Speculation: Armchair GM Thread Mk. II - Now Paging Derek Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'd rather ship Brouwer off to the Ducks for Perry. Many of you may not like Perry, but I think we become a better team with Perry in the top 6.

Brouwer for Perry straight up or Brouwer @ 50% for Perry @ 25%. Perry would be around roughly 6.5m, keeping him under the Giordano/Gaudreau cap.

I'd gladly do that. I think Frolik for Perry with a bit of retention would be what Anaheim would want though.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Perry

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'd gladly do that. I think Frolik for Perry with a bit of retention would be what Anaheim would want though.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Bennett - Backlund - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Jankowski - Perry

We're already doing Anaheim enough of a solid taking away 6.5m from their cap for one year. I think it's not horrible giving Brouwer to them. Besides, I really like Frolik as our 3rd liner more than Brouwer. Brouwer is still a serviceable player and even better at only 2.25m.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Jankowski is very adept at distributing the puck, more so than scoring goals (although Janko has such a gorgeous wrister) had Bennett been able to bury even a fraction of his chances, Jankowski would have added a bunch of apples too.
His decision making, at the NHL level is too slow and he isn’t exactly elusive. This could still improve with time but as it sits, he makes a far better shooter.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd rather ship Brouwer off to the Ducks for Perry. Many of you may not like Perry, but I think we become a better team with Perry in the top 6.

Brouwer for Perry straight up or Brouwer @ 50% for Perry @ 25%. Perry would be around roughly 6.5m, keeping him under the Giordano/Gaudreau cap. Saves the Ducks a ton of space (unfortunately), but gives us a player that we know can score and has done it in the past.
I’d rather pay Brouwer $4.5 for one more season and buy him out, than pay Perry $6.5, for 3 more years, to put up 40 points. He’s been declining for 3 or 4 years now and has a NMC, that I’d rather not get involved with.

Reactions: Rockmorton

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I’d rather pay Brouwer $4.5 for one more season and buy him out, than pay Perry $6.5, for 3 more years, to put up 40 points. He’s been declining for 3 or 4 years now and has a NMC, that I’d rather not get involved with.

Even if he is declining, he still put up a .69 ppg last season. If declining means going to .65 or .6, I am okay with that. It beats Brouwer's .3PPG any day of the week. That's double the production. And, he's only 2 seasons past putting up 30 goals. Hell, I'd even be fine with Perry at 20 goals, 45 points and just being an agitator. Brouwer doesn't bring that intensity.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was discussing this at the draft party with a couple guys, but after looking at the financial side of it, I don't think Brouwer gets bought out at all. Most of us know there is zero chance it happens this summer, so if it were done next year, it would cost the Flames 3 million in actual dollars and a 1,5 million per year for 2 years as a cap penalty. The point of a buyout in most cases is to save money. They won't be getting a suitable replacement for Brouwer for 1.5 million, so they won't actually save any actual dollars and with how Flames ownership hates paying guys to pay for other NHL clubs, I could see him staying with the team until his contract is done.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I was discussing this at the draft party with a couple guys, but after looking at the financial side of it, I don't think Brouwer gets bought out at all. Most of us know there is zero chance it happens this summer, so if it were done next year, it would cost the Flames 3 million in actual dollars and a 1,5 million per year for 2 years as a cap penalty. The point of a buyout in most cases is to save money. They won't be getting a suitable replacement for Brouwer for 1.5 million, so they won't actually save any actual dollars and with how Flames ownership hates paying guys to pay for other NHL clubs, I could see him staying with the team until his contract is done.
It isn’t outside the realm of possibility, now. The Hamilton trade changed the whole dynamics of the team. With Lindholm’s addition and Peters hinting at Tkachuk on the right side, Frolik slides from our best RW, to our 3rd best. Now if we do sign a UFA and happen to need a little space, Frolik would be far easier to move, with a similar cap hit.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised to see Stone and Frolik gone before Brouwer

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Would trading Brodie and signing a free D man work.

Brodie

For

Saad

Sign De Haan.

Does this work?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Would trading Brodie and signing a free D man work.

Brodie

For

Saad

Sign De Haan.

Does this work?
Not well. Peters has already said Brodie will be playing with Gio, on the right side. Hanifin will be playing Brodie’s spot, last year

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I'd take Perry at full cap hit and I'd take back everythig bad I said about the Dougie trade if Brad could get him for cheap/free

Guy is still a hell of a player imo

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
P

Peters also already said gio and Hamilton were playing together

You are very correct sir, what a team says and does are totally different (does this mean that TJ Brodie is going to get traded and we sign a new D man, no.) We traded a D Man and a forward for a D man and a forward, we still need another top 6 or a top 9 forward, the team may decide that they have someone internally to fill the spot or they may feel there is no one internally to fill that spot(I don't think there is anyone internally, so they will likely go the UFA route or trade route, I think there will be another trade that is made, maybe a big one or a small one(more likely.)

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
P

Peters also already said gio and Hamilton were playing together
No, he actually said he wouldn’t split them up.....and he didn’t, Treliving did. Also, it might just be me favouring our own players, but De Haan is a real down grade from Brodie. The thought of paying him the same money as Brodie, out of free agency kinda turns my stomach.

Last edited:

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I’ve been saying it for a while now but Ho Sang is exactly what Bennett and Jankowski need! Attitude aside, probably one of the top 5 most talented 20+ year olds, not currently playing in the NHL.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Not that we would get either on reasonable deals, but who would you rather have, Neal or Perron?

Pros to Neal:
-He's a sniper.
-More physical and has better offensive track record.

Cons to Neal:
-He has had two mep years in a role, one on a Vegas team in which everyone improved.
-His style doesn't age that well.
-Still doesn't give us a left point threat on the PP as he's a LHS.

Pros to Perron:
-He's a RHS
-He's much better defensively than Neal and can draw heavy comp very well.
-Just had a career year and looks to repeat it.

Cons to Perron:
-Having a career year probably means his demands are unreasonable.
-Not really a shooter, although he has shown he can be a threat on the PP with Edmonton.
-Ages better than Neal, but still not well.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
"Francis: Flames admit they aren't done adding help."

The Calgary Flames aren’t done making moves yet.

Not by a long shot.

So says the architect of the team, as well as the coach, who shared several insights that should excite fans.

In the midst of discussing how he plans to incorporate the two newest players in his lineup, Bill Peters stopped himself while discussing plans to use new Flame Noah Hanifin as the lone blue liner on the second power play.

“It’s Geoff’s (associate coach Geoff Ward) power play, and we’ll be moving guys around, but we’ll also be adding some power play help when we get back to Calgary (through free agency),” said Peters, who coached Saturday’s acquisitions Hanifin and Elias Lindholm in Carolina.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Quote:
Added GM Brad Treliving when asked about Lindholm on the top line, “I wouldn’t pencil anyone in as we’re still going to go out to get some help up front. We’re not done making our team better.”
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Francis: Flames admit they aren’t done adding help

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would prefer Neal; he's the better goal scorer. But of course, it all comes down cap and hit term. Perron is 30 while Neal will be 31 soon so anything more than five years for either would be a mistake.

Also from that article:
What might excite Flames fans more is a plan Peters has to use Matthew Tkachuk on the top line during the preseason to see how seamlessly the lefty can make the transition to the right side.

“I want to see Chucky on that side to see how he looks there,” said Peters, who has discussed with Tkachuk the possibility of putting the franchise’s top three forwards all on one line.

“I told him I want him working in the off-season on picking up rims and being in the d-zone on his off wing. He’ll do it in the preseason and I’ll put Lindy in the middle.”

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Lindholm-???
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Shore-Brouwer

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
So Perry had been asked a while ago to submit a list of teams he would accept a trade to. I would bet that he doesn't want to leave so he probably filled that list with division rivals.

If Anaheim wants to get rid of him he would make an excellent 2RW and would replace some of the nastiness lost in the Hanifin trade.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Probably not a surprise with how he played post-trade and his salary number, but G Petr Mrazek is not expected to be qualified by Philadelphia.
Mostly because he’s horrible. I don’t know what happened to him but it doesn’t appear a change of scenery did the trick. I’d much rather role with Gillies or Rittich as back up

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Would prefer Neal; he's the better goal scorer. But of course, it all comes down cap and hit term. Perron is 30 while Neal will be 31 soon so anything more than five years for either would be a mistake.

Also from that article:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Lindholm-???
Jankowski-Backlund-Frolik
Mangiapane-Shore-Brouwer

Tkachuk is way too smart of a player, he would thrive with Mony and Johnny. I actually do wonder if Elias could be a better move though considering his speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad