Speculation: Perfetti out a minimum of 8 weeks - Jets to add top 6 winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If you fold now, it will be a long time before we sniff an opportunity like this.

And why 2 top 6 players? Who are you demoting? Wheeler? I thought 1 top 6, and 1 or 2 upgrades on the third line (And 1 D upgrade)
You can’t keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. They need to address what was wrong last year, which they didn’t. Can’t and won’t win with that old leadership on the team.
Need to dump Wheeler and get 2 top 6 RHW
Need to find at least 1 top 6 C, preferably 2 so they can kick Scheifele to the curb
Need to dump Schmidt and get a top 4 RHD
Don’t need anymore bottom 6 anything… that’s all Chevy has ever gotten

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
You can’t keep doing the same thing and expecting different results. They need to address what was wrong last year, which they didn’t. Can’t and won’t win with that old leadership on the team.
Need to find at least 1 top 6 C, preferably 2 so they can kick Scheifele to the curb
That’s a pretty steep shopping list

Reactions: Guffman

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Sooo… we’re talking about TDL deals not an offseason revamp, right?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
If you fold now, it will be a long time before we sniff an opportunity like this.

And why 2 top 6 players? Who are you demoting? Wheeler? I thought 1 top 6, and 1 or 2 upgrades on the third line (And 1 D upgrade)

We were shopping for one top 6 forward before Coles injury, he’s gone for two months now and the Jets have been 6-8 over the last 14 games and falling. Not looking good.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Doubt it based on the asking price and Sharks GM saying no contract talks before any trade..........pretty much ends all Jets/Timo chat, likely removed all their cards from the table.
The NHL admitted they can't stop tampering when they added the "negotiation period" to free agency. A GM not "allowing" other team's to talk to an agent about a player means very little.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Have to be conservative in a market like Winnipeg. Free agency is a dead end. A lot of players try to get out before their 7 year sentence expires.

He already traded draft picks to improve the defense. A draft and develop team without draft picks is in a lot of trouble. And the Jets have no 2nd ,4th and 6th already in the upcoming draft. Had the Jets been even remotely good enough for the playoffs last year, they would have kept Copp to the end, and they wouldn't have two of their best prospects in the system right now, and fans would be even more miserable.

Term players are investments Chevy can afford to make trades on.

Rentals for a team that has been in neutral since December is extremely high risk. All it takes is for another star player (Dubois) to shit the bed in 1st round like Trouba did for us in 2019, and there goes the team, and the assets...
Not doing anything just shows the players the Jets don't want to win ever. There is far more to be lost doing nothing. All those up coming expiring contracts won't be resigned. They will all walk. Then guess what, they have to rebuild anyway. You might as well show the players not to mention the fans that this team isn't satisfied in being a team in an forever rebuild.

The game is about winning. Not HF fans following their favorite prospects in the minor leagues. Give me a team who is all in on winning or all in on rebuilding not just being satisfied with competing for a wild card.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Good thing Guffman made timely posts about it a few years ago that I quote below.

Sportsnet posted the following about Hayes:

No Jet had more primary assists from the trade deadline until the end of the regular season than Hayes, and only Kyle Connor had more points at 5-on-5.

And by most measures Hayes was just as good, if not better, in Winnipeg’s first round series loss. At 5-on-5, Winnipeg controlled 56.45 per cent of the scoring chances, 52.38 per cent of the high danger chances and 54.1 per cent of all shots when he was on the ice.

The curious thing is that his ice time was cut in the post-season and he became the team’s third-line centre. Hayes played less than 12 minutes in four of the six games and less than 10 minutes in two of them — and his average ice time on the penalty kill dropped by nearly half a minute in the playoffs.

In hindsight a first round loss isn’t worth giving up a first-round pick for. But although the Jets didn’t go as far as they’d hoped Hayes provided Winnipeg with just about everything they could have hoped for when they acquired him.

He is scheduled to be a UFA on July 1.
Maurice had to play his boy Little. Typical Maurice strategy of him rather lose with his boys than win with better players.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
We were shopping for one top 6 forward before Coles injury, he’s gone for two months now and the Jets have been 6-8 over the last 14 games and falling. Not looking good.
I thought the idea was to get a top 6 player to bump down Perfetti. I still think we are looking at a single top 6 player… and some focus on scoring depth on the third line.

Getting two top 6 players doesn’t make sense to me. Like you said, it’s expensive and we really don’t need two.

Reactions: TS Quint

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Not doing anything just shows the players the Jets don't want to win ever. There is far more to be lost doing nothing. All those up coming expiring contracts won't be resigned. They will all walk. Then guess what, they have to rebuild anyway. You might as well show the players not to mention the fans that this team isn't satisfied in being a team in an forever rebuild.

The game is about winning. Not HF fans following their favorite prospects in the minor leagues. Give me a team who is all in on winning or all in on rebuilding not just being satisfied with competing for a wild card.
Chevy will do something. Any time the team has been close he has made moves. I mean even after giving up two firsts in consecutive years, he went out and got De Melo and Eakin when he though the team was close enough. The Covid year he kind of just sailed through, but that was different conditions. Even last year he went out and got Appleton and Sanford with draft picks after giving up Copp.

I expect some kind of move. But this team is not a big market team, and they shouldn't operate like one if they want to stay in contention. If Chevy doesn't pull the big move for a potential star player I won't be disappointed. There is star power here, more star power than Minnesota has, more star power than a lot of teams have. I don't think it's the greatest idea to trade a 1st that could very well be an 18-22 pick, unless you get term on that deal. Chevy can't afford to waste assets when it took a lot of assets to get to this point. I don't know what the market will look like when the big names go off the board. I expect a few moves, but nothing earth shattering. The answer is going to have to come from within the leadership group of the locker room that the team invested in...It should be up to the players here to decide their fate this season. If they don't have the will to win, nobody else from the outside is going to push them to their goal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad