Around the NHL VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Last post from deanwormer:

If it's $2mil to dump him, whats it gonna' take to dump Phenouf?

I'm still not sure they're keeping enough to get someone to deal them close to what he's actually worth though - that's such and albatross of a contract.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Last post from deanwormer:

If it's $2mil to dump him, whats it gonna' take to dump Phenouf?

I'm still not sure they're keeping enough to get someone to deal them close to what he's actually worth though - that's such and albatross of a contract.

At 5-6 millionish though?!? You should be able to net a rather substantial return I think, and by that, I mean a 1, a top prospect, and a roster player.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Apparently the Kings have the ability to terminate contracts now.

I guess that helps when you have an albatross contract and don't want to buy the player out.

What a farce.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I guess that helps when you have an albatross contract and don't want to buy the player out.

What a farce.

I can't imagine that will hold up unless there are some seriously mitigating circumstances. This wasn't a mutual termination either, just contract terminated by the Kings? Wow. Well, Lombardi's always been one to skirt the edges of the CBA/rules. Maybe there's our cap recapture-type loophole though Enoch. :laugh:

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
There has to be some 'behavioral' incident or legal issue the Kings have to back up a move like this. Cannot just be buyer's remorse like it appears. I expect enough legal wrangling to enrich several lawyers on this.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
As a multi-sport fan, I'm jaded. You can basically do anything in any other other sports and you are suspended, not terminated (football being the obvious exception). I honestly have no idea how this is even realistically possible. It is a complete attempt to get out from under a contract, regardless of whatever they have on Richards.

And I agree ID LOL

van22

May 25, 2014

What a farce.

Must have sufficient evidence for the NHL to sign off - can't happen without the league's approval (all movements have to be recorded in the central registry). Details will start coming out soon enough as it's doubtful that Richards doesn't fight back given the amounts involved.

Still liable for the recapture penalty.
Bob McKenzieVerified account@TSNBobMcKenzie
Note: Even tho LAK terminated Richards' contract, they are still responsible for a cap recapture amount, per CBA.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Must have sufficient evidence for the NHL to sign off - can't happen without the league's approval (all movements have to be recorded in the central registry). Details will start coming out soon enough as it's doubtful that Richards doesn't fight back given the amounts involved.

Still liable for the recapture penalty.

Im not sure the NHL has signed off on it. Daly "declined to comment"

van22

May 25, 2014
Im not sure the NHL has signed off on it. Daly "declined to comment"

They have to for it to be recorded in the central registry.

More on Mike Richards: http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/...ngeles-kings-terminate-contract-mike-richards
According to a source, the Kings did inform the league about their intent to terminate Richards' contract, even before putting him on unconditional waivers Sunday. The NHL Players' Association has a right to file a grievance for Richards and is in the process of gathering information before deciding whether to take that route.
[...]
Several sources told ESPN.com the Kings were made aware of the situation Friday, approximately an hour after the first round of the 2015 NHL draft had begun.

The team was already in the process of trying to trade him -- discussions were in place with both the Edmonton Oilers and the Calgary Flames -- but Kings general manager Dean Lombardi immediately informed both teams upon learning about the situation that he had no prior knowledge of the incident and halted those talks, according to a source.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
So let me get this straight:

The Kings didn't terminate a player on their own roster for both domestic abuse and cocaine possession, but this unknown cause, allows them to terminate a 25 million dollar / 5 year contract and immediately alleviate their AWFUL cap situation.

Convenient and blatant.

I'm not saying Richards didn't do something that is egregious. I am saying this is a farce, and should not be allowed almost irregardless of what has been done.

When has this even been done?

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
So let me get this straight:

The Kings didn't terminate a player on their own roster for both domestic abuse and cocaine possession, but this unknown cause, allows them to terminate a 25 million dollar / 5 year contract and immediately alleviate their AWFUL cap situation.

Convenient and blatant.

I'm not saying Richards didn't do something that is egregious. I am saying this is a farce, and should not be allowed almost irregardless of what has been done.

When has this even been done?

Legally I would guess the difference would be if Voynov is claiming to be innocent, and Richards has either confessed to something or was "caught red handed" . I could see not terminating voynovs contract in case he is exonerated.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Legally I would guess the difference would be if Voynov is claiming to be innocent, and Richards has either confessed to something or was "caught red handed" . I could see not terminating voynovs contract in case he is exonerated.

You are obviously correct especially given the legal matters.

But....

I still think the point stands, example provided withstanding.

Even if Richards is a lazy drug-abusing bum, I can't see him having his contract terminated. There are specific drug agreement provisions in just about any league. In terms of work attitude, his contract is guaranteed.
- For the record, I am not saying that Richards is or isn't these things. I am saying that the CBA has provisions for most of these items. Most professional contracts do.

I know the details are not out, and I guess we really need those details to fully analyze. That said, it seems like a pretty blatant attempt to get out from this contract without having to suffer any consequences.

I would think this is a very touchy ground as well. It might behoove the owners to support this as it could push towards a grey area in contract guarantees. The players will likely need to fight this dramatically even if the offense is egregious for similar reasons.

Last edited:

van22

May 25, 2014
tried following it today. From what I understood, the Kings wanted him to stay in LA for the summer and he refused. I don't see how it is termable though

Doubtful - it was an incident that they learned about at the draft table. They were already negotiating with teams to trade him and had to cut negotiations short once they learned about the incident (see link a few posts above).
Deputy commissioner Daly confirmed to Sportsnet that his contract was terminated for "material breach" - http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-terminate-mike-richards-contract-cite-breach/

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Or we're talking about something that from a conventional legal standpoint isn't as egregious as Voynov's actions - but for the league itself is freakin' huge. Sort of a "directly damaging to the team or the League" thing. There's possibilities like that I can think of, but suggesting them would probably constitute libel.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Or we're talking about something that from a conventional legal standpoint isn't as egregious as Voynov's actions - but for the league itself is freakin' huge. Sort of a "directly damaging to the team or the League" thing. There's possibilities like that I can think of, but suggesting them would probably constitute libel.
(probably) Called it!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/sources-kings-found-out-about-richards-at-draft/
In a brief filed to the NHL and the NHLPA, the team referenced Section 2(e) of the SPC, which states a player agrees “to conduct himself on and off the rink according to the highest standards of honesty, morality, fair play and sportsmanship, and to refrain from conduct detrimental to the best interest of the Club, the League or professional hockey generally.”

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Again, as I said earlier, this is huge irregardless of the situation. This could allow the owners the ability to terminate contracts, which is something the players absolutely do not want.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
I'm betting PED's. I suspect he was going to TJ to get some - either that or just illegal drugs period - and he got caught at the border coming back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad