Around the League '16-'17 Other Teams' Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
They were still paying Greene $2.5M while he was with the team. The games played thing is an excuse, and Stoll was paid over $3M to be one of the most expensive fourth line centers in the league.

And Greene was re-signed after 2014. Here's a list of all of the transactions Dean made after the second Cup win leading up to his dismissal.

Hockey Transactions Search Results

Well going through them, Vey for a 2nd was a nice deal, Martinez extension was nice, Toffoli bridge deal, imagine if he was signed to a 5-6 year deal, Lecavalier move was a good one, Campbell deal, Lewis extension, etc

Everything else is pretty much garden variety.....so again, your list boils down to Stoll being a 4th line C, and yet you argue the team didn't have depth.......and the Sekera trade, and the Lucic trade.....

That it?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Well going through them, Vey for a 2nd was a nice deal, Martinez extension was nice, Toffoli bridge deal, imagine if he was signed to a 5-6 year deal, Lecavalier move was a good one, Campbell deal, Lewis extension, etc

Everything else is pretty much garden variety.....so again, your list boils down to Stoll being a 4th line C, and yet you argue the team didn't have depth.......and the Sekera trade, and the Lucic trade.....

That it?

And what did all of those moves earn the Kings during that time frame?

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LOL seriously? I think I get it now, you only like to play games if you know you can win.....

Sorry for pointing out the lack of results. It gets in the way of your narrative of excusing making and for the lack of success and failure to reach the post season.

They should have just kept repeating the same successful series of transactions that caused them to miss the playoffs.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
What's really interesting is during that time frame, the Kings had 9 pages of transactions, Blackhawks had 26, Bruins had 28. Penguins 32....that's fascinating how little the Kings did during that time period

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sorry for pointing out the lack of results. It gets in the way of your narrative of excusing making and for the lack of success and failure to reach the post season.

They should have just kept repeating the same successful series of transactions that caused them to miss the playoffs.

LOL you can point out whatever you want, I'm not the one that seems to be wallowing in sadness and regret..... it's a shame you can't enjoy the game anymore because of that damn Lucic deal.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LOL you can point out whatever you want, I'm not the one that seems to be wallowing in sadness and regret..... it's a shame you can't enjoy the game anymore because of that damn Lucic deal.

I'm enjoying watching other team's playing hockey in May. I miss the Kings being there, but unfortunately they're not good enough to be at that level yet.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I'm enjoying watching other team's playing hockey in May. I miss the Kings being there, but unfortunately they're not good enough to be at that level yet.

Nope, but then again, neither is Nashville, Pittsburgh, Boston, Toronto...oh wait, you didn't think their was participation medals did you??

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The Stoll question starts in 2012. If the Kings don't end up with the Cup that year, with an actual goal from Stoll against Vancouver, is he brought back? Most people did not want to see him back. Him and Penner. The 11-12 season was going to be a disappointment before it all happened. The end result of 2012 probably got Stoll a 3 year contract, and that's where the first mistake is. Then it was not getting rid of him in 2013, 2014, or especially 2015. Unfortunately, Lombardi still believed in the roster, or what was left of it, in 2015.

But again, you can go back through most of Lombardi's choices through his entire tenure as GM, and the only reason they look good is because they ended up with Cups. Luckily, because they were never actually an elite team from start to finish. They had their inflated possession numbers, but the actual W/L totals left much to be desired. Outside of the 2012 playoffs, which was ridiculous.

And the Caps are playing like the Kings tonight.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Nope, but then again, neither is Nashville, Pittsburgh, Boston, Toronto...oh wait, you didn't think their was participation medals did you??

You mean teams that actually won playoff games and looked competitive and didn't go out on a whimper by scoring 3 goals in a 4-game sweep? At least those teams didn't embarrass themselves. I would take that over whatever garbage hockey that was that we witnessed against Vegas.

Just keep burying your head in the sand.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Stoll question starts in 2012. If the Kings don't end up with the Cup that year, with an actual goal from Stoll against Vancouver, is he brought back? Most people did not want to see him back. Him and Penner. The 11-12 season was going to be a disappointment before it all happened. The end result of 2012 probably got Stoll a 3 year contract, and that's where the first mistake is. Then it was not getting rid of him in 2013, 2014, or especially 2015. Unfortunately, Lombardi still believed in the roster, or what was left of it, in 2015.

But again, you can go back through most of Lombardi's choices through his entire tenure as GM, and the only reason they look good is because they ended up with Cups. Luckily, because they were never actually an elite team from start to finish. They had their inflated possession numbers, but the actual W/L totals left much to be desired. Outside of the 2012 playoffs, which was ridiculous.

And the Caps are playing like the Kings tonight.

Just quoted the most important thing, because you can go through EVERY TEAM and the end result is, if they win, it's good, if they don't, its bad,

The Lucic deal, if they end up winning the cup, no one here says BOO about it....maybe a few who just don't like to win, they like 1st round picks more than Stanley Cups...but serious fans, would make that trade 100 times out of a 100 if they knew a cup is at the end of it.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
You mean teams that actually won playoff games and looked competitive and didn't go out on a whimper by scoring 3 goals in a 4-game sweep? At least those teams didn't embarrass themselves. I would take that over whatever garbage hockey that was that we witnessed against Vegas.

Just keep burying your head in the sand.

LOL so you are ok with losing, it's just how the loss is scored....interesting...I guess.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
LOL so you are ok with losing, it's just how the loss is scored....interesting...I guess.

Did you ever sense the Kings could have won any games against Vegas? I, along with many others, didn't.

The Kings losing to Vancouver in 2010 and San Jose in 2011 was easy to accept. When they pushed Colorado to 7 games in 2001 and 2002, the team played their hearts out.

The last two times we've seen the Kings in the playoffs were just embarrassing performances in 2016 and 2018. They didn't even look like they belonged on the same ice surface as their opponents, who skated circles around them.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Did you ever sense the Kings could have won any games against Vegas? I, along with many others, didn't.

The Kings losing to Vancouver in 2010 and San Jose in 2011 was easy to accept. When they pushed Colorado to 7 games in 2001 and 2002, the team played their hearts out.

The last two times we've seen the Kings in the playoffs were just embarrassing performances in 2016 and 2018. They didn't even look like they belonged on the same ice surface as their opponents, who skated circles around them.

Yes, I actually sensed they could of won games 2, 3 and 4, it didn't happen, guess what, that's called SPORTS.

And yet, the Kings played them much closer than SJ did, who won 4 games this year in the playoffs...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Sharks won 6 games this year, they swept the Ducks and won twice against Vegas.

The Kings haven't won a playoff series since 2014 and have only one playoff game win in the past four years.

How anyone can be satisfied with that baffles me.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Sharks won 6 games this year, they swept the Ducks and won twice against Vegas.

The Kings haven't won a playoff series since 2014 and have only one playoff game win in the past four years.

How anyone can be satisfied with that baffles me.

LOL Because it's SPORT.....man....seriously, you really only want to play games that you know you can win, cmon now....let me guess, you play down 2-3 levels in mens league because it makes ya feel good, right? LOL if you don't think LA vs Vegas was entertaining, grip the seat of your pants hockey, not much is gonna help you, regardless if the results weren't there, the effort was

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Here we go again with your sanctimonious bull**** from the resident homer.

Dude, you said it yourself, at the very least you insinuated the hell out of it....

It's funny, I'm a homer because I understand how the game works, that it's not all fun n games, that sometimes, the good guys do lose, and the man in the white hat doesn't show up.

Sometimes moves backfire, but you absolutely have to do them in the moment, and hope for the best, but hell, i'm a homer because I believe a double OT game could have gone either way with puck luck,

Seriously, you shit on the last 4 years saying Lombardi screwed up, screwed this team and when asked for specifics, you pull out THREE things, Gaborik extention, and the two deals, Sekera, and Lucic,

You mention some BS about holding on to Stoll and Greene, though there last games in LA were 2015 for Stoll and essentially 2015 for Greene, look up LTIR and see how that works....

You say it's because of cap hell that they did so little, yet, Chicago had the same cap hell to work with, and did more moves...but hey, look where they are today, same amount of success etc,

Seriously you are a fairweather fan who only wants to play the games you know you can win, either that, or you truly don't understand how SPORT works....

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
You think Letestu is a #2 center? I'd rather have Trevor Lewis as the #2 center.

Players who you listed (and others would go for) would either cost too much or actually are on the decline and don't have much in the tank and can't hold the fort for several years until prospects are ready.

I promise, I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt here. The ultimate difference is the scale in which you feel more comfortable selling players off than I am. It's why I am okay with trading away Toffoli, Muzzin, etc. They play roles other players can (or currently are) fill in.

You want to trade players before their value drops and the Kings aren't cup favorites. I get that.

I feel the organization has roles and responsibilities that need to be upheld, regardless of their cup contention status. I agree, in a vacuum, the Kings will get way more for Carter now than waiting any longer. But I think the cost to replace him right now will cost a lot more than what the Kings can acquire.

I think it doesn't matter. The Kings aren't winning anytime soon with Jeff Carter in the lineup, they can certainly lose with Lewis as the 2C and Letestu on the roster as a filler.

What responsibilities need to be upheld? The current management team seems to be about maintaining the status quo and putting off the inevitable. In my opinion the #1 responsibility Blake has to us as customers is getting the Kings back into contention as quickly as possible. I have been a Kings fan for a long time. I don't mind having some down years in the regular season if I see there is a plan in place to get back on top and win the Stanley Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad