Around the NHL #14 - Offseason and junk

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
Kenny Agostino will right the ship that is the St. Loius Blues by himself and become the new Paul Byron.

tumblr_nghm4ygSHN1s021dwo1_500.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Kenny Agostino will right the ship that is the St. Loius Blues by himself and become the new Paul Byron.
No, those of us that were upset with the move aren't that petty. It will be nice to see others eat crow but we are smart enough to know that we didn't extend a minor leaguer.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Man, the list of good coaches available grows. It kinda sucks that firing Gulutzan right now would be a PR disaster, because I have zero doubt that it would improve this team a ton. And that's not a knock on Gulutzan at all, it's just that Julien is an absolute top coach.

The New York Islanders should set a press conference for tomorrow.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I like what Gulutzan is doing. I don't think our biggest issues will be fixed through coaching.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I like what Gulutzan is doing. I don't think our biggest issues will be fixed through coaching.

I don't think there's anything wrong with what Gulutzan is doing. I just think there's a ton right with what Julien does.

It is 100% not worth it to make a coaching change, though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't think there's anything wrong with what Gulutzan is doing. I just think there's a ton right with what Julien does.

It is 100% not worth it to make a coaching change, though.
I think our issue is still personnel, so I'm not sure we'd be better with Julien or Hitchcock. As I have been vocal about I think our biggest issue is on the blueline and how we lack a good shutdown guy. I think our second biggest issue the mandate from management that we play a more black and blue game, I think this has led to certain players trying to be impactful physically than they normally are and it has led to more penalties; I know some will argue it can be coached out of them, but I'm not so sure since I think they are doing it out of character.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Julien certainly gets 100% out of all his players. There's no doubt about that.

I like what Gully's been doing here. He's made Gaudreau and Monahan positive CF% players. That's pretty crazy, for Johnny and Mony it's been major % jumps too.

Once Treliving gets this team a few more pieces, stabilizes the backend and solidifies the 4th line; I really think Gulutzan will shine. He's a smart guy; I have faith in him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Julien certainly gets 100% out of all his players. There's no doubt about that.

I like what Gully's been doing here. He's made Gaudreau and Monahan positive CF% players. That's pretty crazy, for Johnny and Mony it's been major % jumps too.

Once Treliving gets this team a few more pieces, stabilizes the backend and solidifies the 4th line; I really think Gulutzan will shine. He's a smart guy; I have faith in him.

This analysis frustrates me. Gaudreau and Monahan have had massive GF% drops, and the eye-test has matched that, as both of them, for most of this season, have looked much less effective than in previous years. Why does a positive change CF% trump that?

I'm trusting in Gulutzan to keep improving the way the team has played, but I really don't think there's an argument that he's made Gaudreau and Monahan into more effective players- at least not yet.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This analysis frustrates me. Gaudreau and Monahan have had massive GF% drops, and the eye-test has matched that, as both of them, for most of this season, have looked much less effective than in previous years. Why does a positive change CF% trump that?

I'm trusting in Gulutzan to keep improving the way the team has played, but I really don't think there's an argument that he's made Gaudreau and Monahan into more effective players- at least not yet.

Well, it just points to a more complete game from both players. Their GF% have both slid because both their shooting %'s have almost halved in some instances. Monahan, now that he's actually looks like an NHLer (was not the case for the start of the year) looks great. Probably the best we've seen from him in his young career on both ends of the ice. If Monahan continues the way he's been playing as of late, he will end up with his best numbers of his career and also the best possession numbers in his career. Not sure why/how we should be sensitive about that.

Gaudreau of course will suffer because he's not going to be able to cherry pick and just look to counter at every moment. We've seen some brilliance from him too at times. Gaudreau is shooting almost 5% below his career average; that 5% easily makes up the difference between this year and last year totals. So no, he hasn't looked as good because the system we play doesn't make him look as good, but he's becoming a more effective overall player.

The numbers will both pick up. That's the good part about having good possession numbers, the numbers will eventually add up and these guys will produce where they belong.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Another case where Corsi proves to be complete and utter ********.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well, it just points to a more complete game from both players. Their GF% have both slid because both their shooting %'s have almost halved in some instances. Monahan, now that he's actually looks like an NHLer (was not the case for the start of the year) looks great. Probably the best we've seen from him in his young career on both ends of the ice. If Monahan continues the way he's been playing as of late, he will end up with his best numbers of his career and also the best possession numbers in his career. Not sure why/how we should be sensitive about that.

I would agree with Monahan about that. I think he's been great lately, but his play of late is far from representing his season so far. Let's see if he can keep it up for more than two weeks.

Gaudreau of course will suffer because he's not going to be able to cherry pick and just look to counter at every moment. We've seen some brilliance from him too at times. Gaudreau is shooting almost 5% below his career average; that 5% easily makes up the difference between this year and last year totals. So no, he hasn't looked as good because the system we play doesn't make him look as good, but he's becoming a more effective overall player.

The 5% coincides with the fact that he isn't having/generating as many high quality scoring chances. It's not surprising. Shooting percentage really only speaks to luck if you're talking about the percentage you're talking about the same types of shots, but I don't think the eyetest backs that up.

My point in bringing up GF% is that the way they were playing clearly was more effective than prior. It's entirely possible that they will never be as effective unless Gulutzan takes the reins off a little bit.

The numbers will both pick up. That's the good part about having good possession numbers, the numbers will eventually add up and these guys will produce where they belong.

I am less confident in that. I hope the numbers tick up, but I don't think the eye-test gives a whole lot of hope for that unless the system compromises a little, or Gaudreau shows us something he hasn't yet.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I actually don't want Julien, and I do think he's an elite coach. I don't want to see players like Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk and Janko stuck in an defensive system like that. Monahan would be a 40pt player under Julien. Bergeron is actually an elite offensive talent, but he's rarely played like one due to the system he plays in.

I like the direction Gully is going and I think by next season no one will have any complaints either.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
St.Louis destroyed Ottawa 6-0, LA lost to Tampa 5-0, NSH beat VAN 4-2, Dallas lost to Toronto 3-1, and Winnipeg lost to the Wild 4-2.
We enter the 5-day break in the 2nd WC spot, tied with STL who have 2 games in hand, 1 point up on the Kings who have 2 games in hand, 5 points up on the Jets who have played the same # of games, 6 points up on the Canucks who have 3 games in hand and 7 points up on the Stars who have 2 games in hand.
It'll be interesting to scoreboard watch for the next 5 days and see where we sit after the break is over.
Overall tonight was a good night besides St.Louis winning.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I actually don't want Julien, and I do think he's an elite coach. I don't want to see players like Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Tkachuk and Janko stuck in an defensive system like that. Monahan would be a 40pt player under Julien. Bergeron is actually an elite offensive talent, but he's rarely played like one due to the system he plays in.

I like the direction Gully is going and I think by next season no one will have any complaints either.

If Brad can find GG one more decent forward and at least one defenseman that is reliable defensively I really think GG's system could at least make this a consistent playoff team. Will it make the team a contender? I don't think so, but he's not getting fired so I'll just hope for the best.

(Also, regardless of the system, I don't know if this team will ever be a consistent contender. The core is decent but really lacks an elite piece that dominates on the scoreboard and controls the game even when they're not scoring. Tkachuk might end up being that piece but that's a little ways off. This team didn't suck hard enough or long enough (or draft well enough) to really put together a powerhouse imo.)

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I would agree with Monahan about that. I think he's been great lately, but his play of late is far from representing his season so far. Let's see if he can keep it up for more than two weeks.
Reminder Monahan had a pretty slow start last year in more ways than just scoring.

Gaudreau was a excellent possession players in the past so I don't think GG's system made him better.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Reminder Monahan had a pretty slow start last year in more ways than just scoring.

Gaudreau was a excellent possession players in the past so I don't think GG's system made him better.

The opposite. So far I think it's made him worse. Something's gotta give, though. Either there's an adjustment Gaudreau can make to work his magic within the system, or the coach has to compromise somehow. Having good Corsi while scoring less and allowing more is not a victory on any level. He's just unnoticeable on some night's, which hasn't been the case in previous years.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I really want to see the Oilers collapse and fall out of the playoffs.

The Kings, Preds and Blues are looking good. We have 7 games against those 3 teams.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gully said Monahan has been the poster boy for his team. He's been a disciple, done what's he's been asked, committed to playing a 2-way game and now he's getting rewarded. Gully said he's going to be an even better player for it longterm and TBH, everything I've seen out of Monahan makes me agree with those comments.

If it works for Monahan, it will help with everyone buying in.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Gully said Monahan has been the poster boy for his team. He's been a disciple, done what's he's been asked, committed to playing a 2-way game and now he's getting rewarded. Gully said he's going to be an even better player for it longterm and TBH, everything I've seen out of Monahan makes me agree with those comments.

If it works for Monahan, it will help with everyone buying in.

Gulutzan: Sean, you need to stop using this grocery store two-in-one conditioner and shampoo stuff. Find something with some jojoba. And don't blow dry your hair, you'll get split ends.

Monahan: You got it coach

Gulutzan: (this kid's going places...)

postmedia-calgary22.jpeg

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
The opposite. So far I think it's made him worse. Something's gotta give, though. Either there's an adjustment Gaudreau can make to work his magic within the system, or the coach has to compromise somehow. Having good Corsi while scoring less and allowing more is not a victory on any level. He's just unnoticeable on some night's, which hasn't been the case in previous years.
I was talking about Gaudreau's possession numbers.

2015-16 SVZ adjusted CF%: 48.3
2016-17 SVZ adjusted CF%: 47.8

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'm still pretty unimpressed with Gulutzan. He's responsible for 5 on 5 and we aren't very good 5 on 5.

Gerard and Cameron have done a great job with special teams. But Gulutzan needs to let our skilled players, specifically Gaudreau and Brodie, do their own thing when we get the puck. Seems like he's over coaching our best players.

He has improved the non elite skill guys by introducing a more simple/traditional system for those players. He just needs to let his thouroughbreds run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad