Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It's a good story line for the NHL, and it will generate more interest from the casual sports fan, but at the same time it's kind of embarrassing.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So Winnipeg wasted a career year from 31 year old Wheeler. Wasted another year of Laine on his ELC. Wasted 14 goals in 17 playoff games from Scheifele. Regardless of how good he is, that's unlikely to happen again. Byfuglien is now 33. Got nothing from Little in the playoffs, and he'll be 31 next year. They have to pay Trouba, and Hellebuyck, and he's coming off a career year. Stastny is a free agent. Had 15 points in 17 games. They can't pay him what he'll want at 32 years old though. They may never be as healthy or as productive as a team in the playoffs again.

You never know how things will go in the future. Can't waste seasons.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
So Winnipeg wasted a career year from 31 year old Wheeler. Wasted another year of Laine on his ELC. Wasted 14 goals in 17 playoff games from Scheifele. Regardless of how good he is, that's unlikely to happen again. Byfuglien is now 33. Got nothing from Little in the playoffs, and he'll be 31 next year. They have to pay Trouba, and Hellebuyck, and he's coming off a career year. Stastny is a free agent. Had 15 points in 17 games. They can't pay him what he'll want at 32 years old though. They may never be as healthy or as productive as a team in the playoffs again.

You never know how things will go in the future. Can't waste seasons.

Correct, you can't predict what the new season brings. But the Jets are a very good talented team and they stay healthy and they'll be fine next year. They ran into a hot goalie...it happens.
I love Scheifele, he's one of those players who 'gets it' in the playoffs. Something you can't teach, that comes from inside. He's got leadership in spades. If he's healthy, he'll drive the train next year.
I was pulling for him to break Reggie Leach's goal record (19 goals ) in a playoff run.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Vegas GWG by lines.

4th line (goal scored by dman)
2nd line
2nd line
1st line (goal scored by dman)
3rd line
1st line
3rd line
1st line
1st line
3rd line
1st line
4th line

Amazing what happens when your best players are great and you get offensive contributions from everyone else. The Kings were tough when we had that in 2012 and 2014.

Also interesting that all 12 of their game winning goals have come at ES

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Jets needed more from Laine. He had a very disappointing playoff for a guy who might have the best shot I’ve seen since Brett Hull, he was a non-factor 5 on 5. But he still is only 20.
The Jets are deep, very deep. Do they need some roster adjustments going forward? Can their GM screw it up by overpaying players approaching their third contracts? Absolutely.

Chevy having gone to school on the mistakes made by the Kings and Hawks is probably the more likely scenario. I don't see any valid comparisons between the Kings and Jets at this time.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Does anyone here believe that Vegas is going to lose the cup to Tampa/Washington?

4-0, 4-2, 4-1 with Hephaestus himself playing in goal. Unless it’s tampa and the entire series is played with special teams, I don’t see it happening.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Does anyone here believe that Vegas is going to lose the cup to Tampa/Washington?

4-0, 4-2, 4-1 with Hephaestus himself playing in goal. Unless it’s tampa and the entire series is played with special teams, I don’t see it happening.
If Vegas wins the Stanley Cup, Hephaestus will be the difference.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Vegas is having an amazing season. Winnipeg will be back.

Fleury made all the difference in the WCF.

They’ll definitely be back. This reminds me of the 2009 Hawks WCF loss to Detroit.

Also, I really don’t understand the vitriol thrown Vegas’s way. They’re very clearly a talented, deep team, and they’re masterfully coached. Marchessault would easily be LA’s best winger.

You don’t get to the Cup Finals on luck or try hard gumption. The Knights roll one first line, two second lines, and arguably a third line. And they have three #2 pairings and world class goaltending.

They’re loaded with picks and prospects. Their cap is managed. And they’re likely getting Erik f***ing Karlsson in the offseason.

The only embarrassment people should feel is their own after laughing at the Knights’ expansion draft then turning around and saying it was unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->