Around the NHL 2013-2014 Part II: The Playoff Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The Hawks are just unreal. I don't know why people always rag on Quenneville... the system he has in place for Chicago is amazing.

Q hate (At least in Chicago) comes from his loyalty to Kompon (Our PP is embarrassing most nights) + His roster choices

Q will let young guys play if they can play in own end (Saad/Shaw/Smith/Kruger) or at least put in effort consistently (Leddy tries ,, Still has long way to go though). Just look at him using Nordstrom today including at key times up 1 late (Nordstrom works hard and Q seems to like him)

A lot of fans wanted Pirri as Hawks #2C and with Kane shackled to a corpse (Handzus) most of year it is understandable. But Pirri didn't put in the work on other end and Q didn't like having him in lineup then things went sour (Pirri asking for trade) and Bowman moved him because he wont be waiver exempt next year. So Pirri fans have been pissed the last 2 months and raging on Q again

Q also gets hate from fans who say he only won with stacked team and slam his Blues/Avs coaching days for losing to better teams. Frankly makes no sense because those Wing/Avalanche/Star teams of late 90's/00's were stacked and had much better goalies (fading Fuhr , Turek and Johnson as #1's wont take any team far)

Now that Q is doing to teams what Avs/Wings/Stars did to him he gets no credit

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Q hate (At least in Chicago) comes from his loyalty to Kompon (Our PP is embarrassing most nights) + His roster choices

Q will let young guys play if they can play in own end (Saad/Shaw/Smith/Kruger) or at least put in effort consistently (Leddy tries ,, Still has long way to go though). Just look at him using Nordstrom today including at key times up 1 late (Nordstrom works hard and Q seems to like him)

A lot of fans wanted Pirri as Hawks #2C and with Kane shackled to a corpse (Handzus) most of year it is understandable. But Pirri didn't put in the work on other end and Q didn't like having him in lineup then things went sour (Pirri asking for trade) and Bowman moved him because he wont be waiver exempt next year. So Pirri fans have been pissed the last 2 months and raging on Q again

Q also gets hate from fans who say he only won with stacked team and slam his Blues/Avs coaching days for losing to better teams. Frankly makes no sense because those Wing/Avalanche/Star teams of late 90's/00's were stacked and had much better goalies (fading Fuhr , Turek and Johnson as #1's wont take any team far)

Now that Q is doing to teams what Avs/Wings/Stars did to him he gets no credit

Babs has never won a Jack Adams in Detroit so that is pretty typical, even his better coaching jobs have fallen victim to this line of thinking.

Will rebut some of this though and the goalie argument is fine not that Crawford and Niemi are all that great, those St. Louis teams were very powerful. Good enough to beat much better Wings teams in terms of establishing dominance in the Central division back when it was unthinkable. MacInnis and Pronger on the back-end and lots of firepower and he couldn't get it done. A part of this comes down to he got worked in the playoffs. Honestly, it looked like Babcock did that the majority of last year too, when the Wings had no business getting beyond 5 games. Often you have seen Quenneville teams look unprepared at previous stops and lose games and to teams that they had no business losing to.

Coaching is generally pretty overrated though, it is about having the right voice in the room for the right time and Quenneville is arguably perfect for that group and we will see how long he can keep that going.

Why I don't like Quenneville is he makes some of the most inflammatory comments possible in post game interviews and from the bench. Not surprised he finally got dinged for the crotch grab, guy acts like a ********* on the bench. Like where was his calls for Seabrook to be suspended until the end of time when he committed not one but four blatant penalties on a play? Did he call it the worst thing in the history of hockey like he did the Torres hit on Hossa, did he think a marquee player should be suspended for a season like he and his owner alluded to in the Ovechkin dumps Campbell incident. It bothers me, he politics for calls and he politics for league justice in a way that is beyond normal and makes me have zero respect for him. I know probably doesn't matter to Hawks fans, but this was true of St. Louis and Colorado only now that he has won something people think his over the top *-baggery is to be respected.

If he does end up out of Chicago and I don't care if we are in the middle of the most painful rebuild and Curt Frasier is running the ship I wouldn't want him. If I was at a Wings game I would boo his introduction and boo his placement as coach. He is worthy of NHL jobs and can get you to the playoffs, but there are probably 10 guys currently in the league that would be able to get it done with the talent he has. This just in there were several guys that could have got it done with the mid-90's Wings to even if Bowman is one of the greatest coaches. That is the nature of coaching in my opinion and at this level there are many coaches that are very good, their junior track records, College track records, minor pro records state as much and I think outside of the professional ranks coaching means a hell of a lot more and people constantly overrate that element. This is the thinnest margin of error, but so much of it depends on the players with pros, especially older developed pros, they are important but I think several are good coaches. For instance I think Pete DeBour is one of the most prepared coaches I have ever seen, his teams play with detail he explains it on the benches and in interviews, he has just had **** for talent at the pro level, some of it is opportunity. End of :rant: I guess.:laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell 3 t
NHL 15 broadcast team: Doc Emrick and Eddie Olczyk, with Ray Ferraro at ice level. Love it.

Zj5J9.gif

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 47 min
Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Dineen and Ed Olczyk will be amongst ex-teammates of CAR GM Ron Francis mentioned as potential coaching candidates.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 47 min
Ulf Samuelsson, Kevin Dineen and Ed Olczyk will be amongst ex-teammates of CAR GM Ron Francis mentioned as potential coaching candidates.

Oh please hire Edzo!

Please, please, please, please, please hire Edzo!

Get him off of NBC.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Could be worse

You could have him for most of year calling your games :(

I really wish NBC would hire him fulltime

I lived in Chicago for a while and to be honest he has the homer call down. It isn't great but a lot of what Edzo does is perfectly acceptable for a homer and works well because Foley is great at leading him and knows him well. Foley will even play the straight man when Edzo goes to far, there is an understanding and when I watch a game on Comcast sports in Chicago I am okay with the way Edzo behaves. But there is very little difference when he gets on National television and I think that is a shame, he should know better and have gotten better at it with as long as he has been doing it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I lived in Chicago for a while and to be honest he has the homer call down. It isn't great but a lot of what Edzo does is perfectly acceptable for a homer and works well because Foley is great at leading him and knows him well. Foley will even play the straight man when Edzo goes to far, there is an understanding and when I watch a game on Comcast sports in Chicago I am okay with the way Edzo behaves. But there is very little difference when he gets on National television and I think that is a shame, he should know better and have gotten better at it with as long as he has been doing it.

I miss the Foley/Gardner or Foley/Tallon duo's

It was depressing when Bill Wirtz dumped Foley (Closest I came to stop being Hawks fan ,, So pissed)

Wolves reunited Gardner/Foley for there games until Bill Wirtz passed and Rocky brought back Pat

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 2 t
Per Elias, Anze Kopitar has joined Johan Franzen as the only player in last 15 years to register points in first nine playoff games.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 4 min
Predators name Peter Laviolette head coach. Assistants will be Kevin McCarthy, Lane Lambert and Phil Housley.

Impressive hire and he kept Phil Housley on the staff. This is exactly what the Preds need and quite frankly they must have done something to get him to commit as well.

Lavy plays aggressive attractive hockey and attracts offensive players, something the Preds could desperately use to help continue growing on a very solid foundation in terms of their fan-base. They look to be set in goal and on D, areas he does somewhat struggle with. But this for me is a perfect match and a great hire. I wonder if Lavy's system will attract some free agents they struggle with. But I think this is an awesome fit for both parties.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
Rick Nash is a bigger pile than Franzen, sure glad the Wings didn't end up with him.

Wanted him badly at the time too, he always played well vs Detroit.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Even when Nash takes the puck to the net it doesn't feel like he's gonna score. It looks like he's doing it because someone told him to, not because of his inner instincts.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Even when Nash takes the puck to the net it doesn't feel like he's gonna score. It looks like he's doing it because someone told him to, not because of his inner instincts.

He has always been slow.

But I think the whole NHL has become faster, and we see more and more players who struggle. Or am I wrong here.

Montreal won again and Subben ruullllllleees. Seems to me That a lot of offense comes from defence these playoffs.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
He has always been slow.

But I think the whole NHL has become faster, and we see more and more players who struggle. Or am I wrong here.

Montreal won again and Subben ruullllllleees. Seems to me That a lot of offense comes from defence these playoffs.

nash has fast legs, just not fast brains.

and he seems to be playing very tentatively. he had (at least at some point) a ridiculously low number of hits for a guy as strong and big as he. guessing it's the concussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad