Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think it doesn't matter. The Kings aren't winning anytime soon with Jeff Carter in the lineup, they can certainly lose with Lewis as the 2C and Letestu on the roster as a filler.

What responsibilities need to be upheld? The current management team seems to be about maintaining the status quo and putting off the inevitable. In my opinion the #1 responsibility Blake has to us as customers is getting the Kings back into contention as quickly as possible. I have been a Kings fan for a long time. I don't mind having some down years in the regular season if I see there is a plan in place to get back on top and win the Stanley Cup.

Agreed, I think Blake is still formulating his plan, I do think Doughty however is a huge part of it, and if he is, you won't see Carter dealt, the issue really comes down to, how close you think this team is, vs how close Blake thinks this team is, and in that, I think you guys are in different libraries, let alone the same book etc.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Why the f*** do you care about others' opinions?

I'll go back to talking hockey and ignore the homer who has his head shoved so far up his ass he has a guideline as to what separates a good fan from a bad fan and accuses others of being fairweather fans.

Anyhow, Tampa Bay made the adjustments they needed to make without tinkering with their lineup much and really exposed the middle of the ice, which y'know, the Kings tend to struggle to do and failed to do so against Vegas.

Let's see if Winnipeg does the same against Vegas, who seem virtually impossible to defeat at home.

Reactions: KingTrouty

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Just quoted the most important thing, because you can go through EVERY TEAM and the end result is, if they win, it's good, if they don't, its bad,

The Lucic deal, if they end up winning the cup, no one here says BOO about it....maybe a few who just don't like to win, they like 1st round picks more than Stanley Cups...but serious fans, would make that trade 100 times out of a 100 if they knew a cup is at the end of it.

Exactly. If a team wins, everything is basically cool. You can at least live with whatever happened. You may not agree with it, but it can't be all bad. If they lose, an increasing amount of details, both present and past, get picked apart. It's no different than every sphere of life. We know the risk Lombardi took with the Richards deal for example. We didn't know he would only last about 2 years as a good player, but if everything happened the same way, just without the Cups, it's the worst trade in franchise history. The Lucic deal most likely never happens, since Lombardi would've been long gone by then, and all we would talk about is Richards. We'd be tracking Schenn and Simmonds the way we do Barzal and Connor.

Much easier to let go of the past without success in the past too, so if 12 and 14 don't happen, the Kings might be further along in another rebuilding project today. Quick may have a different contract, or on a different team, Brown is almost certainly not here anymore, Carter has likely already been dealt, Kopitar is out at least in 2016 if not earlier, Richards is easily bought out, Gaborik is never here, and the list goes on. A completely different history. Might have McDavid or Matthews right now, which might make signing Doughty easier, assuming he was still here. Not that he could've gone anywhere else if the Kings didn't want to do it.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
The only way Doughty gets traded is if the Kings know he isn't going to stick around. And if he is going to stick around, Carter should be traded.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I would like to think the errors DL made during the latter stages of his tenure here have made him a better manager today.

Too often he let his emotions influence his descisions. As an executive you have to be cold, analytical, and sometimes callous with your moves. Easier said than done.
One thing Dean is pretty good at, especially when he has time to reflect, is critical self evaluation. He knows how to build a contender.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think it doesn't matter. The Kings aren't winning anytime soon with Jeff Carter in the lineup, they can certainly lose with Lewis as the 2C and Letestu on the roster as a filler.

What responsibilities need to be upheld? The current management team seems to be about maintaining the status quo and putting off the inevitable. In my opinion the #1 responsibility Blake has to us as customers is getting the Kings back into contention as quickly as possible. I have been a Kings fan for a long time. I don't mind having some down years in the regular season if I see there is a plan in place to get back on top and win the Stanley Cup.

Being an actual scorer and an offensive threat as a secondary scorer is pretty important. Lewis is great at providing unquestioned effort, but he's not a second liner. Carter is one of the most consistent scorers on the team. He almost always hovers around .6 PPG over the course of a season. Carter is also versatile, playing center or wing. I don't see how you feel it's more important to have another prospect when Carter could move to wing if Vilardi can handle the center role, and if he can't, then Carter can maintain strength at the center position while someone can more easily replace Toffoli/Brown as a top 6 right wing.

Your plan is to sell players to get picks and prospects and either replacing them with players who won't make the cut or overpaying for players who could. None of the four teams this year are successful by following this model. Pittsburgh kept their talented core together even after failing to be top contenders following their 2009 cup win.

Again, different philosophies. We clearly think our own approach is better for the team. We both want the Kings to be contenders as soon as possible, and we both love the Kings. I get that. I just think they will be better off selling pieces that are easier to replace.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Being an actual scorer and an offensive threat as a secondary scorer is pretty important. Lewis is great at providing unquestioned effort, but he's not a second liner. Carter is one of the most consistent scorers on the team. He almost always hovers around .6 PPG over the course of a season. Carter is also versatile, playing center or wing. I don't see how you feel it's more important to have another prospect when Carter could move to wing if Vilardi can handle the center role, and if he can't, then Carter can maintain strength at the center position while someone can more easily replace Toffoli/Brown as a top 6 right wing.

Your plan is to sell players to get picks and prospects and either replacing them with players who won't make the cut or overpaying for players who could. None of the four teams this year are successful by following this model. Pittsburgh kept their talented core together even after failing to be top contenders following their 2009 cup win.

Again, different philosophies. We clearly think our own approach is better for the team. We both want the Kings to be contenders as soon as possible, and we both love the Kings. I get that. I just think they will be better off selling pieces that are easier to replace.
Yes, be a secondary scorer is very important for a cup contending team. It doesn't do much, and hasn't done much, for a team residing in the "black hole".

I am not for overpaying players, especially when it comes to the number of years on their deals. Pittsburgh kept their core. The core were generational talents named Crosby and Malkin who were both in their mid-20's through it all until they came through on the other side. Now they are in their early 30's. Jeff Carter is 33 years old right now, and the Kings have a number of years before they re-stock. Better to get something of value for Carter now than to watch a depreciating asset continue to decline in value.

Watching the playoffs has really driven home just how far the Kings are from contending again. The Kings are a good, not great hockey team.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Hahaha 48k posts over a 16 year time frame, with the majority of those talking about terrible teams and we have the fairweather fan label being thrown at Ziggy_Stardust of all people.
Ziggy abandons the forum whenever the Kings suck. I think he made 47,000 posts in the 2012-2014 time frame. I don't know what he is still doing here. :sarcasm:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Hahaha 48k posts over a 16 year time frame, with the majority of those talking about terrible teams and we have the fairweather fan label being thrown at Ziggy_Stardust of all people.

Maybe fairweather was the wrong word, would ignorant be better? He's shown himself to only like the games that he knows he can win, to me, that's not really a fan, I could be wrong, maybe it is, maybe fans like it being easy....

As far as 48K posts over a 16 year time frame, I am willing to bet the only positive posts you saw were 2012-2014, and even then....they probably had a bite to them....but hey, that was the "easy" part of being a fan, right?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I’m just a bandwagoner who only comes along to post when things are going great, like when we banked our hopes on the likes of Roman Vopat, Pavel Rosa, Aki Berg, Andrei Shefer, Alexei Volkov, Justin Papineau, Yanick Lehoux, Scott Barney, Matt Zultek, Justin Papineau, etc. Y’know, back when things were so great.

Those were glory years, not as good as 2012, but you need to get back to 83-86 etc before you find real pain, no real scouting, drafting was absolutely putrid, when they had picks they missed etc....

But hey, your a true fan because you can read names off a whos who list right? Like I said, maybe fairweather wasn't the right word, ignorant is probably more apt to describe it......

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Maybe fairweather was the wrong word, would ignorant be better? He's shown himself to only like the games that he knows he can win, to me, that's not really a fan, I could be wrong, maybe it is, maybe fans like it being easy....

As far as 48K posts over a 16 year time frame, I am willing to bet the only positive posts you saw were 2012-2014, and even then....they probably had a bite to them....but hey, that was the "easy" part of being a fan, right?
"Ignorant" is not better. Ziggy has been around here long enough to not be personally insulted. Learn to respect another person's opinions. You don't have to agree. Why would you want to go on a discussion board made of only cheerleaders?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
"Ignorant" is not better. Ziggy has been around here long enough to not be personally insulted. Learn to respect another person's opinions. You don't have to agree. Why would you want to go on a discussion board made of only cheerleaders?

I don't, but your "respect" goes both ways, does it not? People where complaining about Lombardi's moves post 2014, I seriously did not remember most of them, (good reason why, there were virtually none) so I asked which ones, and Ziggy responded with some inane comment about Stoll and Greene, and a legit problem with Gaborik's extension, then the Sekera trade and Lucic trade both have been discussed ad nauseum.

When I called him on it, he starts pulling the homer card out etc, so I called him on his BS.

No one is being a cheerleader, there's a difference between liking the result, and UNDERSTANDING the result, it's my opinion that Ziggy doesn't like the result, and clearly doesn't UNDERSTAND the result, he just doesn't like getting called out on it.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Ziggy abandons the forum whenever the Kings suck. I think he made 47,000 posts in the 2012-2014 time frame. I don't know what he is still doing here. :sarcasm:

47,000 posts since 2002. Yikes, that's a lot of time on the computer....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I don't, but your "respect" goes both ways, does it not? People where complaining about Lombardi's moves post 2014, I seriously did not remember most of them, (good reason why, there were virtually none) so I asked which ones, and Ziggy responded with some inane comment about Stoll and Greene, and a legit problem with Gaborik's extension, then the Sekera trade and Lucic trade both have been discussed ad nauseum.

When I called him on it, he starts pulling the homer card out etc, so I called him on his BS.

No one is being a cheerleader, there's a difference between liking the result, and UNDERSTANDING the result, it's my opinion that Ziggy doesn't like the result, and clearly doesn't UNDERSTAND the result, he just doesn't like getting called out on it.

So not liking the result means I don’t understand it. Let’s all listen to this almighty snob who claims to have superior knowledge over the rest of us.

I guess pointing out that the team was unwilling to pay the price to score tough goals and backing it up with facts and stats that prove it demonstrates my lack of understanding of the sport.

Maybe if I shoved my head so far up my ass, I might also share your same myopic views. Let’s all listen to the resident asshole who thinks his shit doesn’t stink.

Reactions: KingTrouty
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad