Around The League 40: As we barrel towards 40 teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm of the opinion that we should remove the extra points unless it's decided in OT.

1. Give each team a point for reaching OT
2. 5-10 minutes OT with the additional point on the line.
3. If no one scores in that OT, no additional points are awarded.
4. A shootout decides the game winner, and shootout wins are treated as one of the tiebreakers are the end of the year.

Solves almost everything. Teams will be more incentivized to end the game in regulation/OT, the game still ends with a winner and not a tie, and the shootout is put in a less important role than it is now.
Ehh I'd just establish a 'shot clock' of sorts in OT that ends up in a whistle if a team doesn't move the puck out of their own zone after 10 seconds or so or blows a play dead if a possessing team willingly pulls the puck from the neutral zone to the defensive or from the offensive zone to neutral. First infraction is a play blown dead, second infraction is an automatic faceoff in your defensive zone, third infraction is a DoG penalty.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'm of the opinion that we should remove the extra points unless it's decided in OT.

1. Give each team a point for reaching OT
2. 5-10 minutes OT with the additional point on the line.
3. If no one scores in that OT, no additional points are awarded.
4. A shootout decides the game winner, and shootout wins are treated as one of the tiebreakers are the end of the year.

Solves almost everything. Teams will be more incentivized to end the game in regulation/OT, the game still ends with a winner and not a tie, and the shootout is put in a less important role than it is now.
I’d sooner get rid of shootouts and just go indefinite sudden death OT with some type of over and back rule in place. My preference is just ties at end of 60 but I know the league won’t do that.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’d sooner get rid of shootouts and just go indefinite sudden death OT with some type of over and back rule in place. My preference is just ties at end of 60 but I know the league won’t do that.

Indefinite anything in the regular season won't happen because of television.

I'd prefer ties at the end of 10-min 3-on-3. At that point, I'd say the teams were evenly matched on that particular night and just let both walk away with a point. If there are complaints, complain about the team not ending the game in the 70 allotted minutes.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Indefinite anything in the regular season won't happen because of television.

I'd prefer ties at the end of 10-min 3-on-3. At that point, I'd say the teams were evenly matched on that particular night and just let both walk away with a point. If there are complaints, complain about the team not ending the game in the 70 allotted minutes.

Funny how that doesn’t stop the NBA or MLB.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I imagine the NHLPA also plays a part in that decision, as playing infinite OT means an increased chance of injury, especially in a more physical sport than basketball or baseball

Also increases goal totals. It’s the least physical part of any game. The amount of games that go past 20 min would be similar to the amount of 18 inning games in the MLB season. They’d be instant classics. I’ve never heard a convincing reason not to.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Two lax goals in one night? Man, sometimes I miss old time hockey like Eddie Shore but the talent level in the NHL is unreal right now. Matthews might literally have a chance even if it's Lloyd Christmas style to score 50 in 50 as well. Granted, he might only play 50 games total this season but still.

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Watching USA-CAN WJC U20 Preseason game

So far USA 5 - Refs 3 + CAN 1 (kicked goal, offsides goal, bullshit penalty goal)

EDIT: Refs 4 on blatant GI...this is like watching Canes vs PIT + Refs

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville

Nice graphic...where'd the time go?

Way to go Mo! I know there's a little bit of angst for him after his second stint but he was a pretty great Cane and spent a lot of time on the Chopper Harrison then Chopper and Jimmy show and in all honesty him and the player being on the show a lot are why I'm a Huge Caniac

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
IMG_3354.jpeg

Fun times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad