Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Way to insult the 30 ft pole. :sarcasm: He wouldn’t touch that kid with one of those 100 ft concrete telephone poles.

Yeah just not the kind of character the Jets go after. They have dealt with that with Kane and even to a lesser extent Burmistrov. Guys who put themselves before the team are not really in Chevy's wheelhouse anymore.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Not only does San Jose shell out $49M for 7 years of Kane, they now have to give a first round pick to Buffalo to boot!

Yeah, unless Kane is going to live up to at least, say, 80% of his self-aggrandizement, this contract is going to stink like, well, rotten shark in the summer sun.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Not only does San Jose shell out $49M for 7 years of Kane, they now have to give a first round pick to Buffalo to boot!

Yeah, unless Kane is going to live up to at least, say, 80% of his self-aggrandizement, this contract is going to stink like, well, rotten shark in the summer sun.
stink like a wet tracksuit left on a tile shower floor

Reactions: AlphaLackey

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
So which Kane do they get, the one right after the trade or the one in the playoffs, doesn't matter that's a huge overpay, if he gets 7 m. per what will be Wheeler's ask.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I am a fan of Kane's on the ice, but god damn that's a lot of dough for a guy with some past transgressions. If his act is truly cleaned up by all means. but holy moley

Last edited:
Reactions: thereturn

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
$7 x 7 for a soon to be 27 year who averages about 65 games per season and just over 40 points in those games. That on top of the fact he has had locker room "and" off ice issues and oh and yea it will cost them a 1st round pick. I am not saying EK9 is a waist its just that seems like allot of money and term for a guy that carries baggage and risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duke749

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So which Kane do they get, the one right after the trade or the one in the playoffs, doesn't matter that's a huge overpay, if he gets 7 m. per what will be Wheeler's ask.

They are paying 7 million for a player who has essentially paced 51 points/82 games his entire career. Those are mediocre 2nd line scoring numbers.

The last three seasons he has paced

44 points in 2016
50 in 2017
57 in 2018

Honestly what do they actually think they are getting here? He is a good 2nd line player who relies 90% on his natural physical ability (Meaning he is going to decline quicker). Good for Kane but what a stupid contract by the Sharks, laughably bad.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
$7 x 7 for a soon to be 27 year who averages about 65 games per season and just over 40 points in those games. That on top of the fact he has had locker room "and" off ice issues and oh and yea it will cost them a 1st round pick. I am not saying EK9 is a waist its just that seems like allot of money and term for a guy that carries baggage and risk.
assuming some termination clauses in the contract concerning any off-ice issues.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
What in Kane's body of work makes you give him 7 million?

Also, what in his character makes you give him 7 years?

What a tire fire. Even if Kane was the poster boy of work rate and good behaviour, even then that would be a bit suspect.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
7 M? If that's true, that's too much. I think a long term contract is fine for the right team and I'm speaking location here. San Jose might be one of the best fits for Kane in the entire NHL - casual lifestyle in California with great weather and nobody having him under a microscope? Sounds great for Evander. I actually think they are a great fit. I'm really unsure if we ever see another 30 goals season out of Evander but what I'm certain about is the fact that he will be able to keep his game up over the next seven years easily - so term is fine. BUT SEVEN MILLION? No way :laugh: But a frontloaded 7x5 would be nice for both sides though.

Bottom line: I think it's too much money for sure but I can see this work out for both sides a lot better than other people may.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
With that being said, this is a major commitment -- both in dollars and in years -- to a guy who isn't an elite all-around player. In nine NHL seasons, Kane has only been a 30-goal scorer once and eclipsed the 50-point mark twice. He often plays a heavy game, so it will be interesting to see how his production holds up as he heads into his 30s. This deal has the potential to look pretty bad on the back end.

2018 NHL Free Agency: Evander Kane reportedly closing in on long-term extension with Sharks

If Kane is worth 7 X 7... then Laine is worth 14 X 7... Bad contracts like this will have a ripple effect thru-out the whole league.

Nov 24, 2006
I am a fan of Kane's on the ice, but god damn that's a lot of dough for a guy with some past transgressions. If his act is truly cleaned up by all means. but holy moley

The thing is, even if you're getting Kane at his best, this is still a gross overypayment in terms of years and AAV.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The thing is, even if you're getting Kane at his best, this is still a gross overypayment in terms of years and AAV.

yea but it's UFA and comparable % of cap hits have been signed for Wingers (Ryan, Okposo, Lucic, Ericksson, lesser extent Ladd and Atkinson...he's younger than all of them as well). I haven't seen any mention of a NTC/NMC which would raise the AAV/Total Contract Value a tad I would assume. I thought he'd get 6M so it's hard to say if 1M extra is a GROSS over-payment, do agree on the term though

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
yea but it's UFA and comparable % of cap hits have been signed for Wingers (Ryan, Okposo, Lucic, Ericksson, lesser extent Ladd and Atkinson...he's younger than all of them as well). I haven't seen any mention of a NTC/NMC which would raise the AAV/Total Contract Value a tad I would assume. I thought he'd get 6M so it's hard to say if 1M extra is a GROSS over-payment, do agree on the term though

Yeah you'd think GMs would learn that those kinds of contracts never work out. The comparables never look good.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
They are paying 7 million for a player who has essentially paced 51 points/82 games his entire career. Those are mediocre 2nd line scoring numbers.

The last three seasons he has paced

44 points in 2016
50 in 2017
57 in 2018

Honestly what do they actually think they are getting here? He is a good 2nd line player who relies 90% on his natural physical ability (Meaning he is going to decline quicker). Good for Kane but what a stupid contract by the Sharks, laughably bad.

that is not a bad progression though. I don't think it is a terrible contract, comparing points and age to Brian Little for example. and I am not knocking Little..

None

Feb 22, 2012

His agent deserves a nice bonus.

If 7 million is what they settled on I don't even want to imagine what the starting point was for negotiations.

TheChamber91

Dec 27, 2017
Hi, blues fan here, I've been going around the different team forums trying to get kind of overall reports on different player's styles of play, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out by kind of giving me scouting reports on Myers, Scheifele, Connor, and Armia. I'm asking because I'm trying to learn more than just the names around the league, I want to learn how they actually play. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad