Around the NHL 2013-2014 Part II: The Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
i guess the key to beating boston is scoring on breakaways :laugh:

amazing how the so called best goalie in the league looks like an average goalie when a team can actually get legit scoring chances

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

amazing how the so called best goalie in the league looks like an average goalie when a team can actually get legit scoring chances

It's like people forgot about 2012 when the exact same thing happened to us with Nashville.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Howard's stats Are better than both Rasks and Price's stats inround 2. So Howard>>Rask and Price

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Rick Nash is a bigger pile than Franzen, sure glad the Wings didn't end up with him.

Wanted him badly at the time too, he always played well vs Detroit.

giphy.gif

A bigger pile than Johan Franzen? I'll just ignore what you said about Franzen, as that is totally inaccurate based on a perpetuated myth that needs to die a very horrible and gruesome death.

But Rick Nash, a BIGGER pile than Franzen? Are you serious? I'll use box score stats. Nash scored 26 goals this year in the regular season. How in the world is this a pile of garbage? It isn't. I like guys that score 26 goals. Teams like having guys that score 26 goals. But what I really love Rick Nash for is that he led the NYR's forward squad in CorsiFor/20. Clearly, a pile would not be the biggest driver of offense on your team.
Rick Nash was also 4th on the team in terms of CorsiFor%. A big pile? Yeah. Just try and argue against what I have put forth before you. It completely refutes this notion that Rick Nash is a pile.

Oh, but I take it you are insinuating that Rick Nash is a pile because of his performance in the playoffs?

You mean, the Rick Nash who is leading the New York Ranger's forward corp in BOTH CorsiFor% and CorsFor% relative to his on ice teammates? But he has no goals, you say? Oh, how about I point you to the fact that Rick Nash has a shooting% of 0.0% off of 40 SHOTS TAKEN IN 10 GAMES. Never mind that the playoffs are all a series of small sample sizes where anything and everything could happen. Alexander Semin and his 0.0 Sh% in 7 games off of 44 shots taken will attest to this.

Rick Nash? A pile? A waste of money?

You guys, please stop. This isn't even factual. It's just flat out unfair to Rick Nash that you are hammering him because opposing goaltenders have stopped all the shots he's taken on net.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
giphy.gif

A bigger pile than Johan Franzen? I'll just ignore what you said about Franzen, as that is totally inaccurate based on a perpetuated myth that needs to die a very horrible and gruesome death.

But Rick Nash, a BIGGER pile than Franzen? Are you serious? I'll use box score stats. Nash scored 26 goals this year in the regular season. How in the world is this a pile of garbage? It isn't. I like guys that score 26 goals. Teams like having guys that score 26 goals. But what I really love Rick Nash for is that he led the NYR's forward squad in CorsiFor/20. Clearly, a pile would not be the biggest driver of offense on your team.
Rick Nash was also 4th on the team in terms of CorsiFor%. A big pile? Yeah. Just try and argue against what I have put forth before you. It completely refutes this notion that Rick Nash is a pile.

Oh, but I take it you are insinuating that Rick Nash is a pile because of his performance in the playoffs?

You mean, the Rick Nash who is leading the New York Ranger's forward corp in BOTH CorsiFor% and CorsFor% relative to his on ice teammates? But he has no goals, you say? Oh, how about I point you to the fact that Rick Nash has a shooting% of 0.0% off of 40 SHOTS TAKEN IN 10 GAMES. Never mind that the playoffs are all a series of small sample sizes where anything and everything could happen. Alexander Semin and his 0.0 Sh% in 7 games off of 44 shots taken will attest to this.

You guys, please stop. This isn't even factual. It's just flat out unfair to Rick Nash that you are hammering him because opposing goaltenders have stopped all the shots he's taken on net.

How much does he cost?

Aug 6, 2012
giphy.gif

He's not being paid nearly eight mil a year to have a good corsirelative or whatever that is. He's paid to produce and he simply isn't doing that.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

Forty shots and he hasn't buried one?

Even if he gets one on his 41st shot, that's a horrible shooting percentage unworthy of the $7.8 million dollar cap hit he carries.

Corsi is nice and all but it's not scoring goals, which, last I checked, the Rangers could use.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Franzen had 2 more points than Nash this year in 11 less games at literally half the cost

just saying

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah Nash hasn't scored a goal on his last 98 shots or something like that. I mean this is really really terrible. Which is fine, just don't call him a superstar and it sucks for the Rangers that they are paying him superstar money.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Forty shots and he hasn't buried one?

Even if he gets one on his 41st shot, that's a horrible shooting percentage unworthy of the $7.8 million dollar cap hit he carries.

Corsi is nice and all but it's not scoring goals, which, last I checked, the Rangers could use.

No, no, no. Bad logic. It's not about goals scored. Goals scored comes AFTER driving possession. Looking at goals scored solely is how chumps like David Clarkson get paid $5m per year for five years. No one looked at the underlying numbers behind David Clarkson's production, and now the Toronto Maple Leafs are saddled with Hockey's worst contract, quite possibly one they can't even get rid of.

You can't look at Sh%. Ignoring the fact Sh% can be erratic at times, a skater can't all of a sudden flip a switch and start scoring goals.

In the playoffs, we are dealing with sets of seven small sampling sizes, and anyone with a mild knowledge in statistics will tell you anything can happen in a small sampling. Judging Rick Nash because in the span of 10 games he has 0 goals on 40 shots is stupid. Downright stupid. Downright ignorant. Downright unfair.

Rick Nash has been the New York Rangers best possession forward in the playoffs. He's generating the most offense among their forwards. He hasn't been rewarded with a goal for his efforts. Again, things like this happen in small sample sizes, and you can't judge anyone on a small sampling.

When you look at goals, you aren't looking at the production of a forward. You're looking at the end product of a player's production. Goals are a random event. You can't control it. You can put yourself in situations that are favorable for a goal scored. You can't control the goaltender who makes a stupid good save on you.

What can you do? You can drive offense. You can help generate shots on goal. The more shots you generate gives you better chances at scoring goals. More shots are conducive to goal scoring.

And what is Rick Nash doing? He's the best forward on the Ranger's postseason roster at generating Corsi events.

So tell me, are you really going to argue with a straight face that Rick Nash is a pile due to events that are generally out of his control? Because that's the essence of your argument, and it's very poor reasoning.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
At the end of the day, all that matters is production. If Rick Nash doesn't score he's had another miserable post season considering he's being paid to score goals more than anything else.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Ask any Rangers fan, Jman. They'll all tell you the same thing: Nash needs to score, they aren't happy with just shots and possession. Having nice corsi numbers doesn't win you games. Having the puck find the back of the net does.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
Ask any Rangers fan, Jman. They'll all tell you the same thing: Nash needs to score, they aren't happy with just shots and possession. Having nice corsi numbers doesn't win you games. Having the puck find the back of the net does.

Confirming.

corsi isn't goals. You don't get points for good puck possession in the playoffs if it doesn't lead to goals for. If he were a third line winger, he'd be GOAT, but he's not a third line winger, he's a first line 30-40 goal scorer, and he has 2 goals in 26 postseason games.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Rick Nash has been the New York Rangers best possession forward in the playoffs. He's generating the most offense among their forwards. He hasn't been rewarded with a goal for his efforts. Again, things like this happen in small sample sizes, and you can't judge anyone on a small sampling.

He's not generating results, aka goals. He is paid to score goals. And at the end of the day, results matter in not only hockey but any career. You can't have a salesman who can't close a sale, a stockbroker who can't trade, or a cop who's incapable of firing a gun. In the same way, a guy being paid nearly $8 million dollars to score goals needs to score goals.

Possession is all fine and good, but he's not paid for pretty Corsi numbers.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
To take a quote from Grantland:
We see more fluctuations as we narrow down the sample size — a player’s on-ice shooting can change significantly from year to year, and if we break it down by months or even weeks, it starts jumping all over the map.
Whole article here.

People, Sh% fluctuates in small samples. What are the playoffs? SMALL SAMPLE SIZES. Of course something like a 0.0% Sh% on 40 shots taken is well in the realm of possibility. It's a freaking small sampling over 10 games.

There is no logic in criticizing Rick Nash. He's doing what he normally does. He's just not getting results because, SURPRISE, Sh% is incredibly volatile in SMALL SAMPLE SIZES.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
He's not generating results, aka goals. He is paid to score goals. And at the end of the day, results matter in not only hockey but any career. You can't have a salesman who can't close a sale, a stockbroker who can't trade, or a cop who's incapable of firing a gun. In the same way, a guy being paid nearly $8 million dollars to score goals needs to score goals.

Possession is all fine and good, but he's not paid for pretty Corsi numbers.

To use your "work in real life" portrait, the equivalent of your logic is essentially claiming someone doesn't deserve his paycheck and his overall performance is terrible because he had a bad day at work (IE, something that everyone will have in life).

Is that logical? No, I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad