Around Hockey XXIV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I called it a punk move. I am ok with a reaction. But a head shot like that? It’s not like he took a cheap shot on a Leaf. It was a non event. Just some “show boating”. You shouldn’t expect a head shot for something like that.
So I think we agree.

I am fine with the reaction. He just didn't need to get his stick so high. That's all. Could have been an accident. I don't think he maliciously went for his head.

Knowing the league they'll throw the book at him while worse stuff gets off with nothing.

Reactions: Doggy

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So I think we agree.

I am fine with the reaction. He just didn't need to get his stick so high. That's all. Could have been an accident. I don't think he maliciously went for his head.

Knowing the league they'll throw the book at him while worse stuff gets off with nothing.

The thing is you absolutely cannot hit the head in that situation. Accident or intentional doesn’t matter much to me. It’s like if you accidentally shoot someone. You can’t say ”Oops, I didn’t mean to kill that guy. I was shooting at the apple on his head.” He got the stick high and he hit the head. He needs a huge punishment in my opinion. I am sure the league will screw it up.

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
The thing is you absolutely cannot hit the head in that situation. Accident or intentional doesn’t matter much to me. It’s like if you accidentally shoot someone. You can’t say ”Oops, I didn’t mean to kill that guy. I was shooting at the apple on his head.” He got the stick high and he hit the head. He needs a huge punishment in my opinion. I am sure the league will screw it up.
And I don't think anybody is saying he shouldn't face consequences.

I like the fact he stuck up for his team. Grieg was a douche for doing it. The way he went about it could have been done better. case closed.

Reactions: Doggy

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That’s a bitch move from Grieg. I’d have wanted someone from my team to address it with him, grabbing his jersey collar or a little shoulder bump or even a face wash. But nothing with a stick, least of all a cross check to the head.

Reactions: koteka and EspenK

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And they say women are the emotional ones. You're all hilarious with your strutting and posturing about punk moves and insults. If you don't want a player on the other team "showing you up," consider maybe winning the game so they can't.
That’s a take. I disagree with it. I’m sorry I am so hyper emotional on this topic. You’re right I need to settle down.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I personally loved it, as a non fan of either team.

Was it a “f*** you” play by the Ottawa kid? Yeah. Was it right? Probably not. But was it good for the rivalry? Hell yeah.

Was Reilly right to approach him? Yep. Did he have to cross check him in the face? No. That was overboard.

Suspension earned. Lesson learned.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Is there a trade deadline thread and I missed it? I just read this in TA and got a chuckle. The article starts off talking about all the reasons the TDL will be unexciting this year...

"At this point, deadline day might just be 14 hours of Andrew Peeke coverage, which would presumably include pressing topics like who he is and which team he’s spent the season playing for."

LOL.

Other comment...

"there are still contenders out there looking to buy, maybe even more than usual. The law of supply and demand says that could mean prices go crazy."

Last edited:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I personally loved it, as a non fan of either team.

Was it a “f*** you” play by the Ottawa kid? Yeah. Was it right? Probably not. But was it good for the rivalry? Hell yeah.

Was Reilly right to approach him? Yep. Did he have to cross check him in the face? No. That was overboard.

Suspension earned. Lesson learned.
The lesson learned by Grieg is that it can be easy to get people to take the bait and get under peoples skin. Next time I hope he goes between the legs

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Is a slapshot to an empty net even worse than we want 10? Feels like thats showing up an opponent more.
Unwritten rules like how you score an empty netter, how you swing to a pitcher going for a perfect game, how you score at the end of a basketball game are f***ing stupid. You want to be pissy and fight Greig because you lost to a bad team? Cool. But he didnt break some stupid code, be better in the 59:56 leading up to that moment

Reactions: joybang

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The lesson learned by Grieg is that it can be easy to get people to take the bait and get under peoples skin. Next time I hope he goes between the legs
Generally I prefer asssociating with people who don't aspire to be assholes - be they petty assholes like Grieg was or violent assholes like Rielly was. One is clearly far worse than the other but neither is justified IMO.

* * *​
Is a slapshot to an empty net even worse than we want 10? Feels like thats showing up an opponent more.
That's coming from the fans, and so is quite different. You're not competing against the fans.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Generally I prefer asssociating with people who don't aspire to be assholes - be they petty assholes like Grieg was or violent assholes like Rielly was. One is clearly far worse than the other but neither is justified IMO.
Thats not being an asshole. But what is your opinion on guys like Calvert or Dubinsky? Theyve done some asshole things but it was while wearing our favorite teams jersey

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Am going to just stop considering this sub-topic because now I’m imagining that there are fans of the Blue Jackets who supported Brandon Dubinsky for cross checking Sidney Crosby in the neck rather than in spite of it who also oppose Morgan Reilly cross checking some guy in the head because what some guy did isn’t that big of a deal and Reilly is just being a p***y and that doesn’t make any sense to me and there’s got to be a way I’m not getting it so yeah like I said.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Am going to just stop considering this sub-topic because now I’m imagining that there are fans of the Blue Jackets who supported Brandon Dubinsky for cross checking Sidney Crosby in the neck rather than in spite of it who also oppose Morgan Reilly cross checking some guy in the head because what some guy did isn’t that big of a deal and Reilly is just being a p***y and that doesn’t make any sense to me and there’s got to be a way I’m not getting it so yeah like I said.

I should clarify my comment, I was actually thinking more of the parallel to Greig - both he and Dubi and Calvert would talk trash and agitate and I loved them all for it. There is also a parallel from Rielly's crosscheck to what Dubi and Calvert did at times with their sticks and that I do not support.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Dale Hunter was suspended 21 games in 1993 for a cheap shot on Pierre Turgeon after Turgeon scored a goal. Back when "the code" was respected or whatever nonsense.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
that doesn’t make any sense to me and there’s got to be a way I’m not getting it

If it is a heated playoff game and Dubinsky is trying to keep a guy from setting up shop to get a good shot and that guy has done several things in the heat of the game himself (like when he totally destroyed Methot’s finger in a stupid slash), then that is a different thing to me than cross checking a guy in the head for showboating well after the play is done.

Also, buttending a guy in the face is something I generally frown upon, but buttending a guy that supports a brutal dictator who invades other countries is something I can kind of get behind.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Went to OSU vs Wisky yesterday. There are some big boys on those two teams. Rough weekend for the #5 Badgers getting swept by the Buckeyes.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Well, the Islanders did their best CBJ impression in the outdoor game today.

Blowing a 4-1 lead and 4-2 with about 5 minutes left to lose 5-4 in OT.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Quite a unique game today, VAN@MIN: Vancouver was leading 4-1 after half of the game was played (31 minutes).

Vancouver ended up scoring 7 goals. Guess who won? Minnesota with 10 goals. Admittedly last two goals into the empty net.

SOGs were 24 for VAN and 27 for MIN. Three goalies played in this game. Best save percentage? .750% for Fleury. Gustavsson with .688% and DeSmith with .680%. Wow. I wonder if that's some kind of a record-low save pct shared between three goalies in a modern game.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Quite a unique game today, VAN@MIN: Vancouver was leading 4-1 after half of the game was played (31 minutes).

Vancouver ended up scoring 7 goals. Guess who won? Minnesota with 10 goals. Admittedly last two goals into the empty net.

SOGs were 24 for VAN and 27 for MIN. Three goalies played in this game. Best save percentage? .750% for Fleury. Gustavsson with .688% and DeSmith with .680%. Wow. I wonder if that's some kind of a record-low save pct shared between three goalies in a modern game.

3 hat tricks - is there a term for a game with a hat trick of hat tricks? :huh:

Reactions: ThirdPeriodTurtle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad