Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Have a meeting of the minds among management, McDavid's group, and Draisaitl's group. Tell them you're trying to build a dynasty and want to dominate the league, but it's important to have both of them take a haircut. They're both gonna get paid, but can have both money and rings. McDavid will gets endorsements for life, he could give a little up. Have them both buy in, it's a very unique negotiating scenario. Knock both deals out at once.

It's the right approach. I bet their agents would never let all three parties be in the same room at the same time.

Ultimately it is the player who is the boss. These guys aren't stupid. They know the more they take, the tougher it is for the organization to win.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
It's the right approach. I bet their agents would never let all three parties be in the same room at the same time.

Ultimately it is the player who is the boss. These guys aren't stupid. They know the more they take, the tougher it is for the organization to win.

Which players in recent years have taken team-friendly contracts?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Which team has sustained success after star players took every penny is the better question. The Kings window hasn't closed, but the light is dimming.

Pittsburgh is an outlier because the cap kept growing at a great clip, not the case now. It's grown 50% since the Penguins beat Detroit!

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

This is why after the 2nd contract is up, it's almost always time to part company.

Unfortunately, for the Oilers they have two guys who are top 10 centers in the NHL, and they got there at a very young age.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels

Jonathan Quick.

Quick and the Kings could not offer more specifics about the deal, but the goalie talked about keeping the core of the team together when he was in Las Vegas for the NHL Awards last week. He had 16 wins and a 1.41 goals-against average and save percentage of .946 in the run to the Cup.

"It's a younger group," he said. "You want to keep everyone here, keep as much of this team intact as you can. Obviously, we know it's part of the game where some guys get moved and it's unfortunate. But we want to keep as much of the team intact.

"We really love the group. The chemistry we have in the room is awesome."

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Why is it so hard for fans on messageboards to just agree that both teams benefitted from a trade, it's like both sides get so dug in on their teams side that they lose all objectivity.

The Kings got a much needed piece to their 2012 cup run, a player that made a number of key plays in 2012 that Jarret Stoll or Brayden Schenn wouldn't have been able to make. Stoll has stone hands and Schenn never could have shouldered the responsibility Richards had defensively in 2012.

The Flyers got rid of what was going to turn into the NHL's worst contract and added a wonderful future star in Simmonds and now some new assets for Schenn. Philly was not winning the cup in the years 11/12 or 12/13 when MR was still an effective player. And by the end all the rumors and bad press about off the ice stuff were correct.

You guys take some odd positions like the Kings would have won in 2012 without Richards and the Kings wouldn't have won in 2014 without him.

This trade seems to always be brought up from the grave, usually when Johnny mentions Simmonds in anyway. If you are going to evaluate it you have to look at the reality that it was two different players. Richards in 2012 was probably about at the same level Carter is now, an excellent 2nd line center, Richards in 2014 was probably about the same level as Andreoff is now, a below average 4th line center.

I just don't agree that Philadelphia benefited at all. Would it make any difference right now if they were stuck with Richards? Whether they have him, Lehtera and Simmonds, or a garbage bag full of gently used rubbers, their outcome is the same:

Burn through Richards, Carter, Giroux and never win a damn thing.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just don't agree that Philadelphia benefited at all. Would it make any difference right now if they were stuck with Richards? Whether they have him, Lehtera and Simmonds, or a garbage bag full of gently used rubbers, their outcome is the same:

Burn through Richards, Carter, Giroux and never win a damn thing.

Just because they haven't won anything yet doesn't mean they didn't benefit.

I don't think they would have won if they held onto Carter and Richards for another year. So still having Simmonds playing for them while Richards is out of the league has certainly benefited them.

But anyone who argues the Kings "lost" that trade is out of their freakin' minds.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I guess it depends on how you define "benefit." From my perspective second place is the first loser. Sure it's nice that Philly has Simmonds who scores some goals and the fans love him, but who really cares about regular season success? ****, the Flyers don't even have that going for them now.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I guess it depends on how you define "benefit." From my perspective second place is the first loser. Sure it's nice that Philly has Simmonds who scores some goals and the fans love him, but who really cares about regular season success? ****, the Flyers don't even have that going for them now.

I agree, this is why you don't sit on aging players which are big assets in the trade market.

If the team isn't going to contend, move those guys and get something for the future.

The idea any one player must retire as an LA King is baloney. Look how it worked out for Phoenix and Shane Doan.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Fair enough. I guess when I say that an exchange "benefited" the team, it means I feel they are in a better position having made the exchange compared to without.

So, if you feel the Flyers wouldn't have won the cup had they kept Richards (which is what I believe), I feel they are better off having Simmonds + compared to losing Richards for nothing. At least the Kings won the cup with Richards.

But as you say, it's semantics.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Bonino to Preds

Good pickup for the Preds, they get a good 3rd line center, center depth killed them the last few years.

Darren Dregerâ€ÂVerified accountï‚™ @DarrenDreger · 19m19 minutes ago

onfirming Nick Bonino is going to Nashville. 4/5 year term.

Alzner to Habs

Darren Dregerâ€ÂVerified accountï‚™ @DarrenDreger · 48m48 minutes ago

Further to @NHL_AaronWard report on Alzner signing with the Canadiens. 5 yr term at just over $23 million total.

Kulikov to Jets

Darren Dregerâ€ÂVerified accountï‚™ @DarrenDreger · 8m8 minutes ago

Still working on the details, but Winnipeg is likely destination for Dmitry Kulikov

Nice Pickup for the leafs...

Pierre LeBrunâ€ÂVerified accountï‚™ @PierreVLeBrun · 20m20 minutes ago

Believe the Leafs are getting Ron Hainsey on a two-year deal once paperwork is filed past noon ET...

JW to Canes

Aaron Ward is saying WIlliams is likely to sign with the Canes, which makes sense. He wanted to stay on the East coast and has history there. Good young team on the way up that needs Veteran experience.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Pens add D

SportsCentreâ€ÂVerified accountï‚™ @SportsCentre · 8m8 minutes ago

ICYMI: Pittsburgh Penguins to sign D Matt Hunwick (via @NHL_AaronWard) http://*******/296g2Xv #TSNHockey

Looks like Hanzel to the Dallas Stars (Bobby MAc)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I see the UFAs are flocking to Southern California again.

A bit disappointed to see Bonino go to Nashville, but Nashville may still be in the market for a forward come the deadline.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I see the UFAs are flocking to Southern California again.

A bit disappointed to see Bonino go to Nashville, but Nashville may still be in the market for a forward come the deadline.

I think Bonino did well, great fit for him and them. Cup contender that needed center depth, he'll do well there.
I don't think the preds will wait to the deadline, they need a 2C and I wouldn't rule out a trade or FA.
But if not now, between now and then. Good team, but w/o center depth, no Shiny Silver Cup

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
No way I pay Bonino $5 million per for 5 years. Good player but not for that much to be your 3rd line centre. Nashville must envision him as their second line centre.

Edit 4x4, per Dreger. Now that's not bad, especially if he's slotting into the top 6.

Last edited:

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
That Alzner contract is brutal

Looks like Chicago is trying to put the band back together again. That's a cheap for Sharp since I don't see him playing a full season.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Montreal is a not contender. They have a couple great pieces, but it's a Grand Canyon drop off after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad