Around the NHL IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarnberg

Jul 10, 2002
Nashville
Visit site
The Jets were already a tough team to play against and they look like they got better on paper now and picked up some good prospects.

They easily look like a team who could beat the Preds in a 7 game series.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
The Jets were already a tough team to play against and they look like they got better on paper now and picked up some good prospects.

I keep seeing people say this, but could someone please explain to me how they clearly got better? Tyler Myers isn't nearly as physical, nor as good defensively as Bogosian, though he is better offensively. Myers for Bogo is a wash at best for the Jets. Is Drew Stafford really someone we need to fear? I don't see it.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Except one. Size!

Forsberg, Neal, Beck, Goose, Nystrom all guys with size. Fisher has freakish strength.

Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks were very successful without big physical teams...........size is great when paired with playing ability but playing ability trumps size every day of the week.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I keep seeing people say this, but could someone please explain to me how they clearly got better? Tyler Myers isn't nearly as physical, nor as good defensively as Bogosian, though he is better offensively. Myers for Bogo is a wash at best for the Jets. Is Drew Stafford really someone we need to fear? I don't see it.

I think for this season it's a win for the Jets because Kane is out for the season anyway and Stafford is playing but long term we won't know who won this trade for a few years.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
I think for this season it's a win for the Jets because Kane is out for the season anyway and Stafford is playing but long term we won't know who won this trade for a few years.

Sure, Stafford is a slight upgrade, but he's not the player he used to be, he's a 3rd liner. I just don't see why the Jets are a team to fear all of the sudden.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Forsberg, Neal, Beck, Goose, Nystrom all guys with size. Fisher has freakish strength.

Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Blackhawks were very successful without big physical teams...........size is great when paired with playing ability but playing ability trumps size every day of the week.
That Wilson guy is pretty big too.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013

Forsberg does not have size. He gets pushed around quite often. LA manhandled him in all 3 games.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Totally disagree here, not many on our team are stronger on the puck than Forsberg, it's one of his biggest assets.

He may be strong on the puck, but he is also small, he gets knocked around by the bigger teams such as LA easily. That is why I want Neal back on that top line, Smith makes it smaller.

Privy

#ShutUpStu
Nov 25, 2011
Antoine Roussel (DAL) suspended two games for cross checking Adam McQuaid (BOS) in the throat.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013
Forsberg does not have size. He gets pushed around quite often. LA manhandled him in all 3 games.

We've only played LA twice. I'd have to go back and re-watch the earlier game, but I certainly don't remember him being "manhandled" in the January game, I thought he played fine.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
We've only played LA twice. I'd have to go back and re-watch the earlier game, but I certainly don't remember him being "manhandled" in the January game, I thought he played fine.

I got this year and last year mixed up as far as the schedule goes. Last year we were done with them by the end of December.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Winnepeg is worse now than when we played them last.

Bogosian is a better defenceman than myers
Kane is a better forward thn stafford.

But Stafford will play for them during this spring and Kane's been a problem over and over again. The slight downgrade from Bogo to Myers, if there even is one, is negated by the warm body they get back in Stafford.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Hawks are thanking us for winning in regulation. Jets have played 3 more games then their competition for the wildcard. The Calgary/LA game is huge game. Flames win and they go into 3rd in the pacific. Kings have to win to make up ground.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville

They might be better, but they are a team the Preds take down 4-1 in a series. They simply don't have enough O. For all the "scary" talk of Barts/Bit out there, they really only had 1 or 2 truly terrible shifts - the other night against TB, they probably only had one truly good shift. The difference wasn't so much in how they played as much as the talent level they played against. If we can role a pair of 7th dmen out there and give up one or two ugly chances that's pretty much telling you everything you need to know about the opponents O.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
He may be strong on the puck, but he is also small, he gets knocked around by the bigger teams such as LA easily. That is why I want Neal back on that top line, Smith makes it smaller.

Your point on size is taken and the truth but really size isn't as important as "hockey strength" as Trig pointed out. Forsberg plays with man strength and is one of the strongest players along the wall and protecting the puck on this team. Take for example Goose or Nystrom who are bigger in lbs than Forsberg but much weaker on the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad