Around the NHL VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Last night could not have gone better for us. Chicago, St. Louis and Anaheim all lay eggs and Colorado gets a huge win against the Cansucks to stay in playoff position.

Now we just need to capitalize against a team that has given us fits the past two seasons.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Last night could not have gone better for us. Chicago, St. Louis and Anaheim all lay eggs and Colorado gets a huge win against the Cansucks to stay in playoff position.

Now we just need to capitalize against a team that has given us fits the past two seasons.

How did that make out in the best case for us? Would have been best case if Colorado lost. While they won't catch us barring any complete failures, a few more losses in the next week would put them so far out of reach by the time we play them on the 28th that the game wouldn't be as intense.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
How did that make out in the best case for us? Would have been best case if Colorado lost. While they won't catch us barring any complete failures, a few more losses in the next week would put them so far out of reach by the time we play them on the 28th that the game wouldn't be as intense.

Assuming you don't want Minny to make the playoffs, Colorado wins are fine.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN

Right, so long as we are still ahead of them both, the more Colorado wins, the less likely it is that the other team in the hunt for 8th gets in. Win win.

Yes, still bitter.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

It actually doesn't bother me if MIN gets in. Actually in a way I'd rather them get in than COL, as I don't see COL as deserving and I hate that team's hot headed coach.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver

COL is 7 points back with one extra game played, a brutal end to the schedule, and 11 games left total (12 for us). Pretty sure we're fine.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
COL is 7 points back with one extra game played, a brutal end to the schedule, and 11 games left total (12 for us). Pretty sure we're fine.

As noted in the same post you quoted, I wasn't worried about them catching us, but should they be in playoff contention when we play them (we have 2 more games against them) they will play harder than they would if they were out by 4 or 5 points at this point. A loss last night and a MIN win tonight would have been a devastating blow to their post season chances. Last night was a MUST win for them.

So my post was more about our 2 remaining head to head games against them than anything else.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Whoops my bad; fair enough.

And looking at the standings, it is unlikely we pass the Hawks, but within the realm of possibility if we win tonight (3 pts back, same GP with a W). How amazing would it be if we passed them and they ended up playing LA in the first round? If we can't play CHI, I would love that.

wpgpreds

May 10, 2011
You know, I've put the whole situation behind me, but seeing wild fans complain about Suter in the GDT makes me very, very happy.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
And thanks for nuthin" Tampa :rant:

Actually as long as we are WC1, I am completely happy with Dallas winning every other game. They lost their last so this one is ok. LA is 2 points behind them and very well may catch them which would have us match up with Dallas. I sure do not want St. Louis or LA.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
It's sad that we have the same number of wins as Colorado. #loserpoints

While that is true, it's really kind of a misleading stat.

While we do have the same amount of wins, we have 9 fewer regulation losses, which to me is a much better way of judging a team's season. Especially when there is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs. In fact, our 22 regulation losses are tied for 3rd fewest in the entire league.

Heck, even Dallas, STL and Chicago barely have more wins than Colorado.

Another oddity I noticed last night- the Kings have ELEVEN 3 on 3 OT wins this year- which means they have only 30 regulation wins. Even the Avs have more than that. The Blues have 29, even fewer than the Avs. The Preds have 32, which puts them tied for 4th most in the league.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
While that is true, it's really kind of a misleading stat.

While we do have the same amount of wins, we have 9 fewer regulation losses, which to me is a much better way of judging a team's season. Especially when there is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs. In fact, our 22 regulation losses are tied for 3rd fewest in the entire league.

Heck, even Dallas, STL and Chicago barely have more wins than Colorado.

Another oddity I noticed last night- the Kings have ELEVEN 3 on 3 OT wins this year- which means they have only 30 regulation wins. Even the Avs have more than that. The Blues have 29, even fewer than the Avs. The Preds have 32, which puts them tied for 4th most in the league.

In the playoffs a loss is a loss. No half win for losing in OT. I believe I read recently that this franchise has only won ONE OT game in the playoffs EVER. So I won't hold any hope there until they change that stat.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The kings are by far the best 3v3 team in the league. Kopitar is one of the best when it comes to building a wall and holding on to the puck. Doughty is obviously one of the best two way d men in the world and Quick is one of the most athletic goalies in the league. Doesn't really matter who else they throw out there.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
In the playoffs a loss is a loss. No half win for losing in OT. I believe I read recently that this franchise has only won ONE OT game in the playoffs EVER. So I won't hold any hope there until they change that stat.

5 on 5 OT is nothing like 3 on 3- we have as good a chance to win playoff OT games as anyone in the league.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
The kings are by far the best 3v3 team in the league. Kopitar is one of the best when it comes to building a wall and holding on to the puck. Doughty is obviously one of the best two way d men in the world and Quick is one of the most athletic goalies in the league. Doesn't really matter who else they throw out there.

No doubt about it, but that won't do them any good come playoff time- its a whole different beast. I would also argue that no matter how good you are you have to have some good luck to go 11-2 in 3 on 3 OT like the Kings have.

(One other oddity- as good as they are THIS year at 3 on 3, last year in OT (4 on 4) the Kings were almost as bad as we are this year in OT. They were 1-7. Sometimes these things are just random and change from year to year for no logical reason.)

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
5 on 5 OT is nothing like 3 on 3- we have as good a chance to win playoff OT games as anyone in the league.

I never said 5 on 5 OT was like 3 on 3. Just that a loss is a loss. Everyone keeps pointing to "There is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs". Well that's all fine and dandy if we could win a playoff OT game. But like I said, someone posted after the last OT loss (can't remember if it was Vingan, Jim Diamond or someone else) but we only have won ONE OT game in the playoffs in franchise history. Doesn't mean that won't change, but still doesn't bode well for us.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I never said 5 on 5 OT was like 3 on 3. Just that a loss is a loss. Everyone keeps pointing to "There is no 3 on 3 in the playoffs". Well that's all fine and dandy if we could win a playoff OT game. But like I said, someone posted after the last OT loss (can't remember if it was Vingan, Jim Diamond or someone else) but we only have won ONE OT game in the playoffs in franchise history. Doesn't mean that won't change, but still doesn't bode well for us.

Not to be argumentative, but again, and maybe it is just me, I think we stack up well with anyone in playoff OT. We did lose both OT games last year vs. the Hawks, but they were epic, multiple OT games- we didn't play poorly at all in those games.

I don't think us losing OT playoff games years ago has any bearing whatsoever on this year's playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad