Around the NHL 2014-15, Part III: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I don't think there is a single forward player or prospect (in general) the Wings have that I wouldn't trade for Kopi outside of Z/Dats. Kopi is a fantastic center. I don't know how'd we sign him though with the RFA deals we need to sign for next year. Dekeyser, Mrzaek, Sheahan will probably not be cheap deals. Wings would almost have to make this a sign and trade to work. One of Nyquist, Howard, E, Jurco Sheahan or Franzen would have to go back the other way or get moved in a separate deal.

I expect something like Dekeyers 5 mil, Mrzaek 3 mil, Sheahan 2 mil. Which only gives us 8 mil to sign/ bring up 2 more players to get us to the 18 minimum. Really we'll have probably 5 mil to play around with, as I doubt they go into the season with less than 20 players on the roster.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I'd hesitate to sign Kopitar to one of these 8 year, 8.5-9M+ deals, too. The contract starts when he's 29 and his career year offensively was six years ago. He's had a 70pt pace for three seasons now, last year even lower. Another small drop offensively(which is to be expected 2-4 years from now) and you're stuck with a very expensive 2nd line center for the back half of that contract, with no bargain on the front half. As much as you love the player and his complete game, offense is what you pay the big bucks for.

Now that it looks like the salary cap might not rise anywhere near as fast as people first projected, there have to be a great deal of confidence before signing a Toews/Kane contract. When those deals were made, I bet Chicago was banking on a 80-85M cap soon enough. Under the 71M cap, doesn't look very good nor give you a lot of options.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Imagine if we could roll something like

Kopitar
Datsyuk
Sheahan
Glendening

as our Cs for a season or two? Guys like Z and Helm (maybe? cap would need to be massaged obviously) are still able to slide in when needed.

Give Kopitar Nyquist on a wing, Datsyuk Zetterberg on a wing and Sheahan Tatar on a wing and sprinkle Abby, Jurco, Franzen (health?), Pulkkinen up and down the lines where they fit best and no one can match up comfortably with Blash.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

*breathing intensifies*

The only problem is with what Toews and Kane got recently, that means Kopitar is going to be looking to make some serious cash.

That said, with Zetterberg's back bending like a coat hanger and Datsyuk not long before he returns to Russia, Kopitar could be a huge boost. That is assuming he is even interested in a team on the decline compared to other teams which will also be vying for his services should he make it to free agency.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I'd hesitate to sign Kopitar to one of these 8 year, 8.5-9M+ deals, too. The contract starts when he's 29 and his career year offensively was six years ago. He's had a 70pt pace for three seasons now, last year even lower. Another small drop offensively(which is to be expected 2-4 years from now) and you're stuck with a very expensive 2nd line center for the back half of that contract, with no bargain on the front half. As much as you love the player and his complete game, offense is what you pay the big bucks for.

Now that it looks like the salary cap might not rise anywhere near as fast as people first projected, there have to be a great deal of confidence before signing a Toews/Kane contract. When those deals were made, I bet Chicago was banking on a 80-85M cap soon enough. Under the 71M cap, doesn't look very good nor give you a lot of options.

scoring has declined. that explains the drop in offensive numbers.

*breathing intensifies*

The only problem is with what Toews and Kane got recently, that means Kopitar is going to be looking to make some serious cash.

That said, with Zetterberg's back bending like a coat hanger and Datsyuk not long before he returns to Russia, Kopitar could be a huge boost. That is assuming he is even interested in a team on the decline compared to other teams which will also be vying for his services should he make it to free agency.

red wings were his favorite team as a kid... it's not much but better than nothing.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Stephen Whyno ‏@SWhyno 10m10 minutes ago
#tblightning goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after vascular surgery to remove a blood clot.

theScore ‏@theScore 58m58 minutes ago
Jonas Gustavsson will reportedly attend Bruins camp on a tryout. http://thesco.re/1Xqjyv7

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What is up with Stammer's hair?

It's all his fault. (Macklemore)

Macklemore.png

When I go to a bar, it's about 70-75% of the dudes in there.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Franson for 3.3 million. Wish we had him over Quincey and/or Ericsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad