Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Dunno, it's crazy how we watch Championship teams build down a reliable middle, and in Calgary, we kind of built in an offensive way and forgot about how we need a few centres to actually be good in their own end.
This is all Treliving talked about when he joined the Flames. I think his hopes were kinda dashed with Bennett not usurping Monahan. There's still some time for Bennett to put it together there and I think Treliving still sees him being a center in the future. Our 3-year window is closing fast though...

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
Kesler had 8 goals and 14 points in 44 games this year, is 33 years old and signed for 4 more seasons @ $6.875 million.

Maybe he can bounce back but it's a big risk. Ducks would have to retain, the Flames couldn't give much up the other way, and the NMC must be voided in writing for the purposes of expansion.

Even then, it's Kesler.....yuck. Haha

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is all Treliving talked about when he joined the Flames. I think his hopes were kinda dashed with Bennett not usurping Monahan. There's still some time for Bennett to put it together there and I think Treliving still sees him being a center in the future. Our 3-year window is closing fast though...

It hurts when a pick that high struggles.

It also hurts that we sort of finished the rebuild prematurely and did it in a weird way.

This team needs another offensive talent in the worst of ways. Down the middle would be best.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It hurts when a pick that high struggles.

It also hurts that we sort of finished the rebuild prematurely and did it in a weird way.

This team needs another offensive talent in the worst of ways. Down the middle would be best.
What are you talking about, didn't you know Bennett and Jankowski are our top 2 centers?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Hmm, wonder if he waived it to come here if it would void it? Also looking at Vegas, is Seattle really that bad of an option?
I'm not sure that's how it works. I think the only way you can void a NMC/NTC is if you acquire the player before it kicks in. And he's not exactly known to be the classiest guy, so I wouldn't trust him to stick to his word that he'd waive it for expansion.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It wouldn't feel right cheering for Kesler. My hate for him is too ingrained. I did end up coming around on Bertuzzi though while he was here...

Reactions: Bounces R Way

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kesler had 8 goals and 14 points in 44 games this year, is 33 years old and signed for 4 more seasons @ $6.875 million.

Maybe he can bounce back but it's a big risk. Ducks would have to retain, the Flames couldn't give much up the other way, and the NMC must be voided in writing for the purposes of expansion.

Even then, it's Kesler.....yuck. Haha

The reasons you mentioned in the first paragraph are why he might be available for pennies on the dollar. I wouldn’t give up barely anything of significance for him.

Think Brouwer and a B asset. My thing with Kesler is he was hurt this season. It’s reasonable to think he will be better going forward. Yes I’d want retainment on him and I’d only make a very modest offer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It wouldn't feel right cheering for Kesler. My hate for him is too ingrained. I did end up coming around on Bertuzzi though while he was here...
The only Flames player I've never come around on is Versteeg, I still don't like him and my tongue hurts from biting it the last couple years

Reactions: Boomstick

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What are you talking about, didn't you know Bennett and Jankowski are our top 2 centers?

I know it's tongue in cheek; the best way to salvage Bennett is to get him on Backlund's wing for a season, those two have good speed to compliment each other.

Jankowski. Dunno. Strikes me like a 3C/4C tweener.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I know it's tongue in cheek; the best way to salvage Bennett is to get him on Backlund's wing for a season, those two have good speed to compliment each other.

I'm not going to get into debates on p;layers potentials as it's pointless, but the other day I was chatting with some of the guys in our fantasy league discord, I suggest signing someone like JVR or Neal and putting the new guy on a line with Gaudreau & Monahan and running a middle 6 of:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Bennett
Ferland - Jankowski - Frolik

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

I think the team should consider molding Jankowski into a shutdown guy. I feel like we're wasting a lot of Backlund's (and Tkachuk by proxy) offensive potential by slaughtering him with all these defensive responsibilities. There might be some growing pains to start with but Treliving didn't shore up the D for nothing.

I'd look at maybe moving Bennett up to play with Tkachuk and Backlund and slide Frolik with Janko. Don't know who plays LW on that third line though Edit: MM beat me to it

Reactions: Connor McDaigle

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm not going to get into debates on p;layers potentials as it's pointless, but the other day I was chatting with some of the guys in our fantasy league discord, I suggest signing someone like JVR or Neal and putting the new guy on a line with Gaudreau & Monahan and running a middle 6 of:

Ferland - Jankowski - Frolik

I know our board has a hard on for getting a big time RW to play on the top line, but honestly, that middle 6 is simply last year's team shuffled around; that same team that was like 5th last in goals scored. Simply not good enough.

Jankowski got spanked most nights down the middle. I'm not saying he can't improve (In fact, I'd bank on him improving as he's shown YOY) but I don't think that gets us much further than this year even if improves by, let's say, 10% it just won't be enough.

I'm a firm believer we need another C. For a number of reasons:
1) Allows Backlund to be used more effectively, similar to how he was deployed for Sweden at the last tournament.
2) Allows Monahan to get some better matchups
3) Slides Jankowski to the wing or to the 4th line, where his abilities will be best suited (either steam rolling other C's on the 4th line, or using that great shot on the wing).
4) Spreads our wealth without loading a line

Dunno. Dunno how to do it.
Aim hard for Tavares.
Maybe look at a deal with Carolina? Rask/Lindholm for Brodie/Bennett type swap?
I just think the depth needs help. We got 20+ goals from the top line RW. I really don't think it was as big of an issue as we make it on our board.

I'm good with Neal too though.

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
A 1st or 2nd line C is priority #1 in my mind too. I don't have any faith in Jankowski or Bennett being good enough to fill that role, and even then we are one injury to Monahan or Backlund away from being completely hooped.

Tavares would be unbelievable, but I'd be OK trading for any of O'Reilly, Zibanejad, Lindholm or J. Staal if available at a fair price. It'd be even more amazing if Treliving could somehow trade for two of them.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Zibanejad - _______
Ferland - Backlund - Frolik

num num num

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The forward group definitely needs improvement but again, how much of their struggles were due to coaching? Under Hartley, a much worse roster (at least on paper) never had any kind of problem scoring goals. Under Gulutzan, a much better roster (again, on paper) consistently struggled.

It doesn't seem wise to write everyone off at this point in time or too expect massive sweeping changes before we even get a chance to see what a new coach can get out of them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I know our board has a hard on for getting a big time RW to play on the top line, but honestly, that middle 6 is simply last year's team shuffled around; that same team that was like 5th last in goals scored. Simply not good enough.

Jankowski got spanked most nights down the middle. I'm not saying he can't improve (In fact, I'd bank on him improving as he's shown YOY) but I don't think that gets us much further than this year even if improves by, let's say, 10% it just won't be enough.

I'm a firm believer we need another C. For a number of reasons:
1) Allows Backlund to be used more effectively, similar to how he was deployed for Sweden at the last tournament.
2) Allows Monahan to get some better matchups
3) Slides Jankowski to the wing or to the 4th line, where his abilities will be best suited (either steam rolling other C's on the 4th line, or using that great shot on the wing).
4) Spreads our wealth without loading a line

Dunno. Dunno how to do it.
Aim hard for Tavares.
Maybe look at a deal with Carolina? Rask/Lindholm for Brodie/Bennett type swap?
I just think the depth needs help. We got 20+ goals from the top line RW. I really don't think it was as big of an issue as we make it on our board.

I'm good with Neal too though.
As you know I don't buy much into advanced stats, but last year our shooting percentage was so damn low. I really think it was regulate itself this year, even a 1% increase in shooting percentage this year would have seen an improvement of almost 30 goals and suddenly we're middle of the pack in both goals and shooting percentage. Also with Jankowski, I'm not sure he was as bad as you think he was, he made his share of mistakes, but all rookies do. Considering how few goals that line was on the ice for, the fact Janko was just -7 is actually fairly impressive ( I hate +/-, but I think this is one of the few scenarios that it's relevant. I also think he would learn a ton about being a two-way player playing with Frolik.

As for adding a C, I'm not against it, but if we do, I think we see Bennett moved and Janko shifted to LW. Tavares would be great, but he's a pipe dream, someone like Stastny of Bozak is significantly more realistic.

As for your trade idea, Carolina doesn't really need a defenseman. But Bennett+ for Lindholm would be fantastic IMO.

Using your idea of adding a C and mine of adding a RW, what about something like this?

- Bennett & Ferland for Simmonds
- Sign Bozak for 3 years @ 4 million AAV

Gaudreau - Monahan - Simmonds
Tkachuk - Backlund - _______
Jankowski - Bozak - Frolik
_______ - Shore - Brouwer
x: Lazar, Hathaway

Last edited:

Flamesfan62

Oct 21, 2016
Prince Edward Island
As you know I don't buy much into advanced stats, but last year our shooting percentage was so damn low. I really think it was regulate itself this year, even a 1% increase in shooting percentage this year would have seen an improvement of almost 30 goals and suddenly we're middle of the pack in both goals and shooting percentage. Also with Jankowski, I'm not sure he was as bad as you think he was, he made his share of mistakes, but all rookies do. Considering how few goals that line was on the ice for, the fact Janko was just -7 is actually fairly impressive ( I hate +/-, but I think this is one of the few scenarios that it's relevant. I also think he would learn a ton about being a two-way player playing with Frolik.

As for adding a C, I'm not against it, but if we do, I think we see Bennett moved and Janko shifted to LW. Tavares would be great, but he's a pipe dream, someone like Stastny of Bozak is significantly more realistic.

As for your trade idea, Carolina doesn't really need a defenseman. But Bennett+ for Lindholm would be fantastic IMO.

Using your idea of adding a C and mine of adding a RW, what about something like this?

- Bennett & Ferland for Simmonds
- Sign Bozak for 3 years @ 4 million AAV

Gaudreau - Monahan - Simmonds
Jankowski - Bozak - Frolik
_______ - Shore - Brouwer
x: Lazar, Hathaway
How do you trade Bennett then put him in the lineup?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That was pretty clearly a mistake, I'm surprised with your infinite wisdom you couldn't figure that out.

See I don’t mind it, but Bozak is another guy you have to shelter. I just don’t think it’s a fit for us personally.

Like I mentioned previously; we need dependable centres down the middle. Adding someone like Bozak just puts another guy we have to use Backlund more for. Statsny would be good, but I think he’s going to get paid; and he’s at an age where people can make contract mistakes.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Excited for the draft/free agency... this post season seems eternal holy cow... I have watched a fair bit of the games. Just seems like its lasting forever.

Even though we don't have a pick in this draft (in the good rounds), I will still watch the 1st round and hope Tre pulls off some magic.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Excited for the draft/free agency... this post season seems eternal holy cow... I have watched a fair bit of the games. Just seems like its lasting forever.

Even though we don't have a pick in this draft (in the good rounds), I will still watch the 1st round and hope Tre pulls off some magic.

I'm going to be house boating come draft time. It'll be the first time I miss it in over a decade.
One of my favourite days as a hockey fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad