playing pro, he doesn't need another year in Junior, just won the Mem cup. Tough decision for Tampa.

Tampa, they cleared cap, whatever. I can see this deal from their side of things.

Montreal were just able to pounce at the opportunity. Getting him on a long term deal at 5.5 is just amazing for them.

This is going to be a better Turris trade (as in the player they got, not what they gave up. Serg is a damn fine D prospect.).

To think, had we been able to get Sergachev like we wanted at the draft, we would likely have Drouin, White and Chabot in the lineup next year.

Last edited:

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

True. Not every guy can make that jump from junior is able to play from the get go.

While it's less of a factor but say Sergachev gets off to a rough start, does Tampa keep him on the roster for the sake of acquiring a 2nd rounder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad