Around Hockey XXIV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Auston Matthews has 51 goals in 54 games.

The list of 70-goal scorers in the NHL is not long.

Since the start of the '22-'23 season, the leading goal-scorer on the Jackets is Boone Jenner. He has 44 goals since then (108 GP). Since the start of '21-'22, Patrik Laine has 54 goals (129 GP).

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
What is going on in the OHL? Is it really the best Canadian Juniors league? Is it just that it is so loaded with incredibly gifted offensive talent that the best goalie has a 2.59 GAA and just one other kid is under 3.00 while one kid has a .912 Save Percentage and just five more have tread barely above .900. Or is it just that all the goalies in the OHL right now suck?

The numbers in the WHL are like the complete opposite...seems like nobody is scoring in that league. The Q seems to be the most balanced this season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
What is going on in the OHL? Is it really the best Canadian Juniors league? Is it just that it is so loaded with incredibly gifted offensive talent that the best goalie has a 2.59 GAA and just one other kid is under 3.00 while one kid has a .912 Save Percentage and just five more have tread barely above .900. Or is it just that all the goalies in the OHL right now suck?

The numbers in the WHL are like the complete opposite...seems like nobody is scoring in that league. The Q seems to be the most balanced this season.

I started hearing scouts talk around 2020 that OHL scoring is inflated by bad defense. It's way behind the quality of WHL defense. So they'd say 90 pts in the WHL is worth more than 90 pts in the OHL. I haven't heard anyone say it's the best CHL league in a long time.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

Rempe bringing back the goon role. Plus gets the game winner. Saw this guy play against the Monsters a few weeks ago. He scored two goals in the second game and was first star. Dude was huge, noticed him instantly towering over everyone.

Edit: he has 15 minutes time on ice and 27 penalty minutes is his short career so far. LOL

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Im curious to see Rempe tonight. Hopefully hes a guy that can wake Voronkov up to that side of the game, one of the few guys that can match his size.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
My Youtube feed has fed me three videos all about PLD being somewhat of a cancer in LA. Anyone else heard of this ?

Plus many more...

McLellan called him out for lack of effort. I think he’s been better ever since the coaching change, as has the entire team.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
...and now there's a thread on the mains suggesting that that's already happened.

(Disclaimer: I haven't actually seen him play in the game in question.)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
We're 10 days away from the NHL trade deadline.

1709049492746.png

The East isn't all that compelling in terms of races. There are four Metro teams chasing Philly / WC2 and none have been able to really close the cap at all. The Rangers went on that big winning streak to basically sew up the Metro. Toronto is on a big streak and they're nearly locked into Atlantic #3 with Boston and Florida battling it out for the division.

-Washington is the closest team to WC2 (actually closer to Metro #3 by points %) but they're trying to move out Mantha, Oshie is on IR, Kuznetsov is still the in the Players Assistance Program...do they really want to sell futures to maybe get Florida in the 1st round? At least Ovi has picked up his scoring again and could finish the season with 25+ goals.
-Pittsbugh is a mess. Guentzel is hurt and sounds like the Pens want to trade him. They already traded away with their '24 1st rounder to get Karlsson. I'm not sure Dubas wants to add to a group that's currently 10th in the East. They have 13 guys with some sort of trade protection. Enjoy all those contracts!
-I thought Jack Hughes coming back was what NJ needed but they've really missed Dougie Hamilton. It's hard to overcome .892 team goaltending. They've been rumored to be in on Markstrom and Elvis, but at this point...why? I also can't imagine they're too thrilled with the production they've gotten from Meier and Palat.
-Sorokin is "only" .910 this season for the Islanders and that's not enough for them.

1709050558859.png

I guess the West is a little more exciting? Colorado is stumbling a bit in the Central at the moment but whoever wins that division has a leg up in the first round matchup. Vancouver is running away with the Pacific so we're nearly locked into an Edmonton/Vegas first round matchup. It kind of seems like Nashville is in a similar position to Philly - they're technically in a playoff spot but would rather be focusing on building towards the future, but how do you sell your team and fans and being a seller at the TDL while in a playoff position? It also sounds like Saros might be available.

The Flames probably need to sell on Hanifin and Tanev. It's rumored Gourde could be available from Seattle as they've got Beniers and Wright down the middle for a long time and it doesn't look like they're going to be in a position to go for it this year.

Seven to eight picks (depending on conditions) have already been traded from 2024's 1st round - Erik Karlsson trade, first Sean Monahan trade (potentially), Timo Meier trade (unlikely to move up to a 1st rounder), Brandon Hagel trade, Alex DeBrincat trade, second Sean Monahan trade, Claude Grioux trade, Tyler Bertuzzi trade, and the Elias Lindholm trade.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
We're 10 days away from the NHL trade deadline.

View attachment 825966

The East isn't all that compelling in terms of races. There are four Metro teams chasing Philly / WC2 and none have been able to really close the cap at all. The Rangers went on that big winning streak to basically sew up the Metro. Toronto is on a big streak and they're nearly locked into Atlantic #3 with Boston and Florida battling it out for the division.

-Washington is the closest team to WC2 (actually closer to Metro #3 by points %) but they're trying to move out Mantha, Oshie is on IR, Kuznetsov is still the in the Players Assistance Program...do they really want to sell futures to maybe get Florida in the 1st round? At least Ovi has picked up his scoring again and could finish the season with 25+ goals.
-Pittsbugh is a mess. Guentzel is hurt and sounds like the Pens want to trade him. They already traded away with their '24 1st rounder to get Karlsson. I'm not sure Dubas wants to add to a group that's currently 10th in the East. They have 13 guys with some sort of trade protection. Enjoy all those contracts!
-I thought Jack Hughes coming back was what NJ needed but they've really missed Dougie Hamilton. It's hard to overcome .892 team goaltending. They've been rumored to be in on Markstrom and Elvis, but at this point...why? I also can't imagine they're too thrilled with the production they've gotten from Meier and Palat.
-Sorokin is "only" .910 this season for the Islanders and that's not enough for them.

View attachment 825974

I guess the West is a little more exciting? Colorado is stumbling a bit in the Central at the moment but whoever wins that division has a leg up in the first round matchup. Vancouver is running away with the Pacific so we're nearly locked into an Edmonton/Vegas first round matchup. It kind of seems like Nashville is in a similar position to Philly - they're technically in a playoff spot but would rather be focusing on building towards the future, but how do you sell your team and fans and being a seller at the TDL while in a playoff position? It also sounds like Saros might be available.

The Flames probably need to sell on Hanifin and Tanev. It's rumored Gourde could be available from Seattle as they've got Beniers and Wright down the middle for a long time and it doesn't look like they're going to be in a position to go for it this year.

Seven to eight picks (depending on conditions) have already been traded from 2024's 1st round - Erik Karlsson trade, first Sean Monahan trade (potentially), Timo Meier trade (unlikely to move up to a 1st rounder), Brandon Hagel trade, Alex DeBrincat trade, second Sean Monahan trade, Claude Grioux trade, Tyler Bertuzzi trade, and the Elias Lindholm trade.
The east is pretty much decided.

The Devils are fine for the most part for the long run. They just dug too big of a hole. Just bad luck, injuries, a young defense and horrible goaltending. Meier, Palat, Hischier, Jack Hughes have all missed time with injuries but the defense and goaltending has been their real problems while the power play has gone dry. People are calling for Lindy Ruff's head. Maybe its time but it depends on the replacement. They do miss Hamilton but Nemec stepped into his spot pretty well. I just think I saw the stat recently that NJ has the youngest starting D in the NHL and they have the worst goaltending stats by a mile.

They should be sellers at this point and fix their glaring issues in the offseason while they see what they've got in Daws. He's looked pretty solid recently. I do think they move Vanecek and possibly Schmid this offseason and run with Daws and an other more experienced goalie in a tandem next year if Daws continues to look pretty solid. They'll certainly feel the pressure to acquire a proven goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad