Around the NHL 2017-18: Stanley Cup Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
They don't give out participation trophies in professional sports.

And yet, there's more to the NHL than winning the Stanley Cups. Some might disagree here, but I am thankful for the last 7-8 years. The memories I have of games I watched. Moments I will never forget.

Gaborik's 3OT game winner
Richards scoring with 0.1 seconds to go in Phoenix
Beating Philly 7-0 at the Garden
The following season, sweeping that same Philly team including the Winter Classic
Coming back from 3-1 down against Pitt and Washington in the play-offs
The Oilers game I attended last season (My first game ever)
Coming back from 4-2 to beat Minny 5-4
Puempel's odd hattrick
Richards tying with 6.6 seconds to go vs Washington and the OT winner by Staal afterwards
Talbot's amazing run when Lundqvist was out with that throat-injury

I can go on and on.

FJB

Jun 30, 2009
If there's any chance Tavares goes UFA, throw the bank at him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
And yet, there's more to the NHL than winning the Stanley Cups. Some might disagree here, but I am thankful for the last 7-8 years. The memories I have of games I watched. Moments I will never forget.

Gaborik's 3OT game winner
Richards scoring with 0.1 seconds to go in Phoenix
Beating Philly 7-0 at the Garden
The following season, sweeping that same Philly team including the Winter Classic
Coming back from 3-1 down against Pitt and Washington in the play-offs
The Oilers game I attended last season (My first game ever)
Coming back from 4-2 to beat Minny 5-4
Puempel's odd hattrick
Richards tying with 6.6 seconds to go vs Washington and the OT winner by Staal afterwards
Talbot's amazing run when Lundqvist was out with that throat-injury

I can go on and on.
I agree, spring of 2014 was one of the funnest times in my life.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
You and I are not participating in professional sports.

Cup or bust is a fine mentality to have as a player, but it’s just plain dumb for a fan. Self sabotage.

As someone who has played professional sports, I can honestly say that the mentality as a player is completely different, even though I have amazing memories despite losing 2 finals in 4 years and never winning a championship.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Devils - Senators 4-4 OT hockey!
E. Karlsson with 1 assist.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Oscar Lindberg with a super effort on short handed goal. f*** you expansion draft

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Oscar Lindberg with a super effort on short handed goal. **** you expansion draft
7-0 Vegas :)
Boo Nieves had 3 pts in his first game - we need to trust in our farm system now. ))

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Jets - Jackets (1-0) lead, that`s a good result for us if Jets somehow manage to get 2 pts. in that game.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Devils won on penalties 2 pts. and Jackets & Torts won 2 pts.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
The thing about cup or bust is that you won't win the cup every season(if that's your mentality year in and year out). I'd be happy to have one cup.

Reactions: McD37

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Watching this afternoon game and keeping up with the charts for attempts and chances on ES and all situations, it shows thee Sabres have had a decent game. They've slowly been adjusting to a new system, but they still have a lot of guys who probably should not be on the roster/a lot of injuries. Interesting to see where they go this year. Also, not sure if it's just cause SJ isn't that good either.

As I say this, Couture scores

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Man Eichel is intense. He snaps his stick over his leg like Bo Jackson used to do with his bat screaming out f*** as he did it.
and Okposo seems to be garbage this season. That team seems to be stuck in mud even after all their draft picks

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I don't get the coaching decision of sitting Jack within the last minute of the period.

Game could have went either way

He did? I didn't take notice of that. Oh well i guess Phil Housley's days are now numbered lol

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Man Eichel is intense. He snaps his stick over his leg like Bo Jackson used to do with his bat screaming out **** as he did it.
and Okposo seems to be garbage this season. That team seems to be stuck in mud even after all their draft picks

The challenge with teams that pick high is that a lot of times they rely on being able to get great prospects with the high picks and then struggle to find gems in the later rounds. In some ways, it's almost the opposite of the Rangers for the last 5 years. The Rangers have done a solid job of finding jobs later on in the first round and beyond.

I think that's why there is an intense curiosity to see what the Rangers could do in a good, deep draft, with a plethora of picks.

Reactions: Trxjw

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The challenge with teams that pick high is that a lot of times they rely on being able to get great prospects with the high picks and then struggle to find gems in the later rounds. In some ways, it's almost the opposite of the Rangers for the last 5 years. The Rangers have done a solid job of finding jobs later on in the first round and beyond.

I think that's why there is an intense curiosity to see what the Rangers could do in a good, deep draft, with a plethora of picks.

I agree that the Rangers have done reasonably well with what they've had, but have they really done better than average? I feel like most other teams have at least the same rate of success late in drafts, although I don't have an analysis to back this up.

Their inability to pick at the top of the draft is the only thing holding me back from wanting a complete fire sale type rebuild. I just don't trust these guys with premium picks, and that stretches back a long time: McIlrath, Montoya, Jessiman, Malhotra, etc.). Perhaps it's just bad luck.

Reactions: Nickmo82
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad