Around the NHL VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Hoping we get the Hawks. Their depth is weaker than ever, and they lost in the 1st round last year, too. We could beat them. Rn, Minny is falling apart and SJ is not as strong as last year. Get in the poffs and everything is possible. The Ducks look strong as hell but I don't trust Gibson. It's anyone's game in the West.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Win as many as we can and hope the Kings lose just as many as we win.

We're Kings watchers now. They play the Flames today and the Oilers tomorrow.

If we don't play down to the Yotes on Monday we could be looking at a big swing come Tuesday morning. We'll need it as we then have the Flames and Sharks to contend with.

And yes, get ready for our boys to have the same taxing schedule as last year if we end up the last WC.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
LA lost to Calgary and plays in Edmonton Monday. We really need to get this win Monday!!

Hoping we get the Hawks. Their depth is weaker than ever, and they lost in the 1st round last year, too. We could beat them. Rn, Minny is falling apart and SJ is not as strong as last year. Get in the poffs and everything is possible. The Ducks look strong as hell but I don't trust Gibson. It's anyone's game in the West.

The hawks are 17-3 in their last 20 games. I don't care what depth they don't have, the guys playing are finding ways to win. They are peaking at the right time. Last year doesn't mean crap.

That is the only team I don't want to play at all. For a number of reasons....

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
LA lost to Calgary and plays in Edmonton Monday. We really need to get this win Monday!!

The hawks are 17-3 in their last 20 games. I don't care what depth they don't have, the guys playing are finding ways to win. They are peaking at the right time. Last year doesn't mean crap.

That is the only team I don't want to play at all. For a number of reasons....

I don't necessarily disagree but the fact that they are hot right now will likely mean zilch come playoff time. History has shown time and time again that how you play down the stretch has very little bearing on playoff success/failure

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm not even worried about not making the playoffs right now. The Kings aren't really a threat and I'm sure we'll make it. Right now, I just want us to start a good run that will carry on to the postseason. It comes with defense.

Also, Calgary's remaining schedule is tough. With a win tonight we'd be 3 points back and we have a game against them on Thursday which means we could be one point back.

Flames schedule:

@ WSH
@ NSH
@ STL
COL
LOS
SJS
ANA
@ ANA
@ LOS
@ SJS

There's only one "easy game". If they could just go on a bit of a slump we could still pass them. No need to talk about EDM or the Blues they have ridicilously easy schedules to end the regular season.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I don't necessarily disagree but the fact that they are hot right now will likely mean zilch come playoff time. History has shown time and time again that how you play down the stretch has very little bearing on playoff success/failure

Tell that to the Penguins last year. Their play down the stretch is THE reason they won.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
Tell that to the Penguins last year. Their play down the stretch is THE reason they won.

The coaching change is the largest reason for both their much improved play down the stretch and their cup win. Both were the result of a complete system change and the great play has carried over to this year.

Last edited:

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Well Edmonton beat LA. With our win we are 8 points ahead of them. I'm gong to assume st.Louis wins Tuesday in Colorado, so they will also be 8 points ahead of LA. LA is pretty much done.

These are probably your 8 teams, just seeding left to determine.

Also, we eliminated Arizona tonight.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
The best-case scenario is that Edmonton or Anaheim passes San Jose for the division, Nashville loses third place to St. Louis and passes Calgary for the 1st wildcard spot. That leaves the preds up against Anaheim or Edmonton in round one, both series I think they would win. Certainly a longshot, but here's hoping.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The best-case scenario is that Edmonton or Anaheim passes San Jose for the division, Nashville loses third place to St. Louis and passes Calgary for the 1st wildcard spot. That leaves the preds up against Anaheim or Edmonton in round one, both series I think they would win. Certainly a longshot, but here's hoping.

Absolutely. It'll get tight in the Pacific division.

IMO, we're not in competition against the Blues anymore. They have such easy schedule that there's just no way they'll lose the 3rd spot. Wild will finish 2nd, the Hawks will win the division.

For us, it's either the Hawks or the Pacific winner. Now the Calgary game is the biggest one this season. They have a tough schedule to close it off and by a win tomorrow we'd get one point back from them with one game in hand.

Edmonton also has a ridicilously easy schedule but I still think the Sharks will win the Pacific. But there's a chance the Oil could win it, they have 2 games against each other. Having EDM in the 1st round would be like winning the lottery.

The Ducks also have a tough schedule ahead and we're 4 points back from them so there's still a chance we could pass them and get that #1WC.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Ultimate goal is to win it all, so bring on whoever....

True, playoff are time for winners, go big or go home. But we can speculate, who would our best opponent be. The West is wide open this year, so just get in and anything can happen.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Absolutely. It'll get tight in the Pacific division.

IMO, we're not in competition against the Blues anymore. They have such easy schedule that there's just no way they'll lose the 3rd spot.

As much as I hate them, the Blues have been a pretty fascinating team lately. As late as January, they were a complete mess on defense and in goal, ranking in the bottom 10 in the league in both.

Then they fire Hitchcock and trade Shattenkirk, and now they have somehow turned into the best defense and goaltending team in the entire league.

Saw a stat last night that since Feb 1 they are #1 in the league in goals allowed and save %.

And lately they have almost been perfect- they basically don’t allow any goals and it is pretty hard to lose when you do that. In their last 9 games overall they have allowed a total of 13 goals. And in their past 7 road games they have allowed a total of 7 goals. SEVEN total goals allowed in 7 road games.

That is pretty crazy- hopefully it will not last.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
As much as I hate them, the Blues have been a pretty fascinating team lately. As late as January, they were a complete mess on defense and in goal, ranking in the bottom 10 in the league in both.

Then they fire Hitchcock and trade Shattenkirk, and now they have somehow turned into the best defense and goaltending team in the entire league.

Saw a stat last night that since Feb 1 they are #1 in the league in goals allowed and save %.

And lately they have almost been perfect- they basically don’t allow any goals and it is pretty hard to lose when you do that. In their last 9 games overall they have allowed a total of 13 goals. And in their past 7 road games they have allowed a total of 7 goals. SEVEN total goals allowed in 7 road games.

That is pretty crazy- hopefully it will not last.

Which tells me it's going to moderate a bit. Rarely do teams go from garbage to awesome overnight and then stay that way. Yeah it happened with Pittsburgh, but that was a team with players you knew were seriously underachieving, St. Lous isn't really in that same boat. They also haven't exactly been playing the best teams in the league either. When they have played top teams they have been losing with the exception of the one Wild game and the one San Jose game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia