Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Is that Quick in net for the Jets, or is there another goalie who should never leave the crease to play the puck?

Quick is an expert compared to what the Jets goalie just did. No communication with the dman coming back to get the puck. That goal was a back breaker after the Jets just tied it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
For me it was Jere Karalahti: Edmonton Oilers at Los Angeles Kings Box Score — December 30, 1999 | Hockey-Reference.com

I remember coming home for winter break as a college freshman and watching that game. I didn't have a TV in my dorm room, so I hadn't watched much that season.

In that game, Karalahti had a couple goals including one off an Al MacInnis-esque slapper. He played 25 minutes and made a couple of nice hits too. I was immediately convinced he was a stud and made an ill fated trade for him in my keeper league.
Jere Karalahti had a lot of talent. It was a shame he couldn't keep his nose clean.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yes, be a secondary scorer is very important for a cup contending team. It doesn't do much, and hasn't done much, for a team residing in the "black hole".

I am not for overpaying players, especially when it comes to the number of years on their deals. Pittsburgh kept their core. The core were generational talents named Crosby and Malkin who were both in their mid-20's through it all until they came through on the other side. Now they are in their early 30's. Jeff Carter is 33 years old right now, and the Kings have a number of years before they re-stock. Better to get something of value for Carter now than to watch a depreciating asset continue to decline in value.

Watching the playoffs has really driven home just how far the Kings are from contending again. The Kings are a good, not great hockey team.

Okay, fair, I understand you don't want to overpay players, but you can't have it both ways. Trading away Carter means you either have to overpay a competent player via UFA to replace him, you put a young player who may be in over his head to replace him, or you put an incompetent player in to replace him. It is very rare you'll get a competent player willing to take less than what other teams will offer because they want to leave room for a rebuild, and counting on that is unrealistic.

I think we're in agreement the Kings are a good, but not great hockey team. We can try to keep them good by shipping off replaceable pieces but keeping the good players like Carter. We can keep them good by trading good players and hoping good players will take less than what some other stupid GM will try to pay in the UFA market. Or we make the Kings worse by trading good players and replacing them with players who have a pulse and won't hold the stick upside down.

I get you want to make them better long term, but not too many franchises have shown success by knowingly and willingly making their team worse in the short term when they have a good core of players. The best example is Chicago in 2010, and they did it because they HAD to with the cap.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I'd stop being a fan of the Kings if the Kings had Hellebuyck as goalie. Quick while mediocre in the regular season was nails for the most part during the playoffs this year.

What a pathetic goalie. Vezina caliber? Go f*** yourself, you sieve.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
I'd stop being a fan of the Kings if the Kings had Hellebuyck as goalie. Quick while mediocre in the regular season was nails for the most part during the playoffs this year.

What a pathetic goalie. Vezina caliber? Go **** yourself, you sieve.
Hellebuyck, awful. Rinne, awful. Vasilevskiy, not so good.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Crazy what is happening in Vegas. Another game where they get the breaks and take advantage of them. Refs missed a 4 min crosschecking penalty that ends up giving the Knights a pp and the 1st goal of the game, then a big whiff by Buff at the point and Smith scores.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Crazy what is happening in Vegas. Another game where they get the breaks and take advantage of them. Refs missed a 4 min crosschecking penalty that ends up giving the Knights a pp and the 1st goal of the game, then a big whiff by Buff at the point and Smith scores.

They just have that magic right now. We've seen it firsthand when we won and when we faced Vegas now. Ever seen Brown miss a wide open net like that? How about Kopitar dangling an entire team...and NOT score? And can go all series without a goal against...yet at the most crucial time Vegas scored the most crucial goal with both Kopitar AND Doughty on the ice (I mean it was Tobi being a f***wad but still). All things being equal, there's no accounting for mojo.

Reactions: kingsfan28

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
They just have that magic right now. We've seen it firsthand when we won and when we faced Vegas now. Ever seen Brown miss a wide open net like that? How about Kopitar dangling an entire team...and NOT score? And can go all series without a goal against...yet at the most crucial time Vegas scored the most crucial goal with both Kopitar AND Doughty on the ice (I mean it was Tobi being a ****wad but still). All things being equal, there's no accounting for mojo.

Are we really doing the “Vegas is lucky” thing?

People use that same horseshit to denigrate the Kings’ Cups. Boo.

Reactions: 21Dog

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Are we really doing the “Vegas is lucky” thing?

People use that same horse**** to denigrate the Kings’ Cups. Boo.

When did I say lucky? They just have 'it.' The same 'it' that allowed us to come back from multiple deficits against the defending champs in their barn in game 7 to win in OT.

To win a Cup, you have to force fate your way, AND get some breaks.

Reactions: PuckTenderizingMeat

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Out of the remaining teams Vegas/Washington would be the ideal cup final for the NHL.

Vegas is a story because they're an expansion team. Washington is the nation's capital and they'd be a story because of Ovechkin finally getting to the SC finals.

If Washington wins, I would love to see the hack media make the Trump/Russia/Ovechkin/Kuznetsov connection when the Capitals make their White House visit. Would be fun.

Reactions: jfont

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I wonder if Ducks fans will still brag about "OMG WE WON THE CUP IN ONLY 14 YEARS OF EXISTENCE" if the Knights win it this year. That's what drives me to root for them to win. Even though the Caps are my first choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad