Around the NHL 2014-15, Part III: Offseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
There was a time under Gillis where Canucks felt like one of the better run organizations, one that could contend for the next 7-8 years. Then the Schneider-Luongo debacle started and it has continued to go downhill from there.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Gillis was a pretty good GM outside of the goaltending fiasco. Benning is terrible. Pens are going to win the division next year and crap out early like they so often do.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Gillis was a pretty good GM outside of the goaltending fiasco. Benning is terrible. Pens are going to win the division next year and crap out early like they so often do.

gillis made few mistakes/had few flaws.

bad drafting.

believing that 'better direction/plan' would solve their issues (and then getting away from that plan)

and maybe that he didn't demand full autonomy in decision when he got the job (no ownership meddling).

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
most likely

but the nhl continues to drop the ball on marketing their players. zero national tv games for connor mcdavid. i know he's not american but still is one of the future faces of the league. no games for Johnny hockey either

I think the team moreso than the player drives the market in the U.S. and A. I couldn't avoid seeing Eric Lindros' **s-face when he played. Toronto seems to be the only Canadian team that has any kind of mass following in the States. If McDavid was drafted by the Rangers or Flyers we'd be having him spoon fed to us every broadcast.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
There was a time under Gillis where Canucks felt like one of the better run organizations, one that could contend for the next 7-8 years. Then the Schneider-Luongo debacle started and it has continued to go downhill from there.

Gillis really wasn't a good GM at all

He inherited a pretty good team on rise when Nonis was fired after 07-08 season

Look at the Nucks cup roster and the Key players were almost all Burke/Nonis guys

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Gillis really wasn't a good GM at all

He inherited a pretty good team on rise when Nonis was fired after 07-08 season

Look at the Nucks cup roster and the Key players were almost all Burke/Nonis guys

Burke left the team in really good shape and it's what got them an inch from almost winning a Cup. His faults in Toronto are well documented, but the guy set up two teams (Ducks and Canucks) to contend in fairly short order.

Aug 6, 2012
I miss hockey. I don't know what to do with myself this time of year. Start a new hobby, or watch random hockey highlights on youtube for 3 hours? Youtube it is.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I miss hockey. I don't know what to do with myself this time of year. Start a new hobby, or watch random hockey highlights on youtube for 3 hours? Youtube it is.

Not sure where you live, but enjoy the summer. I started golfing this summer and I am hooked.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
their downhill started after '11 SC finals game 7.

I would argue their downfall started on an ill-fated Dan Hamhuis hip check. Think they are cup champions without that and we don't care what happens next. Though Kesler's health problems didn't help, I always look at the Hamhuis hit as the tipping point in that series. I don't see anyway they lose it with him in the lineup despite the magnificence of Thomas.

With a Cup they might sell off the right parts and look at that all a little differently. That really is the closest I think I have seen a team come in my lifetime where I was like that should sting forever, because it isn't like they have something to fall back on having never won a Cup before and now they seem so far off. That was there for the taking and I really thought they were the best team in the league by a decent clip.

Aug 6, 2012
Not sure where you live, but enjoy the summer. I started golfing this summer and I am hooked.

West Michigan so definitely a ton of courses around here. Golf is fun but to be honest I don't have the patience for it.
Disc golf, on the other hand, is a blast. I play tennis in college so I'm always hitting too. Hockey though... I need my daily fix haha.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
West Michigan so definitely a ton of courses around here. Golf is fun but to be honest I don't have the patience for it.
Disc golf, on the other hand, is a blast. I play tennis in college so I'm always hitting too. Hockey though... I need my daily fix haha.

It's frustrating at first, but if you have buddies who are also starting out then it's fun to compete with each other and it makes you want to get better.

We are not too far away here. I am torn because I hate the cold weather, but I also miss hockey lol. So part of me wants summer to last forever, and then part of me just wants to watch the Wings.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

If you haven't already, check out awood40. Spent last night watching the 2009 Blackhawks series, man only 5 games but so physical.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think the team moreso than the player drives the market in the U.S. and A. I couldn't avoid seeing Eric Lindros' **s-face when he played. Toronto seems to be the only Canadian team that has any kind of mass following in the States. If McDavid was drafted by the Rangers or Flyers we'd be having him spoon fed to us every broadcast.

Idk where u live, But I only see Chicago fans and wing fans. And in the south east it's Tampa, west is LA. then U see some NY fans of course either team
. I was in a town that lived like 30 minutes away from Toronto. Saw 0 toronto fans

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Voracek at 8.25 mil a season... FOR 8 YEARS.

That's getting close to ROR bad in my opinion. He's had 1 PPG season and has never scored 30 goals. I guarantee he won't even be worth 6 mil a season in 2 years.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Burke left the team in really good shape and it's what got them an inch from almost winning a Cup. His faults in Toronto are well documented, but the guy set up two teams (Ducks and Canucks) to contend in fairly short order.

Eh. I'd say Murray did more for the Ducks, Burke just put them over the edge. Ryan, Perry, Giguere, Beauch, Getzlaf, all Murray guys. Burke just added Pronger and Nieds which put them over.(I could be collecting some of the specifics. Like I think Niedermeyer was a Burke move, right?)

And I think Gillis really did more for the Ducks, like Burke oversaw a good Canucks team with the West Coast Express, and he drafted the Sedins, but their President Trophy years were mostly due to Gillis.(who was a pretty good GM, his drafting got bad and his goalie situation spiraled out of control, but for the most part, had decent asset management.)

I've always thought Burke was overrated, with or without his Toronto years.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Voracek at 8.25 mil a season... FOR 8 YEARS.

That's getting close to ROR bad in my opinion. He's had 1 PPG season and has never scored 30 goals. I guarantee he won't even be worth 6 mil a season in 2 years.

Voracek is a way better player IMO. Though I don't love that contract necessarily.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Eh. I'd say Murray did more for the Ducks, Burke just put them over the edge. Ryan, Perry, Giguere, Beauch, Getzlaf, all Murray guys. Burke just added Pronger and Nieds which put them over.(I could be collecting some of the specifics. Like I think Niedermeyer was a Burke move, right?)

And I think Gillis really did more for the Ducks, like Burke oversaw a good Canucks team with the West Coast Express, and he drafted the Sedins, but their President Trophy years were mostly due to Gillis.(who was a pretty good GM, his drafting got bad and his goalie situation spiraled out of control, but for the most part, had decent asset management.)

I've always thought Burke was overrated, with or without his Toronto years.

niedermayer was burke move but he wanted to play with his brother (also a burke move though, adding him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad