Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Dang. That sucks.

EDIT: 6.5 years later, this is an absolute bonkers top 5

Man, even admittedly being sour on Patrick heading into that draft due to his injury history this hurts to see. Unfortunately I can also very much relate to his reasoning for retiring.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

Tkachuk is seen as the what if, but Eichel hurts more, imo. If you were to craft the missing piece in this era, it’s arguably him. Elite skill. A right hand shot that would take full possession of the half wall opposite Aho. Not as big of a deal in my mind as others, but a center that would have created a dynamic 1-2 punch down the middle.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I think Tkachuk is brought up because it was literally between us and St. Louis until the final minute, and we were apparently the favorites. And then Florida came out of apparently nowhere with an over-the-top offer compared to what we and St. Louis were offering.

I don't think Eichel was ever close to anything but an inquiry.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I think Tkachuk is brought up because it was literally between us and St. Louis until the final minute, and we were apparently the favorites. And then Florida came out of apparently nowhere with an over-the-top offer compared to what we and St. Louis were offering.

Without us including Necas, Buffalo was never that interested

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

Yep. I know we were the late favorites on that one and know the package was built around Necas and futures (no idea what, probably Nikishin included but eff it) then Florida came in out of nowhere and offered up Huberdeau after a literal record setting year, and that was that.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020

You sure about that Auston :sarcasm:

Ayres game has been wiped from Leafs and their fans' memories MIB style

1703263227636.png

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

Curious if anyone can give any highlights to this article, which sounds interesting. Also I wonder if he talks about the increasing use of three tenders around the league, and how the Canes were roundly LOLed at when they went with the Andersen-Rantaa-Kooch trio to start one season.

Reactions: Stickpucker

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

Curious if anyone can give any highlights to this article, which sounds interesting. Also I wonder if he talks about the increasing use of three tenders around the league, and how the Canes were roundly LOLed at when they went with the Andersen-Rantaa-Kooch trio to start one season.

The article was contradictory. They write about the increase of tandems but say the numbers don’t suggest that is any correlation between using tandems and winning.

Its a copycat league and vegas won the cup with a 3 goalie tandem.

Hellebuyck didn’t get moved because his trade market was cold

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The article was contradictory. They write about the increase of tandems but say the numbers don’t suggest that is any correlation between using tandems and winning.

Its a copycat league and vegas won the cup with a 3 goalie tandem.

Hellebuyck didn’t get moved because his trade market was cold

Hey, I mean, no correlation would still be a significant finding.

It means you don’t have to go out and sell the farm for Hellebuyck when you’ve got a perfectly good Logan Thompson and Adin Hill at home.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This Wings/Flyers game is getting silly. Flyers come back from 5-1 down to go ahead 6-5 and then immediately give up the tying goal 6-6. Sadly, they'll probably end up in OT even though there's a few left in regulation.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This Wings/Flyers game is getting silly. Flyers come back from 5-1 down to go ahead 6-5 and then immediately give up the tying goal 6-6. Sadly, they'll probably end up in OT even though there's a few left in regulation.
A shame the game was decided by a skills competition after all of that. Or is it? Might be fitting in a game of pond hockey like this.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

I was hoping they'd come away pointless after being down 5-1, but can't trust anyone else to do their job out there, I guess.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
A shame the game was decided by a skills competition after all of that. Or is it? Might be fitting in a game of pond hockey like this.
I like shootouts more than ties but I'm with the folks that would like 10 minutes of 3 on 3. Especially in a game like this that was already pond hockey as you say but then also had a pretty fun OT going.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
But tge flip side is you would have 10 minutes of Caps OT

I'm of the opinion that we should remove the extra points unless it's decided in OT.

1. Give each team a point for reaching OT
2. 5-10 minutes OT with the additional point on the line.
3. If no one scores in that OT, no additional points are awarded.
4. A shootout decides the game winner, and shootout wins are treated as one of the tiebreakers are the end of the year.

Solves almost everything. Teams will be more incentivized to end the game in regulation/OT, the game still ends with a winner and not a tie, and the shootout is put in a less important role than it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad