Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's the Forward aging curve in terms of shot generation and scoring chances, with the years SJS would be buying at $7M a piece highlighted in a cautionary orange:

upload_2018-5-23_14-14-22.png

Reactions: Turin

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Hi, blues fan here, I've been going around the different team forums trying to get kind of overall reports on different player's styles of play, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out by kind of giving me scouting reports on Myers, Scheifele, Connor, and Armia. I'm asking because I'm trying to learn more than just the names around the league, I want to learn how they actually play. Thanks!

Myers: 28-year-old right-shooting defenseman. Tall! Long stick! Not great in his own zone. Passes into teammates' feet a lot. Prone to a bit of panic in his own end. Good skating with the puck. Pretty good in the offensive zone. Can dangle and shoot and hold the line. Borderline 2nd pair. Good on the 3rd pairing.

Scheifele: 25-year-old right-shooting center. An elite C in the league. Big, but not terribly well-balanced. Fast. Good along the boards. Great playmaker. Very high hockey IQ. Great shooter. Kills penalties for some reason. Not bad defensively but not what you'd call a 2-way C right now. Student of the game - a future Yzerman.

Connor: 21 year old left-shooting winger. Fast and skilled, like a more north-south Ehlers. Good shot, and hands around the net. Smart. A little lost in his own zone. Benefited from playing with Wheeler and Scheifele all year but fit in well with them. Solid Top 6 winger at 21...sky's the limit.

Armia: 24-year-old right-shooting winger. Thinks defense-first in his role on the Jets, anyway. His line's job is to wear down the other team and not get scored on (checking line). Good on the cycle and along the boards. Good defensively. Strong on the backcheck. A bit snakebitten around the net. Sometimes disappears for a stretch - just does nothing noticeable for a few games, then he's suddenly back doing good things all over the ice. Top 9 checking winger with some offensive upside maybe.

TheChamber91

Dec 27, 2017
Myers: 28-year-old right-shooting defenseman. Tall! Long stick! Not great in his own zone. Passes into teammates' feet a lot. Prone to a bit of panic in his own end. Good skating with the puck. Pretty good in the offensive zone. Can dangle and shoot and hold the line. Borderline 2nd pair. Good on the 3rd pairing.

Scheifele: 25-year-old right-shooting center. An elite C in the league. Big, but not terribly well-balanced. Fast. Good along the boards. Great playmaker. Very high hockey IQ. Great shooter. Kills penalties for some reason. Not bad defensively but not what you'd call a 2-way C right now. Student of the game - a future Yzerman.

Connor: 21 year old left-shooting winger. Fast and skilled, like a more north-south Ehlers. Good shot, and hands around the net. Smart. A little lost in his own zone. Benefited from playing with Wheeler and Scheifele all year but fit in well with them. Solid Top 6 winger at 21...sky's the limit.

Armia: 24-year-old right-shooting winger. Thinks defense-first in his role on the Jets, anyway. His line's job is to wear down the other team and not get scored on (checking line). Good on the cycle and along the boards. Good defensively. Strong on the backcheck. A bit snakebitten around the net. Sometimes disappears for a stretch - just does nothing noticeable for a few games, then he's suddenly back doing good things all over the ice. Top 9 checking winger with some offensive upside maybe.
Thanks! Could someone do one for Ehlers too (I forgot to include him).

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Thanks! Could someone do one for Ehlers too (I forgot to include him).
He's like a European Kyle Connor! ;)

22-year-old left shooting winger. Amazing skater and stickhandler. Often rushes the puck end-to-end and skates circles around the offensive zone. Still waiting for him to produce more from those forays - he sometimes runs out of options on those plays and just takes a low-threat shot. But he's elite at zone entries (Top 10 in the league?). Probably just an average shot overall? We get spoiled watching Laine and Scheifele shoot so maybe that's a bit of a harsh assessment of his shot. Always thinking offense. A little lackadaisical in his own zone. Very good Top 6 winger.

Reactions: Romang67

None

Feb 22, 2012
Watching the ECF and it's surprising how little obstruction there is. It makes me a little disappointed in how round 1 against Minnesota and round 2 against Nashville went as far as how much the clutching was getting ignored.

The first penalty against Tampa wouldn't have been called in any of the games the Jets played.

Edit: I said that earlier, but now that Washington has a 2-0 lead they're playing pretty much the same way Nashville did whenever they had a lead.

And Tampa's playing exhausted and stupid like the Jets were against Vegas. Goal 3 was a terrible line change.

It's not a great narrative, but it's looking like all 3 Vezina finalists are going to be eliminated without reaching the Cup final. There was talk that Vasilevskiy was getting shaky towards January, I've heard that most fans were blaming Cooper for overplaying him.

Of the 3 finalists Rinne played the fewest games with 59, Vasilevskiy second most with 65, and finally Helle with 67. The 2 goalies that are going to the finals (assuming Washington doesn't choke in the 3rd period) have played 54 (Holtby) and 46 (MAF). I wonder if Hellebuyck could've stolen a few more games in the playoffs if he had 10 fewer games played in the regular season.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well unless I give the Caps the kiss of death they will be facing Vegas. I think that sets up a more interesting story line in that you either have Ovi finally winning his first cup or you have the upstarts from Vegas giving the atomic wedgie to most of the GM's in the league.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Well unless I give the Caps the kiss of death they will be facing Vegas. I think that sets up a more interesting story line in that you either have Ovi finally winning his first cup or you have the upstarts from Vegas giving the atomic wedgie to most of the GM's in the league.
Mcphee vs his old club

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I'm rooting for Ovi here. The extra rest may be harder on Vegas. Caps will be rested but Vegas will be beyond rested.

I get a feeling Vegas won't repeat their suckage from game 1 vs. Jets. They're at home too so Ovi will feel like he's at a pool party. That will put one of Cinderella's toes in the glass slipper. Since she lost one in a rat-eradication accident, that'll only leave three to go.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Playoff PDO chart after three rounds

MatchupWinning team PDOLosing team PDO
PIT vs PHI106.793.3
WSH vs CBJ99.4100.6
BOS vs TOR100.699.4
TB vs NJ102.397.7
NSH vs COL101.498.6
WPG vs MIN102.197.9
VGK vs LAK104.795.3
SJ vs ANA109.490.6
--------------- Round 2--------------------
WSH vs PIT103.496.6
TB vs BOS101.998.1
WPG vs NSH101.798.3
VGK vs SJ103.996.1
--------------- Round 3--------------------
WSH vs TBL102.997.1
VGK vs WPG105.594.5
Total matchupsPDO win recordObvious?
1413-1Kind of
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The highest PDO for a regular season team this year was 102.0.

Just guess which team is the only one to have eclipsed that number in every round?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
WSH has eclipsed the season average PDO for the last couple of rounds, finishing 2nd to Vegas' 1st in PDO in both. They're the two highest PDO teams left standing.

VGK is #1 throughout the playoffs with an average PDO of 104.7.
WSH is the 4th highest PDO team with an average of 101.9.
The Jets were the 8th luckiest on average with a PDO of 99.4.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
WSH has eclipsed the season average PDO for the last couple of rounds, finishing 2nd to Vegas' 1st in PDO in both. They're the two highest PDO teams left standing.

VGK is #1 throughout the playoffs with an average PDO of 104.7.
WSH is the 4th highest PDO team with an average of 101.9.
The Jets were the 8th luckiest on average with a PDO of 99.4.

:laugh: Well, they are the only teams left standing so ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad