Around the NHL VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashville Stroke

Apr 25, 2016
Lawrenceburg, TN
You do realize that games in Korea would have been televised in NA between 1 and 6 am, right? This was always a loser for NA viewing purposes. Great decision to not run a compressed schedule and disrupt the NHL season.

I imagine that the medal games at least would have been played and the replay broadcast on a weekend afternoon or primetime slot. I'm fine with the decision myself.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Love the decision. Olympic hockey is often overrated and disrupts the NHL season via compressed scheduling and the Olympic break. Plus the level of Canadian ******** over the decision should be amusing for a bit.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
The NHL finally has done something right. Now time to place strict rules about players leaving to participate.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I imagine that the medal games at least would have been played and the replay broadcast on a weekend afternoon or primetime slot. I'm fine with the decision myself.

Nope. Korean Olympic organizers wanted games to slot between the morning outside events and evening more popular events their time to bolster ticket sales, which meant middle of the night broadcast times in NA for hockey.

Smashville Stroke

Apr 25, 2016
Lawrenceburg, TN
Nope. Korean Olympic organizers wanted games to slot between the morning outside events and evening more popular events their time to bolster ticket sales, which meant middle of the night broadcast times in NA for hockey.

I figured it would be handled like the London or Beijing games. Where the important events to the US were played on a delay in primetime to the US audience.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
You do realize that games in Korea would have been televised in NA between 1 and 6 am, right? This was always a loser for NA viewing purposes. Great decision to not run a compressed schedule and disrupt the NHL season.
I didn't really think of this. I love Olympic hockey, World Cup soccer, basically Team USA in anything where we compete with the world with our best athletes, so I was initially pissed, but this is true. I doubt I'd have seen anything that's not on a weekend anyway.

I figured it would be handled like the London or Beijing games. Where the important events to the US were played on a delay in primetime to the US audience.
With social media the way it is now, people would still know what happened before it aired. They'd still have reporters there posting content whether it's recaps or tweets that people would see before watching the games.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
From an NHL business standpoint it's a good move. I don't like tournaments in pre or mid season. The games (World Cup?) they had this past year messed with our guys' chemistry for a fourth of the season. I don't see that with the international tournament after a player is out of the playoffs--they're fine come fall. There is risk involved with allowing your player to participate in a non NHL game during the pre or regular season. He might be hurt and he doesn't get the midseason rest that the other players get. I saw it somewhere, but why not consider making hockey part of the summer games? It's not like they're playing pond hockey, they're in a created environment. It wouldn't remove all of the risk but it would make it during the off season instead of a critical time in the regular season. And make it JULY, not late fall.

As for whether I'll watch it, sure, as long as it doesn't interfere with a Preds game.

Mortiest Morty

Feb 6, 2017
I don't care for Olympic hockey at all. It was generally boring and I never cared who won, so I'm glad they're skipping next year.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Looks like tonight all but settled the east. Boston and Ottawa both winning eliminates Carolina, and I believe both Tampa and the Isles have an elimination number of 2. Props to Boston, the looked dead in the water 3 weeks ago but they have closed strong.

SauceMyBiscuit

Aug 22, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Thank god we didn't trade for Matt Duchene. I heard rumors that the asking price was a top 4D, defensive prospect, and possibly a first rounder? I know the Avs have been done since about game 30, but 1 point in the last 21 games between Landeskog and Mackinnon is unexcusable. Thank sweet Jesus we didn't acquire him at the TDL.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Thank god we didn't trade for Matt Duchene. I heard rumors that the asking price was a top 4D, defensive prospect, and possibly a first rounder? I know the Avs have been done since about game 30, but 1 point in the last 21 games between Landeskog and Mackinnon is unexcusable. Thank sweet Jesus we didn't acquire him at the TDL.
Yeah I don't think he went anywhere for that reason.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Yeah thank God we didn't add a terrible team's leading goal scorer. If he had been on any team other than Colorado or Arizona, he likely would have 25-30 goals. Who needs someone who scores like that right? :sarcasm:

And what does Landeskog and Mackinnon have to do with Duchene?

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006

Funny timing, Duchene had a 3 points last night against the Hawks. He also never plays with Mack, FYI. His most common linemates recently are Landy, Compher, and Nieto.

That may have been the rumored asking price, but they will never get that much. I heard we offered Fabbro, Kamenev, and a 1st.

I still hope we go after him, depending on the price. Colorado is a mess and with Sakic going public that Duchene is available, I'm not surprised he has mailed it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad