Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
If Tavares isn't traded, if he hits the open market, he'll pick a team that is a contender. Also, he's not a #2 center, so it wouldn't be the Kings.
In a trade? For what they'd have to give up, it far too risky for a rental.
There will be trades to be made and Free Agents out there, but Luc and co , will continue to rebuild the farm, which is the best way to build a contender. Getting assets, multiple picks and have a deep pool. It took Hexy a few years but the Flyers now have the best farm system in the NHL. But I think the Kings have some assets that could be moved for players that could help them, just not the elite ones, they don't have the ammo to offer.

Reactions: KINGS17

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Jimmy Murphy @MurphysLaw74

Hearing lots of chatter that not only could #LouLamoriello be joining #Isles but two-time #StanleyCup winner and former #LAKings and #SJSharks GM Dean Lombardi could be joining fold too.
5:39 PM - May 13, 2018

It would be (from another NY Article) Papa Lou pres of Hockey Ops and DL the new GM.

I'm sure that's a dream of Lombardi's.

Lombardi drove the Kings into the ground as he lost touch, Lamoriello drove the Devils into the ground as he lost touch, and then got to draft Matthews. I guess if they can get anyone to take Ladd the way Ottawa took Phaneuf, they might have a shot.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I would like to think the errors DL made during the latter stages of his tenure here have made him a better manager today.

Too often he let his emotions influence his descisions. As an executive you have to be cold, analytical, and sometimes callous with your moves. Easier said than done.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Lombardi's major problem at the end of the day is he is loyal to a fault. He has his guys, his type of player, and he doesn't change from that. He waits FAR too long to move on from players (if he ever does). He didn't in San Jose, he didn't in L.A. and he won't anywhere else.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I would like to think the errors DL made during the latter stages of his tenure here have made him a better manager today.

Too often he let his emotions influence his descisions. As an executive you have to be cold, analytical, and sometimes callous with your moves. Easier said than done.

I doubt DL ever changes. He's driven by that emotion and loyalty, wanting similar players who would jump in front of a car for their teammates. That mentality played a huge part of why this team won 10 of 11 playoff series in a 3 year span. It's also why DL found it impossible to stay on top. What's required to make those tough decisions isn't in his DNA.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Just curious of this mindset,

With the exception of Richards, what tough decisions did DL shy away from? Who should he have moved on from in the off season of 2014, 2015, 2016 ?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hung onto the likes of Stoll and Greene for too long, to the point they became obsolete. The Sekera and Lucic trades that were so shortsighted, when the team had so many holes. The Gaborik extension wasn't so wise, but thankfully Blake was able to finagle his way out of that contract. The team depth was so bad, the likes of Dwight King and Trevor Lewis were inserted into top six roles. Trading assets for 6 or so games of Ben Bishop didn't make any sense when they could have gotten the same results Bishop delivered if they just hung onto Budaj.

It'll be more challenging to list all of the good things he did after 2014.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
One of the biggest ones was not moving on from Sutter and sticking with him until the bitter end.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Hung onto the likes of Stoll and Greene for too long, to the point they became obsolete. The Sekera and Lucic trades that were so shortsighted, when the team had so many holes. The Gaborik extension wasn't so wise, but thankfully Blake was able to finagle his way out of that contract. The team depth was so bad, the likes of Dwight King and Trevor Lewis were inserted into top six roles. Trading assets for 6 or so games of Ben Bishop didn't make any sense when they could have gotten the same results Bishop delivered if they just hung onto Budaj.

It'll be more challenging to list all of the good things he did after 2014.

Jarret Stoll last season in LA was 2014-2015, the season AFTER they won the cup, that's hanging on to him too long?

Matt Greene's truly last season in LA was 2014-2015, played 3 games in 2015-2016 due to injury, and 26 in 2016-2017 due to injury....

The Sekera and Lucic trades have been argued to death, at the TIME of the deals, it made sense in what the team was doing, still contending.

Agree the Gaborik extension wasn't the best move at all...

Team depth was bad?? You do realize they played in the top six due to injuries, and trying to shake out of slumps etc, that and Sutter had a thing about Brown playing on the first line...

As far as Bishop, a washed up 2nd, a UFA backup, and a 7th round, that he turned around and flipped for a 4th round....yea....that was complete...nonsense...really??

I was seriously asking because hell my memory sucks, but if this is the best of the worst....I'm shocked, I expected much much worse the way some posters go on....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Jarret Stoll last season in LA was 2014-2015, the season AFTER they won the cup, that's hanging on to him too long?

Matt Greene's truly last season in LA was 2014-2015, played 3 games in 2015-2016 due to injury, and 26 in 2016-2017 due to injury....

The Sekera and Lucic trades have been argued to death, at the TIME of the deals, it made sense in what the team was doing, still contending.

Agree the Gaborik extension wasn't the best move at all...

Team depth was bad?? You do realize they played in the top six due to injuries, and trying to shake out of slumps etc, that and Sutter had a thing about Brown playing on the first line...

As far as Bishop, a washed up 2nd, a UFA backup, and a 7th round, that he turned around and flipped for a 4th round....yea....that was complete...nonsense...really??

I was seriously asking because hell my memory sucks, but if this is the best of the worst....I'm shocked, I expected much much worse the way some posters go on....

Their cap situation constrained the team to great lengths, hence Dean's inability to re-sign the UFAs he brought on here. That was all Dean's doing.

You seem to like to make a lot of excuses. Care to list all of the good decisions he made post-2014?

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Their cap situation constrained the team to great lengths, hence Dean's inability to re-sign the UFAs he brought on here. That was all Dean's doing.

You seem to like to make a lot of excuses. Care to list all of the good decisions he made post-2014?

No idea, shoot me a complete list, like I said, my memory is for the dog, that's why I truly asked,

And when is pointing out Stoll's last season, or Greene's last season an excuse? It sounds like you got your facts wrong on that one,

I agreed Gaborik's extension wasn't the best, but that's literally all you are coming up with Gaborik, Sekera deal, and Lucic deal, in three years....

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
They were still paying Greene $2.5M while he was with the team. The games played thing is an excuse, and Stoll was paid over $3M to be one of the most expensive fourth line centers in the league.

And Greene was re-signed after 2014. Here's a list of all of the transactions Dean made after the second Cup win leading up to his dismissal.

Hockey Transactions Search Results

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They were still paying Greene $2.5M while he was with the team. The games played thing is an excuse, and Stoll was paid over $3M to be one of the most expensive fourth line centers in the league.

And Greene was re-signed after 2014. Here's a list of all of the transactions Dean made after the second Cup win leading up to his dismissal.

Hockey Transactions Search Results

Greene was on LITR, doesn't matter what they were paying him, I will take a look at the list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad