Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Wow…did we dodge a bullet here?
1702936182936.png

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I feel like there were a handful of articles before the deadline last year that speculated that Meier wouldn't do better in most situations because the Sharks were force feeding him the puck to an extent most better teams wouldn't be able to. I'm sure he'll turn it around to some extent, just probably not consistently to that level he was showing last year.

Of course, some of us didn't freak out when we missed out on him and thought giving up certain of our young players for him would not be smart.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I thought this might be an option.

If we can get the local broadcast with Amazon Prime that would be fantastic.

It’s clear consolidation is the name of the game these days. NBC/Comcast got out of the NHL. ESPN and Turner have their shares. Either Apple or Amazon make sense.

More so I think his style of play does not fit the Devils at all. He is tailor made for Rod Brind Amour hockey however.
Agreed. I don’t think Meier would have the same offensive numbers as San Jose, but he’d be a major upgrade to the top 6 and capable of playing the forecheck game.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I have no sore feelings about the non trade for Meier, I don’t believe that Grier used us in any way other than the standard bidding war. He liked the other trade better and went with it imo. Us being butt hurt about it says more about us than them, it helps the image to seem frustrated you couldn’t get a deal done. I don’t know that I would’ve put Nikishin in the deal but if that was the crux of it then so be it. We wanted to keep Nikishin and they insisted he be in it. So be it. If you thought Meier was the missing piece then it would probably be worth it. That of course is debatable.

I think he’d be doing better here than there, but I bet his numbers would still be down. We’re not an offensive minded team. I don’t think one guy would change that unless it’s center that creates offense on a similar level to Aho or better.

I think he’s just adjusting to his new team a la Orlov. He carried the puck more than a standard modern power forward would in SJ. In NJ he’s got multiple players that would carry that mail more than he would or should, he has to play more of a supportive finisher role and it’s probably taking time to figure out where to be. As well as the differences between playing with Hughes vs Hischier. I don’t know if he’s been bounced down to the third but maybe if he could drive play more on that line it would work better.

I always thought he was a second liner.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Not to mention that judging someone after 22 games on a new team that is struggling is probably short sighted. As we've seen, some guys take time to adjust to our own systems and struggle out of the gate, but then really come on. Some hit the ground running.

Skinner went from a 40 goal scorer to a barely replacement level guy once Krueger took over. Now he's coming off a career high 35G, 82P season.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Meier was always significantly overrated here, I wasn’t happy we were going after him and am happy the Devils overpaid for him (both assets and subsequent contract). He’s a replaceable 2nd line forward in my eyes.

Reactions: DaveG

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Lot of people on here got a Meier boner and are Necas haters.

Meier for Necas. Who says no (other than the salary cap)

Meier would arguably fit better in our system than Necas would. However, Meier's poor performance thus far could be attributed to an injury, and there's no telling how long that might affect him. If this is the new "standard" for Meier and not just a mismatched system, that contract is a major albatross and one we can't risk taking.

So we should save a Necas trade as a piece for a #1 goalie.

Reactions: DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
How about after 54 games?

22-23 Reg Season (21 games): 9G, 4A
22-23 Playoffs (11 games): 2G, 2A
23-24 Reg Season (22 games): 5G, 6A
Total (54 games): 16G, 12A

Sure, the more games the better, but I also not going to disregard the prior 5 seasons in SJ where he played 336 games and averaged 32G/67P per 82 games. Or even the prior 2 in SJ where he played 134 games and averaged 40G/78P per 82 games.

It could be he's a bad fit in NJ and may never work there. It could mean he's a bad fit with Ruff and won't do well under him. Or it could be he's going to take some time to adjust.

Time will tell. It also doesn't mean he wouldn't have worked out here.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Meier would arguably fit better in our system than Necas would. However, Meier's poor performance thus far could be attributed to an injury, and there's no telling how long that might affect him. If this is the new "standard" for Meier and not just a mismatched system, that contract is a major albatross and one we can't risk taking.

So we should save a Necas trade as a piece for a #1 goalie.
"So we should save a Necas trade as a piece for a #1 goalie."

I don't necessarily disagree and I certainly get frustrated with his bone headed plays but....he has speed and skill that is tops on the team and thus put me in the camp that would still want to retain him.

It's up to the staff to find a way to make him more productive but yet not a severe defensive liability (I wish RBA would give freedom to the top 2 lines and just restrict the bottom 2 lines to dump and chase orientation).

btw: I would trade other assets for a #1 keeper.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
"So we should save a Necas trade as a piece for a #1 goalie."

I don't necessarily disagree and I certainly get frustrated with his bone headed plays but....he has speed and skill that is tops on the team and thus put me in the camp that would still want to retain him.

It's up to the staff to find a way to make him more productive but yet not a severe defensive liability (I wish RBA would give freedom to the top 2 lines and just restrict the bottom 2 lines to dump and chase orientation).

btw: I would trade other assets for a #1 keeper.
Not advocating for trading Necas specifically but I’d have to assume trading for a #1 goalie would hurt asset wise. There really aren’t many assets the Canes have that other teams would want aside from Jarvis (Rod would explode), the Russian Pronger, and to a lesser extent Morrow.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Have there been many goalie trades where a significant asset like Necas or Jarvis was included in the deal? I know NJ traded I think 9th OA pick (which became Horvat) for Schneider, but a pick is still a roll of the dice. I'm trying to remember other such trades in the recent past. I know the Leafs traded a late 1st round pick (became Sam Steel) and 2nd round pick (became Max Comtois) for Andersen. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Have there been many goalie trade where a significant asset like Necas or Jarvis was included in the deal? I know NJ traded I think 9th OA pick (which became Horvat) for Schneider, but a pick is still a roll of the dice. I'm trying to remember other such trades in the recent past. I know the Leafs traded a late 1st round pick (became Sam Steel) and 2nd round pick (became Max Comtois) for Andersen. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Yeah, I think it's incredibly unlikely, bordering on crazy to think a Necas for goalie trade would happen. The only goalies that you might be able to argue it'd be worth trading him for aren't likely to be moved. And to your point, the ones that have been on the cusp of being #1 goalies that have been traded just don't end up costing good established players typically.

Draft picks or prospects for a goalie, if they even make a move, seem the most likely. But it also wouldn't be remotely shocking to see them stand pat outside of fringe moves and hope Raanta finds it for the rest of this year, Pyotr continues to develop, and Freddie can come back.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Have there been many goalie trades where a significant asset like Necas or Jarvis was included in the deal? I know NJ traded I think 9th OA pick (which became Horvat) for Schneider, but a pick is still a roll of the dice. I'm trying to remember other such trades in the recent past. I know the Leafs traded a late 1st round pick (became Sam Steel) and 2nd round pick (became Max Comtois) for Andersen. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Here is an Athletic article from jan of LY showcasing mid-season goalie trades (to your point, not much)....this is viewable via archive.net:

Plus, an article titled: "Six famous Goalie trades": 6 Famous Goalie Trades in the NHL – The Draft Analyst

Reactions: Stickpucker

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

I thought this might be an option.

Please 🙏

Trading Necas for a goalie would increase the new goalies sv% though.

Reactions: Identity404
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad