Around the League Part 8: Welcome to the league Vegas, and Duchene discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He barely played for us, and it didn't at the time seem enough to rate him in any way. Peters saw him in practice obviously, which we don't.

I remembered being a little floored. We needed help and he could score. They've said he worked very hard on his skating this off season so I'm sure that's why we cut him loose. Still it'll be curious to see if he makes their team as a top 9 and scores a decent amount. If he scores big, I'd be a little annoyed. It didn't feel like he got enough of a chance last year. To me anyway. I'm sure others will disagree here.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
He barely played for us, and it didn't at the time seem enough to rate him in any way. Peters saw him in practice obviously, which we don't.

I remembered being a little floored. We needed help and he could score. They've said he worked very hard on his skating this off season so I'm sure that's why we cut him loose. Still it'll be curious to see if he makes their team as a top 9 and scores a decent amount. If he scores big, I'd be a little annoyed. It didn't feel like he got enough of a chance last year. To me anyway. I'm sure others will disagree here.

My thoughts exactly. Pretty certain he got two games with maybe 10 minutes each night in a checking role maybe? I think I recall he took a few shifts with Skinner, but that didn't last a whole game. We'll find out this season if we let a good one slip away.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
My thoughts exactly. Pretty certain he got two games with maybe 10 minutes each night in a checking role maybe? I think I recall he took a few shifts with Skinner, but that didn't last a whole game. We'll find out this season if we let a good one slip away.
I am not sure one season is enough. He needs to be decent over at least 2-3 season to be sad about losing him IMO

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
I am not sure one season is enough. He needs to be decent over at least 2-3 season to be sad about losing him IMO

I mean he's currently on pace for 61 goals and 82 points this season. Like that's totally sustainable. It's only going to take me a half a season to be sad, not 2-3 seasons.

Matter of fact I'm already sad. We lost a player with a remarkable last name. That's a big loss.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
IIRC, His skating isn't / wasn't very strong. That's not a good combination with how Peters has them playing. Sometimes it's just a case of a square peg in a round hole and not that the guy isn't a serviceable NHLr.

I always hear comments on how so and so's skating wasn't very strong. But then at the same time we've got a guy like Rask on our team. And have drafted guys like Roy & Geekie quite recently who have some good pedigrees, but no so good skating. If Frk continues his strong play, this might be a case of "we didn't look at this guy long enough" or "we didn't give this guy a big enough opportunity to succeed".

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I always hear comments on how so and so's skating wasn't very strong. But then at the same time we've got a guy like Rask on our team. And have drafted guys like Roy & Geekie quite recently who have some good pedigrees, but no so good skating.

Rask improved his skating tremendously and even though he's not fleet of foot, he's able to use his body to shield the puck and be effective. Roy and Geekie were later round picks and will have to improve their skating to have a chance at making the NHL so I'm not sure how these guys are relevant to Frk, who is 24 and still had (at least last year) poor skating.

If Frk continues his strong play, this might be a case of "we didn't look at this guy long enough" or "we didn't give this guy a big enough opportunity to succeed".

Maybe, but he was waived by Detroit who was worse than us last year and when we waived him, not claimed by anyone but Detroit. I don't see him beating out Williams, Lindholm, or even Stempniak (if healthy) if he remained on the Canes this year so we would have had to waive him again. There are gobs of guys like him who get waived and a few of them end up being decent players. Not going to wring my hands over missing out on Frk when there is no guarantee he'd be successful here in Carolina if we kept him.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It's been mentioned in articles I've read that the difference with Frk this year is he worked really hard on his skating and mobility. I'm sure that's helping this year where it hurt him last year with us.

Scorers are scorers though and we generally don't have enough and definitely didn't last year. It's worth an eye roll and a sigh if he has a good year, and not any major hand wringing unless he turns into 30 goal scorer or something crazy.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It's been mentioned in articles I've read that the difference with Frk this year is he worked really hard on his skating and mobility. I'm sure that's helping this year where it hurt him last year with us.

Scorers are scorers though and we generally don't have enough and definitely didn't last year. It's worth an eye roll and a sigh if he has a good year, and not any major hand wringing unless he turns into 30 goal scorer or something crazy.

Why is Frk a "scorer" though? He reportedly has a good shot, but he had 22, 16 and 35 (his last year) goals in junior. His 1st AHL year he had 3 goals in 50 games. His 2nd AHL year he had 6 goals in 32 games. His 3rd and 4th years he had 27 goals in about 65 games which is decent, but is kind of like a Chris Terry type career.

I'd have been fine if we kept him and gave him more of a chance, but not overly upset either way.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Well 27 goals in 65 games is a little better than decent isn't it? That's the kind of production that gets you up. Red wings fans were pissed he wasn't get more of a look, and a lot of them screamed bloody murder when we claimed him. He had started showing strong signs of being legit.

I don't disagree about the waiver thing. It's the reason we let him go I'm sure. We took a change on a guy peters likely knew, it didn't pay off immediately and because of the waivers stuff he was let go. Still a little stingy if he turns out to be a consistent scorer. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling that way.

I'm getting in touch with my feelings man. Stop trampling on them.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Well 27 goals in 65 games is a little better than decent isn't it? That's the kind of production that gets you up. Red wings fans were pissed he wasn't get more of a look, and a lot of them screamed bloody murder when we claimed him. He had started showing strong signs of being legit.

Yeah, but he was 22-23 at the time. At 21 years old, Chris Terry had 34 goals in the AHL.

I don't disagree about the waiver thing. It's the reason we let him go I'm sure. We took a change on a guy peters likely knew, it didn't pay off immediately and because of the waivers stuff he was let go. Still a little stingy if he turns out to be a consistent scorer. I don't think there's anything wrong with feeling that way.

I'm getting in touch with my feelings man. Stop trampling on them.

Yah, I get that. Maybe I'm just being too pragmatic (not need to weigh in Rodthebod). Sometimes a guy just needs the right situation, as you've said before, square peg in a round hole. Grabner is a classic example. Waived by Vancouver, then challenged for ROTY in NYI, then flamed out in NY and went to Toronto, where he also flamed out then had a resurgence with the Rangers. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a fit. Would have FRK fit here? I don't think so, but who knows for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->