Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I really, but really don't understand the 2010s interest in bright orange uniforms. Nobody wears them well. The Flyers looked A LOT better in their more reddish-orange unis in the 80s and 90s, the Oilers looked A LOT better in blue with orange trim, the Ducks just look like a bad knockoff of the above.

Someone at Adidas needs to bring an actual squirt bottle to their boardroom for those moments when the intern pitches another orange uniform. "NO... BAD... *squirt* *squirt*"

I chalk it up to sports fan uniform hipsterdom wanting to make it like the '70s and '80s never ended. It's the same people who insist "Brass Bonanza" was the greatest goal song of ALL TIME. All the powder blue that was going on in the NFL a few years ago was bad enough. IMO the Oilers and Isles both went to inferior looks in the name of appeasing hipster fans. I actually miss the Oiler's navy and copper look they had in the early '00s - I thought it was a solid look and was just different enough from, say, the Islanders, that it made things unique. Similarly I'm probably the only person on the planet who preferred Pittsburgh's Vegas Gold to the more yellow gold look they used to have and went back to.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I really never thought his value was ever really down. I don't have any insight, but my guess is that GM's weren't going to over-react to 1 blip of a season and ignore many other full seasons. They may try say the value is lower as part of negotiations, but if they thought he was a 40 point guy, they wouldn't try to trade for him in the 1st place.

Fans on HF do that in droves though, (as we saw with Skinner a couple of years ago).

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Wasn't Nash one of Francis "projects" when he was starting out under JR? I seem to recall he wanted Nash pretty bad and JR ended up making that trade (involving a 4th rounder?) for him.

That's what I seem to remember, as well. Except it was a 2nd rounder. Same draft we also traded a second for Sanguinetti.

Pretty sure Noah Babin was also one of his guys.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember having high hopes for Bobby "One pick before Claude Giroux" Sanguinetti when I first saw him in Charlotte. Kid had a booming shot and played the boards very well. Then he got to the NHL, and it was like he never left the AHL.

Despite that, the 2010-11 Checkers still remain one of my favorite teams ever. It sucks that none of them panned out for us.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's what I seem to remember, as well. Except it was a 2nd rounder. Same draft we also traded a second for Sanguinetti.

Yep, and for years the Oilers fans kept saying "Thank you for Marincin!" who they drafted with that pick. Similar to how Rangers fans used to say "thanks for Grachev" when we traded to them for Cullen.

By the way, the players drafted in the trade for Sanguinetti: Tyler Wotherspoon (2nd) and Jesper Fast. Not that we would have picked him had we retained the pick, but TB picked Kucherov with the pick after Wotherspoon. Kind of Calgary's version of our Boychuk picked before Karlsson.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I thought the Devils would suck this year. Was hoping for it too since we share a division with them. So far I'm wrong.

Though I wouldn't mind a couple more playoff series against the Devils again. I want a real good reason to hate the Devils again, it was so much fun back then.

Anyone that attended the Devils vs Canes playoff games, do you remember during the pre game they'd play that rock song "Toooo hellll with the Devilssss". It got me pumped. Damn I miss those days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad