Around the NHL 2014-15, Part III: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Aaron Portzline ‏@Aportzline 24m24 minutes ago
#CBJ losing director of amateur scouting Paul Castron to #NJDevils, where he will fill same capacity but have final say on draft picks.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Voracek is an incredible hockey player. Absolutely deserves his contract. Maybe the term is too long, but otherwise, Flyers fans are excited for good reason.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005316.html

he was in charge of their drafts starting in 2007. apparently lost some power and wasn't the main guy in past two season. kekäläinen brough his own guys (part of the reason our amateur head scout became available).

funny enough, his first pick with jackets.. jakub voracek.

Hm. Columbus' drafts really didn't start getting good until Jarmo came along. Those drafts under Howson and especially Maclean were really bad.

Klesla, fine. Leclaire, ugh. Nash, great. Zherdev, fine I guess. Picard, yikes. Brule, yikes. Brassard, never got going in Columbus really. Voracek, also never really got going in Columbus. Filatov, lol. John Moore, lol.

Really, the only stand outs from 2000-2010 are Nash, Brassard, and Voracek. Since 2011, at least Columbus has been able to draft in the later rounds.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I assume the Hawks will terminate his contract any minute now.

it could actually happen if these rape allegations turn out to be true

Source: http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sources-patrick-kane-target-of-rape-investigation-20150806

Patrick Kane, the Chicago Blackhawks star who grew up in South Buffalo, is the target of a rape investigation by Hamburg police for an incident that occurred over the last weekend, two law enforcement sources have told The Buffalo News.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
It's scary how misogynistic a lot of people become, seeminly without being aware of it, when someone they like is accused of something like this.

Some of the posts, especially on the Hawks board are just... wow.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It's scary how misogynistic a lot of people become, seeminly without being aware of it, when someone they like is accused of something like this.

We're not going to go too deep into a discussion like this, but I think people do a really bad job at allowing things to play out. I think in a case like this people can be very extreme on both sides of the fence. We've seen high profile celebrities do horrible things and we've also seen people do horrible things to high profile celebrities. Until the justice system rules on it, all of this is conjecture.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I have been a hater of Patrick Kane for years. What ever it is he did(everything is basically rumored at the moment, right?) It adds fuel to my strong dislike of Kane.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Good time for a reminder...

Until the allegations are made public, our policy is not to deal in rumors here. It's for everyone's own good, since posts from HFBoards have been hit for libel by lawyers. Crazy but true. Remember these posts show up in Google searches, so everything you say is published to the net.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Some folks are unwilling to believe anything bad about their hero's, ever.......on the flip side some folks are so achingly desperate to prove how right-on and pro-feminst they are that any man accused of sexual assault is instantly guilty, and any evidence/verdict to the contrary only proves the oppressive, mysogynistic male patriarchy.

Remember when Nicastro was arrested for rape? Remember all the folks calling for him to be locked up and the key thrown away? Remember how the charges were dropped a few months later?

It's why we have a criminal justice system. Its why crimes are tried in courts of law, and not on twitter (or HFBoards). As someone who was once accused by a (crazy) co-worker of plotting to kill them, it's a system I'm rather glad of.

Actual Thought*

I have been a hater of Patrick Kane for years. What ever it is he did(everything is basically rumored at the moment, right?) It adds fuel to my strong dislike of Kane.

It is just rumors at this point but he does have a history of narcissistic behavior. Not the kind of guy I would want representing my team.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Much less the game itself. I used to coach and when kids would show up to practice in Kane jerseys I'd just shake my head.

Kids only know the guy on the ice. At least that's how it was then I was little. Belfour seemed like a cool dude back then. The realization maybe he wasn't comes later.

Actual Thought*

If Kane is arrested does he get to take the cup for a day in jail?:naughty:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Good time for a reminder...

Until the allegations are made public, our policy is not to deal in rumors here. It's for everyone's own good, since posts from HFBoards have been hit for libel by lawyers. Crazy but true. Remember these posts show up in Google searches, so everything you say is published to the net.

Aren't libel laws about public figures much more lax? How on earth do gossip sites and comment sections of almost every celeb news site not get dropped by lawyers every single second of every day?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Aren't libel laws about public figures much more lax? How on earth do gossip sites and comment sections of almost every celeb news site not get dropped by lawyers every single second of every day?

That might be the case, but the site's rules are not lax about it:

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

It's a fair question and I don't blame you for asking. Aside from the general forum rules Soups pointed out, there was a high profile case where internet posters were hit with legal action.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/brian-burke-sues-online-commenters-claims-defamation-1.1400105

Did anything come of it? I'm not sure, I haven't taken the time to check. But it was enough for forums like this to start scrubbing posts that deal in rumor and hearsay if they didn't already.

On a practical side , it's a nightmare for mods to sift through the "I heard from a friend" type posts. How do you really determine who is reputable and who is not? These types of posts are fairly benign when we're talking trades, but when you're talking sexual assault, adultery, and other life changing events... the stakes go up dramatically.

Plus, and I think this is the most important element, there's a human side that we might forget. Posts that we make on here can go viral and reach the players and their family. Even if something isn't true, and it makes the rounds on the internet, that's a very stressful and difficult scenario for the player, their wives, and family.

Personally, I'd rather not have any part in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland