Around Hockey XXIV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Was just listening to a news story regarding the ESPN/Fox/Warner Brothers Sports Package coming in the fall. The person being interviewed said he is being told to expect the service to cost between $40 - $45 per month.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Really feel for the Yotes fans. It’s a situation I never would want to be in as a fan

A silver lining I guess is that the NHL really wants to make it work. So assuming that one day they can get their ducks in a row with an arena deal, they should be bringing a team back there in the relatively near future.

Reactions: Viqsi

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Reading the tea leaves, it sounds like the league is demanding that Arizona's ownership provide a concrete plan to have the team play in an arena that meets minimum league qualifications or else the league will force a sale either to itself or to another ownership group that would be able to provide an arena.

The issue will be forcing Merulo to sell when he doesn't want to. That's where the litigation that Friedman is alluding to would come from.

One surprising thing for me is that Friedman and others are insisting that Salt Lake City is not a relocation destination and Ryan Smyth is really only interested in expansion...
Well, they need to see something concrete for sure. You can only say "we are working on it" for so long. If there is no progress you've got to start looking at options. This situation can't keep going on.

Phoenix is such a massive area and the team could be a sucess if located in the right place. Just nobody seems to be willing to help get the right place. The suburbs are hard to work there when it takes almost an hour to go from one side to the other. Tempe would be fine if they just had a large enough facility but Glendale was just not ideal.

Sucks that they have been full of incompetent ownership too.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I remember talks last summer about whether Hyman would make our team better than some other high priced guys on the roster…

I knew Hyman was good, but he might score 55 at this point…

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased

I bet he won't f*cking do that again.

Cross checking someone after an empty netter is certainly a choice and I guess we'll see where the Wheel of Punishment ends up to see if Reilly does it again in the future. I'm going to guess a light suspension to signal to the little piss babies that get their panties in a bunch that they can do the same and face minimal consequences.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Cross checking someone after an empty netter is certainly a choice and I guess we'll see where the Wheel of Punishment ends up to see if Reilly does it again in the future. I'm going to guess a light suspension to signal to the little piss babies that get their panties in a bunch that they can do the same and face minimal consequences.
It's also a choice to rip a slapper from 5 feet in front of the empty net. I like the intent, just go lower than the head on the payback. Morgan Reilly also has a spotless discipline record so I can't imagine it's too extensive.

Reactions: Doggy

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
It's also a choice to rip a slapper from 5 feet in front of the empty net. I like the intent, just go lower than the head on the payback. Morgan Reilly also has a spotless discipline record so I can't imagine it's too extensive.
I didn't watch the game, maybe it was particularly heated? Big win over a rival? It doesn't matter how the goal was scored. He could've skated backwards and shot between his legs, done a Michigan, or gotten on one knee and blew it in. The infantile reaction shows alot of character.

Reactions: majormajor

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
I hope Grieg does it again. F ‘em!

Don’t want it to happen, don’t be down and have to pull your goalie. 5 seconds left, in Ottawa, I don’t blame Grieg at all.
Love Grieg and the way he plays.

Last edited:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I didn't watch the game, maybe it was particularly heated? Big win over a rival? It doesn't matter how the goal was scored. He could've skated backwards and shot between his legs, done a Michigan, or gotten on one knee and blew it in. The infantile reaction shows alot of character.
It wasn't heated at all based on what I read but he could show a little class in putting an empty net goal in a game that was already decided.

It's douche move and my mind won't change.

I guess sportsmanship goes out the window. Maybe NFL teams should stop taking a knee to run out the clock too for a victory.:rolleyes:

Reactions: Doggy

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
It wasn't heated at all based on what I read but he could show a little class in putting an empty net goal in a game that was already decided.

It's douche move and my mind won't change.

I guess sportsmanship goes out the window. Maybe NFL teams should stop taking a knee to run out the clock too for a victory.:rolleyes:
So you're totally fine if someone like Letang blasts Johnson like that in those circumstances? Alrighty then

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So Greig did a punk move at the end of a game that had no impact on anything. And the reaction is an unexpected headshot from a guy who is 40 lbs heavier? That just doesn’t seem right to me. It’s sort of like the people who said if Laine didn’t want a concussion he shouldn’t have shot at the empty net against Calgary at the end of the game.

Reactions: Jovavic and EspenK

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
It is a battle of the Bears today in the Finals of the CBJ Cup. If you want to see some good high school hockey before the Super Bowl today. Go check out your alma mater, @Viqsi

After this high school game, the high school club CBJ Cup finals is at 6:15, also at the Ice House. Dayton Stealth vs Hilliard Hockey Club.

1707676631704.jpeg

• Love

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So Greig did a punk move at the end of a game that had no impact on anything. And the reaction is an unexpected headshot from a guy who is 40 lbs heavier? That just doesn’t seem right to me. It’s sort of like the people who said if Laine didn’t want a concussion he shouldn’t have shot at the empty net against Calgary at the end of the game.
The way I phrased it in the mains thread:
Classless bullshit by Grieg (and that was absolutely classless bullshit) does not justify maliciously violent bullshit by Reilly. Find a better way to respond.

Reactions: Jovavic

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It is a battle of the Bears today in the Finals of the CBJ Cup. If you want to see some good high school hockey before the Super Bowl today. Go check out your alma mater, @Viqsi

After this high school game, the high school club CBJ Cup finals is at 6:15, also at the Ice House. Dayton Stealth vs Hilliard Hockey Club.

View attachment 818046
Sadly I won't be able to make it out there (spent my afternoon playing cards with my aunt and uncle and now will be recovering from cat allergies for the next few hours). You wouldn't happen to know of a stream or something, would you?

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Sadly I won't be able to make it out there (spent my afternoon playing cards with my aunt and uncle and now will be recovering from cat allergies for the next few hours). You wouldn't happen to know of a stream or something, would you?

The Capital Hockey Conference website says Yamo media will be covering it on their website and YouTube channel.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

So you're totally fine if someone like Letang blasts Johnson like that in those circumstances? Alrighty then

I have no problem with the Morgan Reilly reaction. He just needed to keep the stick below the neck.

You say what Grieg did had no impact on anything. Of course it had no impact on the game but it was disrespectful taunting. When you do something like that, you should expect a reaction. Just like when Nick Cousins plays dirty, he should expect a reaction. We all know Kent Johnson wouldn't do that and if he did he certainly should expect a reaction.

I'm perfectly Ok with Morgan Reilly sticking up for his team. it is something the CBJ absolutely need to do more of. Actions have consequences. Grieg should have expected a reaction and Reilly should expect a reaction from the league for what he did. His error was his stick got too high.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
You say what Grieg did had no impact on anything. Of course it had no impact on the game but it was disrespectful taunting. When you do something like that, you should expect a reaction.

I called it a punk move. I am ok with a reaction. But a head shot like that? It’s not like he took a cheap shot on a Leaf. It was a non event. Just some “show boating”. You shouldn’t expect a head shot for something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2